1 yr on minoxidil & nizoral, 11 mths on finasteride (sorry, no pics) | HairLossTalk Forums
Dismiss Notice
Forum Update: Aug 19. Feedback for the Admin? Upgrade coming: Click Here.

1 yr on minoxidil & nizoral, 11 mths on finasteride (sorry, no pics)

Discussion in 'Success Stories' started by kalbo, May 16, 2007.

1. kalbo

kalbo Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    I feel really bad that I didn't take pics b/c the Big 3 did wonders for my hair. I went from being a nw2.5 with frontal thinning to a nw1.5 with little to no frontal thinning.

I just saw my ex a few days ago and she was shocked when she saw my hair (she hadn't seen me in months). She said that there's a "drastic" improvement. Said my hairline and overall density improved a bunch. Btw, I told her about the meds when I just started using it.

This feels absolutely great. I used to buzz my head b/c the thinning was too noticeable, but now I have it grown out and it looks like I don't have male pattern baldness at all. I haven't styled my hair in years and now I can style it anyway I want without worrying if my thinning spots are showing.

The only complaint I have though is that my crown seems to have gotten worse. But having buzzed my hair for so long, I probably just didn't notice my crown being as thin as it is now. If it gets any thinner then I may have to start using minoxidil there (I use it only on my hairline/temples).

So just wanted to say that the Big 3 actually does work. Well, I can only say that it works for the short term though. Hopefully I can come back about 7 years from now and write about how I was able to maintain all this regrowth.

2. Guest

Guest Guest

Good going, man. I wish I can do a success story of my own in the coming months.

3. Shmanky

Shmanky New Member

Dislikes Received:
    I am interested in your age, kalbo. I am 28 and I suspect most guys on this board are younger than me. I wonder how much of a factor age plays. Sometimes I wish I had started treatment when I was 22, but sometimes I get the impression that a lot of the guys on this board started losing their hair younger than I did.

4. kalbo

kalbo Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    I'm 26 and I started losing my hair at the ripe young age of 16 :cry: . So you can imagine how that felt having to deal w/ hair loss in high school and thinking you'd be completely bald by the time you graduate from college. But the strange thing is that it hit me hard at 16/17 and then slowed down a lot after that. At 26 and only a nw1.5, I wish I could relive those early years when I thought I'd be bald before I hit 23.

5. Shmanky

Shmanky New Member

Dislikes Received:
    sigh.. that sucks. I don't know why, but up until last year I thought balding was something only 40-year-olds had to deal with. I guess I didn't realize how gradual a process it is.

6. Guest

Guest Guest

kalbo, how much of your regrowth would you estimate came from the finasteride and how much came from the minoxidil? i would wager that minoxidil accounts for 75% of it judging from what i've read on here but i'm sure that the finasteride has helped you maintain.

7. kalbo

kalbo Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Some ppl here have lost their hair fast so it's not always a gradual process. I guess I'm somewhat fortunate seeing how my hair loss isn't as fast as I had initially expected.

8. kalbo

kalbo Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Well I was on minoxidil for over a month before I started finasteride and within that time I already had some pretty good regrowth. In about 2 months I'd say that I already achieved 70% of the regrowth I have now. So I guess that 75% you mentioned is accurate.... probably even more though.

9. tembo

tembo Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    As a black man, I bet you look good bald kalbo.

10. kalbo

kalbo Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    haha I think it's about time I change my avatar. That's the second time someone confused me for the man in the pic. And no I'm not black... though as a balding man, I sometimes wish I were.

That's Michael Jordan in the pic if you were wondering. Not really a huge fan of his, but I do appreciate what he did for the balding community (popularizing the shaved head).

11. Guest

Guest Guest

It's shocking that some folks don't recognize the most famous basketball player of all time! I mean, I'm not a basketball fan by any means but I do recognize the most famous players. Anyhoo, 70% of the regrowth within 2 months? Man you're a GREAT responder then.

12. Shmanky

Shmanky New Member

Dislikes Received:
    Does that mean tembo is not really a chimp?

13. Guest

Guest Guest

im not really a stormtrooper either

14. hair today gone tomorrow

hair today gone tomorrow Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    What exactly do you mean by that?

15. Shmanky

Shmanky New Member

Dislikes Received:
    What I exactly mean is that tembo's avatar is a picture of a chimp so I'm facetiously asking whether tembo is a chimp based on the way he asked whether kalbo is Michael Jordan.

16. hair today gone tomorrow

hair today gone tomorrow Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    o ok

17. tembo

tembo Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    I am a chimp -- at least getting as hairy as one -- and would take no offense at someone confusing me as such.

I always believed that animals (non-human) are morally and happiness wise superior to human beings.

Kalbo, I think in another 15 or so years, we will be able to genetically manipulate ourselves to look like anyone we wish to. I can't decide between a chimp or Tarzan.

18. RaginDemon

RaginDemon Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    feel good for you brother.

may you become more hairy this year!

19. kalbo

kalbo Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Man, i was anxious to see what kind of responses I got after seeing how many replies I received on this thread. But I come in and everyone is talking about chimps :lol:

20. RaginDemon

RaginDemon Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    chimps or not, I gotta show some support to my T.O brotha lol