1 yr on minoxidil & nizoral, 11 mths on finasteride (sorry, no pics)

kalbo

Established Member
Reaction score
I feel really bad that I didn't take pics b/c the Big 3 did wonders for my hair. I went from being a nw2.5 with frontal thinning to a nw1.5 with little to no frontal thinning.

I just saw my ex a few days ago and she was shocked when she saw my hair (she hadn't seen me in months). She said that there's a "drastic" improvement. Said my hairline and overall density improved a bunch. Btw, I told her about the meds when I just started using it.

This feels absolutely great. I used to buzz my head b/c the thinning was too noticeable, but now I have it grown out and it looks like I don't have male pattern baldness at all. I haven't styled my hair in years and now I can style it anyway I want without worrying if my thinning spots are showing.

The only complaint I have though is that my crown seems to have gotten worse. But having buzzed my hair for so long, I probably just didn't notice my crown being as thin as it is now. If it gets any thinner then I may have to start using minoxidil there (I use it only on my hairline/temples).

So just wanted to say that the Big 3 actually does work. Well, I can only say that it works for the short term though. Hopefully I can come back about 7 years from now and write about how I was able to maintain all this regrowth.

G

Good going, man. I wish I can do a success story of my own in the coming months.

Shmanky

Reaction score
I am interested in your age, kalbo. I am 28 and I suspect most guys on this board are younger than me. I wonder how much of a factor age plays. Sometimes I wish I had started treatment when I was 22, but sometimes I get the impression that a lot of the guys on this board started losing their hair younger than I did.

kalbo

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm 26 and I started losing my hair at the ripe young age of 16 :cry: . So you can imagine how that felt having to deal w/ hair loss in high school and thinking you'd be completely bald by the time you graduate from college. But the strange thing is that it hit me hard at 16/17 and then slowed down a lot after that. At 26 and only a nw1.5, I wish I could relive those early years when I thought I'd be bald before I hit 23.

Shmanky

Reaction score
kalbo said:
I'm 26 and I started losing my hair at the ripe young age of 16 :cry: . So you can imagine how that felt having to deal w/ hair loss in high school and thinking you'd be completely bald by the time you graduate from college. But the strange thing is that it hit me hard at 16/17 and then slowed down a lot after that. At 26 and only a nw1.5, I wish I could relive those early years when I thought I'd be bald before I hit 23.

sigh.. that sucks. I don't know why, but up until last year I thought balding was something only 40-year-olds had to deal with. I guess I didn't realize how gradual a process it is.

G

kalbo, how much of your regrowth would you estimate came from the finasteride and how much came from the minoxidil? i would wager that minoxidil accounts for 75% of it judging from what i've read on here but i'm sure that the finasteride has helped you maintain.

kalbo

Established Member
Reaction score
Shmanky said:
kalbo said:

sigh.. that sucks. I don't know why, but up until last year I thought balding was something only 40-year-olds had to deal with. I guess I didn't realize how gradual a process it is.

Some ppl here have lost their hair fast so it's not always a gradual process. I guess I'm somewhat fortunate seeing how my hair loss isn't as fast as I had initially expected.

kalbo

Established Member
Reaction score
JayMan said:
kalbo, how much of your regrowth would you estimate came from the finasteride and how much came from the minoxidil? i would wager that minoxidil accounts for 75% of it judging from what i've read on here but i'm sure that the finasteride has helped you maintain.

Well I was on minoxidil for over a month before I started finasteride and within that time I already had some pretty good regrowth. In about 2 months I'd say that I already achieved 70% of the regrowth I have now. So I guess that 75% you mentioned is accurate.... probably even more though.

kalbo

Established Member
Reaction score
haha I think it's about time I change my avatar. That's the second time someone confused me for the man in the pic. And no I'm not black... though as a balding man, I sometimes wish I were.

That's Michael Jordan in the pic if you were wondering. Not really a huge fan of his, but I do appreciate what he did for the balding community (popularizing the shaved head).

G

kalbo said:
haha I think it's about time I change my avatar. That's the second time someone confused me for the man in the pic. And no I'm not black... though as a balding man, I sometimes wish I were.

That's Michael Jordan in the pic if you were wondering. Not really a huge fan of his, but I do appreciate what he did for the balding community (popularizing the shaved head).

It's shocking that some folks don't recognize the most famous basketball player of all time! I mean, I'm not a basketball fan by any means but I do recognize the most famous players. Anyhoo, 70% of the regrowth within 2 months? Man you're a GREAT responder then.

Shmanky

Reaction score
Does that mean tembo is not really a chimp?

Shmanky

Reaction score
hair today gone tomorrow said:
Shmanky said:
Does that mean tembo is not really a chimp?

What exactly do you mean by that?

What I exactly mean is that tembo's avatar is a picture of a chimp so I'm facetiously asking whether tembo is a chimp based on the way he asked whether kalbo is Michael Jordan.

tembo

Established Member
Reaction score
I am a chimp -- at least getting as hairy as one -- and would take no offense at someone confusing me as such.

I always believed that animals (non-human) are morally and happiness wise superior to human beings.

Kalbo, I think in another 15 or so years, we will be able to genetically manipulate ourselves to look like anyone we wish to. I can't decide between a chimp or Tarzan.

RaginDemon

Reaction score
feel good for you brother.

may you become more hairy this year!

kalbo

Established Member
Reaction score
Man, i was anxious to see what kind of responses I got after seeing how many replies I received on this thread. But I come in and everyone is talking about chimps :lol:

RaginDemon

Reaction score
kalbo said:
Man, i was anxious to see what kind of responses I got after seeing how many replies I received on this thread. But I come in and everyone is talking about chimps :lol:

chimps or not, I gotta show some support to my T.O brotha lol