12 years minoxidil, then sudden regrowth

Notmuchthere432

Reaction score
Greetings gents, I first logged on and started posting here on HairLossTalk.com about 15 years ago, when I recall it first started. I've checked in a few times over the years, but thought I would post this after noticing something that compelled me to log back in and post (I had prior logons that I do not remember).

I am 45 now, white male, good shape, normal life. Usually shave my head, either with a razor or #1 guard. Blonde hair. Started thinning around 2000 (30 years old), standard crown and a bit in the front.

Around 2000 or so, I ordered Propecia, and had the usual upswing in sexual interest (and blood flow), good hairgrowth, then I started to feel weird, this was before all the horror stories. I just lost interest in sex, and got some mild gyno. I went off it after a few months and was back to normal.

In Sept of 2003, I started Rogaine/minoxidil. I have used it continuously since, either Rogaine or generic minoxidil.

About two more times over the years, I tried Proscar and/or propecia again, these two times (perhaps around 2005 and then again 2010 and for a short time in late 2014, I could be wrong on the years), I got several scalp acne, and some side effects (nothing horrendous, just lower urges). I still get bouts of scalp acne. My only real sexual side effect was, as noted, loss of interest and no morning wood. All that went away each time I stopped using finasteride, although I still get the acne on my scalp (EXCEPT WHEN I SHAVE MY HEAD WITH A RAZOR consistently for a few days...then it goes away...like it's somehow related to growing, even THINNING hair, the natural oils in my hair being a problem. not sure.) I also tried Revigogen a couple times, and just figured it was crap (and stunk too bad).

I work out a lot and power lift and I never noticed any changes in strength or anything. I just shave my head or keep it super short and I look pretty good, although I miss my hair still, like any guy--I once had nice blond hair, I basically got on with life, worked out, used minoxidil and lifted heavy. I've had several children, great job, blah blah.

Anyhow, so the years went on and I resigned to basically using minoxidil and having a Jason Stathem head of hair--just slightly more up front. About 6 months ago, I started taking over-the-counter sleeping pills, and I either took the one that had Diphenhydramine, or the other one, Doxylamine. I tried to vary them a bit but basically, thinking maybe that was healthier (??), other than drinking red wine (about two glasses a day) working out with heavy weights (I compete) and taking a sleeping pill every single night, with no problems, I lead a very normal life.

Well, I noticed the other day, when I let my hair grow out, something I have only done a few times, but indeed HAVE done a few times WELL after minoxidil should be working...my hair is filling in. My wife even used to kid me "Do they make a minoxidil...that uhm, works?" haha. Becuase every time I grew up to even say, a half inch, you could see the bald spot and the front with the thinning on the upper front sides.

Well, even this week she noticed too and was basically like, "Your hair...it's weird, it almost looks normal, like it's filling in". Now had I ONLY ever shaved it since starting minoxidil in 2003, one could claim, well, you never grew it out so you never knew...but I have let it go a few times, only to realize ****, if anything, the minoxidil is only letting me KEEP the semi-horseshoe I have, lol.

So I post, after googling a bit...it's weird. the ONLY thing I have changed in my life is, I almost ALWAYS have a glass or two of red wine each day, and I have been taking one sleeping aid every nite (without ever missing a nite). I'm taking the Target Brand
Diphenhydramine one for now (bought a few bottles).

is there ANY actual evidence that this stuff does something good for the scalp? Unless it helps with inflammation (or the wine does), I dunno. I DO still sometimes get scalp acne, but overall, my hair actually looks decent now. So now I am wondering where it will go in the coming months. I plan on adding Lipogaine also (Oh, and I bought T-Gel the other day...Target had it, and it was cheaper than the Nizoral).

I have not had any side effects, no limp dick or tittes or anything...I just sleep well. I usually have wine with dinner around 5pm, then go to bed around 10:30pm, and take the pill then.

Not spamming, no BS (I know I don't have a posting history really). Anyone else ever notice this? Am I onto something? I have no idea why, if this was the minoxidil, I would NEVER have had these kinds of results over the last 12 years.

Alright. Just thought I'd post. Nite folks.

Wolf Pack

My Regimen
Reaction score
Interesting share. Do you have some pictures? It would be really great to see this. I am not sure why/how it happened. I know in one of the trials they said some people were still regrowing after 5 years. But 12 years later is crazy, especially as there was no growth before this and it was steady.

Notmuchthere432

Reaction score
Interesting share. Do you have some pictures? It would be really great to see this. I am not sure why/how it happened. I know in one of the trials they said some people were still regrowing after 5 years. But 12 years later is crazy, especially as there was no growth before this and it was steady.

I don't have any specifically of my scalp/hair, but definitely can start taking some, although it wouldn't show the new growth I've had over the years, or compared to prior years, of course.

Once I started using Rogaine in 2003, I noticed that any time I grew my hair out (meaning, even 1/2 to an inch), my hair loss was about the same as it was in 2000...so I think the Minoxidil really just held it in check, even as of a few months ago. So I don't know if I ever ever had true "regrowth" from Rogaine/minoxidil, although I probably did, just was small. Clearly, I've been on it a LONG time. I would have stuck with proscar/propecia if it didn't put my scalp in utter misery...scalp acne is VERY PAINFUL and feels like giant bruises, and there was no question it was caused by the proscar (my wife could always tell "Oh, are you back on that stuff? I see little mountains of zits on your head", then I'd go off and it would clear up. Ever since though, I still get about 5 zits every few weeks, unless I am shower/shaving my head bald consistently, which is what I've typically done.

I will be curious if this regrowth continues and if Lipogaine helps (heard it would). Right now, I am strictly minoxidil with T-Gel....drink Red Wine and take the antihistimine. When I googled it, it seemed like if anything, some claimed it could CAUSE hair loss.

I dunno, it's a mystery, but I do know this, my blonde hair is definitely coming back!

Boulala

Reaction score
That's really cool and at the same time very weird, man. Sounds implausible that sleeping pills or red wine would cause hair growth. Would be interesting to see some before/after pictures!