15 Years Old And Balding. Losing Hair As A Teenager.

Sokubo

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
It's very normal for boys and girls to start receding in their early to mid teens. At least half of my students, girls too display this. The juvenile NW0 hairline recedes to an NW1 hairline, maybe NW2 in some by late teens or early 20s. Lots of girls start showing wispy hair at the edge of their hairline too.

I wouldn't say it's normal at all. I starting receding/thinning when I was 14 or 15 on my hairline, but certainly most teenagers don't. You can't compare girls either because they have an entirely different hair loss (primarily thinning) in their pattern. Most women do have thin, but never thinning, hairs on their hairline though.

There are some out there though who do start at that age, and this original poster isn't one.

I feel really bad for those out there who do start young, though.

GoldenMane

My Regimen
Reaction score
I wouldn't say it's normal at all. I starting receding/thinning when I was 14 or 15 on my hairline, but certainly most teenagers don't. You can't compare girls either because they have an entirely different hair loss (primarily thinning) in their pattern. Most women do have thin, but never thinning, hairs on their hairline though.

There are some out there though who do start at that age, and this original poster isn't one.

I feel really bad for those out there who do start young, though.

Among young Asian girls it's VERY common. Among my 12-15 year old students, I'd say at least 25% if girls seem to have thinning of their juvenile hairlines, by age 18-20 it seems their hairlines are significantly higher. Boys less so.

Henry Samson

Reaction score
Hey all. I know people keep saying I'm fine but I'm super paranoid. I have a couple more questions, mainly though I need to know if hair can look thinner when dirty. After a day outside running around my hair looks like I've got plugs or something... I also use some product, which makes it feel greasy. image.jpegimage.jpeg
Also, after my shower I was looking at my hair and it looks pretty bad here. It is wet, but idk if that can account for how thin it looks. image.jpeg
Last of all, thanks to everyone who responds. I know I'm probably pretty annoying to others with more loss, but I'm really worried about this still.

Henry Samson

Reaction score
image.jpegHere's another picture of me after sweating and exercising with product in my hair. Does that make it look thinner? Because it does not regularly look like this. It looks thin, especially under my bathroom light (which is not super high wattage)

Henry Samson

Reaction score
Hey guys I feel like I need to post these. I feel like my hair looks really bad here. What do y'all think? My hair line has a bunch of empty follicles? What is up with that?
image.jpeg

Also I seem to have some thinness in a small v on the center of my forehead
image.jpeg

And finally I have this picture of my vertex. Does it look bad too?
image.jpeg

I know I seem dumb but if I lose my hair in high school I basically will lose any social life or girls I could get.

whatevr

My Regimen
Reaction score
Vertex looks great. About the hairline, so far it's hard to say it's kinda neither here nor there. Maybe it is just like that naturally.
Forget about it for now, come back 6 months later with new pictures. Then you will see if anything's really happening.

Cue Bald

Experienced Member
Reaction score
your hair is fine dude. research the mature hairline. you can go upto NW2 without having male pattern baldness.

Henry Samson

Reaction score
Hey thanks for replying to everyone! I have a couple of questions though. If my dad is bald but his isn't, does that change any chances? Also, is my mom has no bald guys on her side of the family, except my cousin, does that lower my chances? Also, when I comb my hair after the shower while it's still wet, I will sometimes lose no hair/see no hair I the comb, while other nights, I see 20-30 hairs. Is this normal? It really freaks me out when it's a lot, and it doesn't help that my hair looks like sh*t when wet.

Señor AIDidaS

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey thanks for replying to everyone! I have a couple of questions though. If my dad is bald but his isn't, does that change any chances? Also, is my mom has no bald guys on her side of the family, except my cousin, does that lower my chances? Also, when I comb my hair after the shower while it's still wet, I will sometimes lose no hair/see no hair I the comb, while other nights, I see 20-30 hairs. Is this normal? It really freaks me out when it's a lot, and it doesn't help that my hair looks like sh*t when wet.

Every family member counts, but I would say the general consensus is that the family members more directly related to you are the most important.

Look at your dad, and both your grandfathers first, then look at your uncles, and then your cousins. Even if there is a family history, I wouldn't worry about it until you start showing definite signs, or you reach the age where most of them started going bald.

Anything can happen. I've seen guys with extensive family history not go bald, and I've seen guys with a perfect family history go bald in their 20's. Like everything else in life, hair genetics is a crapshoot.

Also the hairs you see coming out are very very normal. Hair runs in cycles, and will fall out at the end of each cycle. You also have very fine hair, but it is very dense, so there is a lot of it. This means you shouldn't be alarmed if more than that falls out either.

Last edited:

N003

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
1. Perfect hairs and no male pattern baldness ;)
But you are very young ;)

2. No your father is not a reference. You can become bald even if your dad has full hairs.
Also possible : Father full baldness and son norwood 0 or perfect hairs :

112383294-orlando-bloom-and-his-father-during-gettyimages.jpg

There is no guarantee.

Señor AIDidaS

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
1. Perfect hairs and no male pattern baldness ;)
But you are very young ;)

2. No your father is not a reference. You can become bald even if your dad has full hairs.
Also possible : Father full baldness and son norwood 0 or perfect hairs :

112383294-orlando-bloom-and-his-father-during-gettyimages.jpg

There is no guarantee.

It's funny you bring Orlando up, I was just looking at his hair the other day. It may just be the way he's got his hair styled, but he's been showing more temple as of late.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    107.9 KB · Views: 1,162

N003

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
It's funny you bring Orlando up, I was just looking at his hair the other day. It may just be the way he's got his hair styled, but he's been showing more temple as of late.

True but hey he is 39 years old. Amazing hairs for a 39 old guy or not? ;)

Henry Samson

Reaction score
Hey guys thanks for checking out my pictures. I recently got a super short and really awful haircut, and this picture is freaking me out. My sides look very thin, and not like my temples, but the sides of my head. I've seen a few other people with this, but is it normal?image.jpeg
This was also after I slept on this side so that may have contributed to it?

Adbivg

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey guys thanks for checking out my pictures. I recently got a super short and really awful haircut, and this picture is freaking me out. My sides look very thin, and not like my temples, but the sides of my head. I've seen a few other people with this, but is it normal?View attachment 42820
This was also after I slept on this side so that may have contributed to it?
How is your hair now mate? it's been years! The answer would be very helpful!