15 and balding?!

amibalding

Reaction score
So it all started around when I had just turned 15... I wasn't even really stressed honestly, but I noticed everybody would stare at the right side of my head in the hallways. Eventually I used the front camera of my phone, and it was this massive bald spot, and I mean massive. This was the first day I had ever saw it, and honestly it scared me so bad I had my mom come pick me up from school. I would honestly everyday since then, I've taken a video of the side of my right head of morning before school. The bald spot got considerably smaller though for some odd reason.. I can probably add pictures later on, I mean this bald spot went from the size of.. I'd say like a nickel to down to about smaller than a penny. I went to the doctor and she diagnosed me with Alopecia Areata. She gave me 0.05% Fluociononide and told me apply twice daily. The bald spot has still shrunken but I havent really been using it like I was supposed to simply because I can just style over it very easily. But I'd say when I was about 15.5 I started to notice that in the middle of my head my hairline was going back, at first I didn't think much of it because you know I'm 15 years old.. I couldn't be balding, could I? It got to the points where my peers were even noticing my hairline was receding. This continued on for some months, then one day I was in the halls and my friend told me I was going bald in the back. I started using anti thinning shampoo and greases like crazy. I recently went to the doctor's and I asked her, "Am I going bald?" She told me that it was clear I had had some recession, but she didn't notice any thinning in the back. Mind my haircut was very low, I plan on going back when I've grown my hair out because I believe its thinning. I need your opinions, am I balding? I saw on that Norwood scale that pattern 2 is where the back doesnt thin but your hairline just recedes until you get the same effect. My hairline is definitely receding but my hair is thick and full everywhere else.. my doctor told me she thinks its just some hormonal imbalances because of puberty but I mean who else does this happen to. this isnt normal. thoughts and opinions? i think my doctor is wrong simply because my hair is very low and does the bald spot hint at any clue that this is not male pattern baldness, possibly something else?

Vlatch

Established Member
Reaction score
Pics ?
Some people start losing hair early, I started at 12, hello puberty.

amibalding

Reaction score
http://imgur.com/4MN6Uj5

http://imgur.com/ZS33xGP

That's my hair currently, I have a part in my hair, I don't think it'll be growing back either lmao. Gonna have to get my hairline pushed farther upwards, ugh, oh well. I don't really have any before pics, but I can tell you for sure my hairline has receded at least an inch. I'm not even 16 yet, I'm still 15 dude. It's receding like crazy.

TD500

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Tough to say really, the back of the head picture is hard to tell if its thin or not try to take one in natural light with no flash, front however looks uneven. I've read somewhere that alopecia areata could eventually develop into totalis/universalis/incognita. I'm unaware of what it's beggining stages look like, still you should check into that.

I would go see a hair transplant surgeon or dermatologist who is really knowledgeable about hair. If it is male pattern baldness I don't think finasteride would be advisable for your age, but hopefully its not male pattern baldness and something less hellish.

Hate seeing young kids go through this shiit.

dusty

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Can you post a picture of the top of your head?
Most people don't start thinning at the crown until there hair loss has progressed much further. Your hairline is probably a NW1 but it looks irregular.
Not sure if this is male pattern baldness.
You need to see a dermatologist in order for them to give you an accurate diagnosis

amibalding

Reaction score
What is your maternal grandfather's/ your father's hair like?
both of my maternal grandparents are bald & my father is 34 with a full head of hair. guess the bald gene skipped a generation. and yes i'll post more pictures soon i just got out of school.

Wolf Pack

My Regimen
Reaction score
You look to be balding. So young. See a Doctor to do the miniaturisation tests and then if you have male pattern baldness, get on Rogaine. You definitely can't do anything else currently. Good luck bro.

amibalding

Reaction score
You look to be balding. So young. See a Doctor to do the miniaturisation tests and then if you have male pattern baldness, get on Rogaine. You definitely can't do anything else currently. Good luck bro.

God.. one off the worst things Ive heard in my life. :-(

- - - Updated - - -

http://imgur.com/NztCQnF/

http://imgur.com/Lc8Bp5m/

http://imgur.com/y9eAKj8/

Not gonna lie at school the back of my head is starting to get stared at, never has happened before. I'm thinking thininng is starting to become visible. My doctor didn't prescribe me any anti-balding products because she didn't she any thinning in the back, she told me that was a good thing. But isn't the balding process where the hairline recedes super far back then the back thins? Not sure but I'm getting a very bad feeling she was wrong. I don't want to be bald dude, I'm freakin 15. This sucks man, she thinks my hairline is receding and will stop due to hormones. I think she's BSing and wants me to accept balding. I won't do it.

amibalding

Reaction score
Honestly, I am balding. My next question is what can I do to maintain my current hairline and increase thickness throughout my hair. I've caught my balding very early, and hairline isn't even noticeable yet. What should I get on immediately that shouldnt have me/ my hormones? Monoxodil? What else?

I.D WALKER

Reaction score
You could add Nizoral shampoo.