"100 Hairs Lost A Day Is Normal" Source Request

HeadGrass

My Regimen
Reaction score
I have been thinking. Why does the hair on the side of my head and on the back never shed at all? I can pull them all day yet not a single one comes out. I also fondly remember the past 20 years barring the last 2 years when the shedding began, I never had any hair fall out whatsoever. It doesn't add up? Today, if I pull at my hairline, I will get hairs sticking to my hand, yet it won't happen to the sides, or it wouldn't have happened 3 years ago at all. So how is this normal to have 100 hairs lost a day? I have become sceptical after giving it a minute's thought and would like to evaluate the source on this statement that is being thrown around by everyone and their dog.

Regardless, I hope I am wrong in this. I really hope losing an unbelievable amount of hair at all times is normal.

AnxiousAndy

My Regimen
Reaction score
For some it is. Most people shed 50 - 100 hairs a day. I'm similar to you in regards to being unable to get any hairs from the sides or back of my head ( although I do get one or two on occasion ) with all the hairs falling coming from the top. As long as the hairs you lose are growing back it shouldn't matter how many hairs you lose daily.

Poroforo

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
my girlfriend shed about 200-300 hairs every day and she has nw0 and full density :))

HeadGrass

My Regimen
Reaction score
Most people shed 50 - 100 hairs a day.
A bald person with only his side hair would definitely not be losing 50-100 hairs a day.
my girlfriend shed about 200-300 hairs every day and she has nw0 and full density :))
For how long has she been losing that much hair? I heard that birth control pills cause that. Either way, I pray you are right on this.

AnxiousAndy

My Regimen
Reaction score
A bald person with only his side hair would definitely not be losing 50-100 hairs a day.

For how long has she been losing that much hair? I heard that birth control pills cause that. Either way, I pray you are right on this.
I think the 50 - 100 hairs rule applies only to fullheads.

Cue Bald

Experienced Member
Reaction score
thing is before i was shedding / bald, i swear i would only lose about 20 hairs a day.
all night when i slept i'd wake up to at most 5 hairs shed. then throughout the day i could ruffle my hair as hard as i liked and hardly any hair ever shed.
when my male pattern baldness kicked in i was shedding bad. at least 20 hairs on the blanket, and every time i put my hands in my hair another hair came out. infact so many hairs came out, i could collect them and hold them like a lock had been cut out with scissors. literally i could be sat at work and hair would just fall.
so this 100 - 200 hairs lost a day, i think is actually a lot more than normal. unless it counts body hair, eyelash hair etc all in that 100 hairs.

now i'm on finasteride i am back to shedding only 20 at most a day. seeing all that hair shed all day was more depressing than any finasteride side effect could be.

HeadGrass

My Regimen
Reaction score
i could collect them and hold them like a lock had been cut out with scissors. literally i could be sat at work and hair would just fall.
so this 100 - 200 hairs lost a day, i think is actually a lot more than normal. unless it counts body hair, eyelash hair etc all in that 100 hairs.

now i'm on finasteride i am back to shedding only 20 at most a day. seeing all that hair shed all day was more depressing than any finasteride side effect could be.

I feel you, that is insanely depressing. Sitting and watching the hair fall out. There is nothing that can be done, it's beyond control. It's really like torture. I mean I don't know exactly how many hairs I lose a day, I don't even know if I am balding or not really, although isn't everyone balding to a certain extent? The hair that I do find on my hands is bad enough. I remember shaving all my hair off and feeling relieved for as long as I was shaved, however when I let it grow out every hair I find is detrimental. I think it's a cycle. The stress of losing hair causes more hair loss and so on and so on in a death spiral. I'd shave however I need the hair on my head to find a girl to marry. Hell I know girls like shaved guys more, however long hair gives me the confidence that I need and that I want to not only attract someone, but to do what I need to keep intrest.

I have done everything to have what I had before. I have read every spiritual, kabalist, and messianic text I could get my hands on and I have followed everything. I did absolutely everything and stopped doing anything that interfered. Yet it doesn't matter. I have an IQ of 119 so when I start delving into something I find what I want. All I can do now is wait and try to contain all the insanity. Hair loss isn't natural. I am certain of it. We went to space, yet we can't grow some dead skin on our heads? Absurd. I was never supposed to lose the hair I have. Nobody in my family has any hair loss whatsoever. It's a symptom of something and it goes beyond anything that's discussed on this site.

I think the 50 - 100 hairs rule applies only to fullheads.
Is there a source? Where is everyone getting this? From 0 to 20 I don't remember ever shedding one single hair.

Ollie

My Regimen
Reaction score
Typically 10% of the hair on your head is in the telogen phase - the 'resting' phase. Meaning that if you pull at 100 hairs, 10 of them on average over your head should be on their way out.

Some people shed like crazy, but the real underlying issue isn't really the shedding nearly as much as if those hairs that we shed are growing back thicker or thinner (or at all).

countjulian

My Regimen
Reaction score
thing is before i was shedding / bald, i swear i would only lose about 20 hairs a day.
all night when i slept i'd wake up to at most 5 hairs shed. then throughout the day i could ruffle my hair as hard as i liked and hardly any hair ever shed.
when my male pattern baldness kicked in i was shedding bad. at least 20 hairs on the blanket, and every time i put my hands in my hair another hair came out. infact so many hairs came out, i could collect them and hold them like a lock had been cut out with scissors. literally i could be sat at work and hair would just fall.

You're only seeing 20, if you're seeing 20 you're probably dropping 100, which is normal. Even bald guys who shave the donut everyday shed tons of body hair, some fall is just part of the anagen cycle.

lesslosslaos

My Regimen
Reaction score
the problem is that you can't be sure what's the reason behind hairfall: stress? normal thing? balding? bad diet? i'm experiencing this kind of thing...usually, whenever i see my hair anywhere but on the head, i think like "right, that's because i'm smoking/eating once a day/whatever" at the same time i've seen so many homeless men with such a perfect hair...

HeadGrass

My Regimen
Reaction score
at the same time i've seen so many homeless men with such a perfect hair...
I feel you. I even see completely crazy people that have no control over themselves have norwood 0 hairlines while they weredefecating and urinating under themselves.. It's ridiculas. It's just so confusing. I also know most people that smoke, drink uncontrollably, and eat only junkfood with a kid's hairline at 50-60. It's bizzare. People who do everything right yet still lose their hair. People who do everything that is deemed unhealthy yet have perfect hair. It would be great if there was more research being done on hair loss.

HeadGrass

My Regimen
Reaction score

Armando Jose

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thank for your input but I can explain your question. The hair at sides of the head have not problems with sebum, no sebum degeneration, because they are in contact several hours with an absorvent surface as the pillow.