10 Months on Propecia...

RangerDude

Reaction score
Hi guys I came to this forum to see if anyone went through this cycle before success or not. I am currently finishing up my 10th month of propecia 1mg and Nizoral 2% two times a week.
I have a full head but thinning the last 2 months fairly bad that it looks weak dry. (wet is depressing) Anyway, when i run my hands through my head to see how many hairs fall out, i notice the hairs that fall to be thin/whispy/ and lately really some tiny hairs. (always something falling out)
My question to you success Gents is, this a normal sign around the 10 month mark? Sort of going backwards the last 2 months. i used to be able to spike my hair and now its just weak and light. what to expect? Good thing im blonde for now ;)

TonyTheTiger

Established Member
Reaction score
RangerDude said:
Hi guys I came to this forum to see if anyone went through this cycle before success or not. I am currently finishing up my 10th month of propecia 1mg and Nizoral 2% two times a week.
I have a full head but thinning the last 2 months fairly bad that it looks weak dry. (wet is depressing) Anyway, when i run my hands through my head to see how many hairs fall out, i notice the hairs that fall to be thin/whispy/ and lately really some tiny hairs. (always something falling out)
My question to you success Gents is, this a normal sign around the 10 month mark? Sort of going backwards the last 2 months. i used to be able to spike my hair and now its just weak and light. what to expect? Good thing im blonde for now ;)

How was your hairloss prior to propecia? was it aggressive or mild?

if you had aggressive hairloss that seems normal.

RangerDude

Reaction score
Mild, wasnt aggressive at all (knock on wood), im 27 and jumped on Propecia 4 months after i noticed it getting worse.

what u guys think? doomed or process before stuff starts, or stops the falling out?

TonyTheTiger

Established Member
Reaction score
RangerDude said:
Mild, wasnt aggressive at all (knock on wood), im 27 and jumped on Propecia 4 months after i noticed it getting worse.

what u guys think? doomed or process before stuff starts, or stops the falling out?

Well everyone sheds once and a while you just gotta take comparison pics and notice if you are balding.

I have only been on proscar cut in 8ths for 1-2 months and I am still shedding a bit.

bobs

Established Member
Reaction score
You gotta keep on for 4-5 more months.
Relax now, this has happened to many (late sheds), and as you say, the hairs that are falling are thin and that is always good. Good luck.

RangerDude

Reaction score
Thanks Bobs, I will try and relax but it seems like it has gotten the worst it has been the last 2-3 months. Before that, it was bearable to say.

It seems whenever i run my hands through my hair, its garunteed to spit out 5 hairs. I will say, they are very weak hairs that look like they have been smoking crack. haha.

Is this a normal occurence for 10month mark? I took pics yesterday and plan on posting them to show the before. hoping the after is a pic that will stay on this board.

1mg Propecia/ nizoral

bobs

Established Member
Reaction score
RangerDude,

It is very difficult to say what is normal or not, why? Because everyone reacts differently depending on when they start propecia. Say you start it when you have a lot of miniaturization going on, if that is the case then you will probably and hopefully start to shed those hairs to regrow thicker ones underneath, in some cases this takes some cycles before they are back to their former glory so it might take one or two sheds before they start growing without the DHT chocking them.
Usually the first shed occurs after 3 months, the next after 6 and some people have one at 9/10 and some even continue to get them long afterwards and get results even two years afterwards (those results are not usually regrowth but thickening).

On the other hand, if you start later then some of those hairs might be beyond help from propecia and then you might not shed as much. It is not always regrowth that is the most significant effect of propecia but reversing the miniaturization if you ask me. Specially for diffuse thinners.

Anyway, take it easy and ride this out and don't think about it too much and I hope you will make it through.

RangerDude

Reaction score
First off, Bob thank you for your time. It amazes me how some people take the time on here to answer concerns of a total stranger. Thank you!

Anyway, regarding my "ordeal". Last few days have been quiet with the sheds (knock on wood), today is my 10th full month on propecia and hopefully things start looking up. I feel as if the last 3 months have been shedding! is that possible?

Reading stories on this forum (Deaner, Dougie) of how it got better at a year or even later is the only hope i have. this has seriously made me depressed.

bobs

Established Member
Reaction score
Douggie also had sheds up til month 10, he said months 10-12 were good.
Read his thread here;
viewtopic.php?f=30&t=15507

I have also read other sources stating that it takes a 10-16 months to get optimal results.

Read this thread I started too;

viewtopic.php?f=43&t=43605

You need to relax RangerDude and let the finasteride work, don't check your hair everyday if you can, try to forget about for a while if possible but remember that a lot of people report their best improvment around the one year mark so keep faith.

The reason I am here is to get help and also help as well as I can, this forum is very good for that.

RangerDude

Reaction score
Almost 12 Months on Propecia...pic inside

Hey guys, it’s been about a month and half since my last post and DO NOT have anything good to report.(my full year on Propecia is 2 weeks away). Seems like my hair has thinned out even more, especially places where it previously hasn’t. I can still get away with people not noticing but that time will run out soon.
It seems like the last 3 months have been horrible. I couldn’t complain before that because it was “maintainingâ€￾ with 0 regrowth. I am nuts because I keep going back into forums to re-read posts by Douggie and Deaner hoping that I will regrow like they have after crappy sheds. Anyone else in here have success after a year? Thanks and good luck guys!!!!!!!

p.s. pic i uncluded was taken end of FEB and looks better than now. but look right behind the front and u will notice the thinning (getting worse and sparse in front). panic panic panic

p.s.s the only reason im on the Success forum is i want to see if anyone successful went through crap to get to the promise land.

Attachments

• hano.JPG
    hano.JPG
    16 KB · Views: 20,220

symbolx

Established Member
Reaction score
yeah i think i can see where it's thinning. hard to tell from the pics though. overall looks like pretty decent hair.

RangerDude

Reaction score
This may sound weird and i am not 100% sold on it but i feel as if it is looking slightly better. hair grew in a bit but feels soft lately but not as dense as before when i comb it up. My year mark is now here and i wont make a final assessment until my next cut. I do want to add, at this length last month, i was feeling like crap and last post i felt it was at the all time worst where i saw thinning places etc. feeling a lil better. ...... will keep you posted.

RangerDude

Reaction score
So here is my 1 year review of my experience of Propecia and nizoral (2x weekly).

months 1-3 mainted, no diff
months 4-6 thinned a bit
months 7 looked pretty good (expected more but whatever)
months 8-9 were looking bland with constant shed, hairline started leaving
months 10-11 awful and showed more hairloss than ever
month 12 looked ok for a while but just got a haircute and see no improvement and hairline gets worse.

I pray to God it will get better or maintain like Propecia supposedly does. I will give it another 4 months before i throw the towel in. I hope some success stories have started out like mine but :shakehead:

symbolx

Established Member
Reaction score
Don't start getting all dramatic. It looks absolutely fine. You know I got it worse than you and no one really says anything, and I still get chicks fine. Dont' worry about it.

RangerDude

Reaction score
Thanks Symbolx, its now my 13th month and all i notice is my hair being alot thinner and softer but hasnt been getting worse to someone else.

Anyone see results after 13 - 14 months? sheds have been a bit better too

Reaction score
Honestly, I think our hair will always look worse to us. That's the power of pictures - take one, then don't fuss - then take another one at least a month later and compare. The mind's eye is a powerful thing. I mean, i remember when I was so excited that I had one or two vellus hairs coming in. Just last week I was extremely depressed because I was certain that my hair was getting worse - even though at closer look, I now have vellus hairs all over the temples. My girlfriend tells me that it is getting better, and I don't have a bald spot that I used to right behind the forelock. Who knows, it might just be because my hair is getting longer. I wish I could just forget about it.

But what I do know is that now I have the courage to look very closely at my hair, something I used to be terrified of.... so I'm going to keep going on ahead. Your hair looks fine from the pictures - maybe a little thin, but you still have coverage. Don't beat yourself up over it.

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
irishpride86 said:
wonderful another shitty story that sounds like mine ...
I second that. As I pointed out in the other thread, its around that 6 to 8 month mark alot of people complain about the excessive loss. There has to be something happening at the time that changes.

Axl_Rose

Established Member
Reaction score
DoctorHouse said:
I second that. As I pointed out in the other thread, its around that 6 to 8 month mark alot of people complain about the excessive loss. There has to be something happening at the time that changes.

Yeah what the hell is with that? I've heard of a lot of people that get to the 6-8 month mark on finasteride then the drug just decides "fuk you" and they start shedding insane amounts of hair, hairline getting worse etc...it's weird.

BodyDysmorphic

Reaction score
or maybe this guy is doing great
and hasn't had the need to post because he is doing well

"pessimism"
look on the brighter side man