18 Y/o, Been Losing Hair Since 16 And...

Aaron1998

My Regimen
Reaction score
I dont expect anyone to read all of this because it would take too much time out of your precious day. But for the rare chance that someone does, I just don't think I can cope anymore by telling myself everything will be alright. I'm not able to wait 6+ years for Tsuji to figure out this conundrum that is hair loss. I stay in my room all day just wasting away days that I'll never be able to get back. I have a twin sister that just went into college and I should be there with her, having fun and getting an education. But I'm a norwood 3 climbing & diffused at 18. I couldnt stay in high school anymore because girls that used to want to date me and would stare at me and even grab my butt (not trying to be funny), then started laughing at me and mocking me. I got mocked in front of my whole clas, this guy said i"hey I think you're starting to lose your hair" and when I tried to ignore it, he made sure to point out what parts he thought were thinning of my hair. Well no sh*t captain obvious, you think I don't know I'm losing hair? Since I dropped out, I then got a GED which isnt worth jack sh*t in this day & age, and I just feel hopeless. I've been chronically depressed since I was 13 as is, then throw this cherry on top and it's just becoming too much to bear. My mom tells me to get a job, but honestly I'd rather sit in jail like my dad has done for most of his life. My mom doesnt even care, when I tell her how much hair loss is affecting me, she just says "sorry, what do you want me to do about it?". All of this is just making me insane and I've been hearing voices in my head for the past year as well. I'm writing this to rant and make myself feel better, but I already know the type of responses I'm going to get. "Yeah I completely understand how tough this is for you, but you cant let it stop you." Where are the people at who've been losing hair since the ripe age of 16? I dont care if you started losing your hair at 27, you dont understand and never will understand what it's like for someone like me. Baldness is looked at with such disgust, which sometimes makes me feel like the only way out is killing myself since I've already been suicidal from a young age (actually suicidal, not just the typical teenage drama queen b**ch) and anti depressants dont work on me either. What the f*** am I supposed to do? I'm still a virgin because I was admittedly a shy introvert, but I could still get girls somehow. WELP, that version of me is long gone and every day I'm trying to figure out who I am because the person I used to be is just a memory. Honestly I wish that my life was never created because never in a million years did I think my life was going to turn out this way. What the f*** am I supposed to do in a situation like this? Honestly?

spring15

My Regimen
Reaction score
You are young, and new treatments are just around the corner. There are people here in their 30s-40s on who have experienced what you have all their life, you probably won't have to go down the same road as them

Aaron1998

My Regimen
Reaction score
You are young, and new treatments are just around the corner. There are people here in their 30s-40s on who have experienced what you have all their life, you probably won't have to go down the same road as them
well let's hope that these new treatments actually do come out, and history doesnt just repeat itself once again.

Ken10

My Regimen
Reaction score
Damn dude. Sorry to hear about that. Seems like you have a lot more going on than just hair loss, but here's what you should do. First: find something to keep you busy, keep you distracted. I'd recommend working out. Especially when you're thinning, you want something that can make you confident in your physical appearance, and getting big is a great way to do that. Start going to a gym, or even do exercises at home (but getting in the habit of going to the gym is the best option). Next, get a job. You gotta stay busy, and this is a great way to do it. If you don't like being constantly judged by others, work somewhere where you don't have to interact with customers on a daily basis. You can also wear a hat. Finally, stop hanging out with people that bully and make fun of you for the way you look. You deserve better than that. Try to seek out co-workers or people you meet to hang out with, and before you know it, you've built up a solid base of acquaintances.

In terms of treating your hair, try to start getting on the "Big Three" regimen. This is finasteride (propecia, proscar, fincar etc, available through prescription) nizoral 2% shampoo (buy anywhere), and rogaine foam 5% (available at any drug store). Do these, and you have a good chance of halting hair loss completely. It'd be helpful to see pictures of your hair to see how urgent the problem is. Post some pics and I'll let you know what I think.

In conclusion, stay strong and stay distracted. Hair loss is a b**ch, so the more you keep it out of your mind, the better. Good luck, and here's to you getting your life back.

Baldingat188

Reaction score
Hey , I am also 18 and have noticed my hair thinning. 8 first noticed it about 7 months ago and it causes me lots of anxiety on a regular basis. Pretty much I just function by wearing a hat all the time . I haven't started on propecia yet , but I've been on rogaine and nizoral (2 of the big 3) however I have not noticed any benefits from the drugs *yet*

I'm still weighing the options with propecia and what else to do. It really is a shitty situation

I also totally know what you mean about how hairloss is the " cherry on top" because I've felt like this to . Even before hair loss I had anxiety and worried about my apperence A lot. Add in the fact I'm 5"6 and losing my hair at 18 ... fml lol

The only thing I try to do is distract myself and wear a hat . It's all I can do really for the time being . I find activities I can do by myself bring me the most peace when it comes to not thinking about hair loss .

IggyPop

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey Aaron,

not sure whether you wanna hear what I am telling you, since I started losing my hair around 23, but I also have parents who didn´t give a f*** about me and I got bullied a lot. Just, wanna tell you that I have also felt suicidal many times, but some time later I was ALWAYS glad I didn´t do it, even when the situation looked completly hopeless. You are probably not gonna listen, but I feel I should tell you this nevertheless: The voices in your head could be a sign you are developing schizophrenia. I am no expert, but I think this condition can still be reversed at an early stage.

I agree with the advice from Ken. Working out or starting running if you don´t like to be around other people is a good way to become confident. From what you are telling you are probably not bad looking, so get on a regimen to keep your hair. Generics from online pharmacies are VERY cheap.

Good Luck and try not to give a f*** what other people think or say about you (not that I could do this, but at least I try!)