1 Year On Fina - Do I Have Any Hope?

TheZyzz

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
How bad you think my loss is?
Do you think that my temples are gone for good and thinning deeper and deeper?
20191030_222400.jpg
20191030_222346.jpg
20191030_222144.jpg
20191030_222316.jpg
20191030_222302.jpg
20191030_222202.jpg
20191029_002718.jpg
20191029_002704.jpg
20191029_002310.jpg
20191029_002254.jpg

I'm on fina 1 year and 2 months
And stopped minoxidill because I'm lazy few months ago (3,) after a year.

I'm 23 and started losing hair 2.5-3 years ago

Before pictures since the beginning
(1.5 years ago)

https://www.hairlosstalk.com/intera...nths-started-to-lose-hair-2-years-ago.112263/

https://www.hairlosstalk.com/interact/threads/re-grow-the-temples-is-it-possible.113087/

https://www.hairlosstalk.com/intera...g-if-its-already-too-late-for-me-pics.113647/

https://www.hairlosstalk.com/intera...m-progress-pics-should-i-move-to-fina.116556/

And then I started taking Fina.. no pictures until 5 months ago.
This is 5 months ago
https://www.hairlosstalk.com/interact/threads/rate-my-8-months-process-is-there-any-hope.122519/

Last edited:

-G-

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
It looks fine to me, but but I am curious, have you had any side effects and what is the amount you are using?

TheZyzz

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
It looks fine to me, but but I am curious, have you had any side effects and what is the amount you are using?

Dude it look fine to you? You can see my scalp lol and all my temples are visible..

I'm using 1mg per day. Side effects - no morning boner anymore (srs), harder to keep fully erected for more than 10 minutes.

Last edited:

Inigo1202

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
We need photos of last year to see the changes.

Overall it looks like you have difuse thinning. Finas is supposed to work really good on this kind of Androgenetic Alopecia, but I don't know if you are responding well. I can't compare.

Minoxidil...you probably shouldn't have dropped it. Once you start it, you should be on it for as long as you can. If two times per day is too much for you, use it just once, before sleep. It's 80% as effective. Trust me.

Add vitamins and supplements (specially biotin), good shampoo (keto 2/3 times per week; normal one the rest of the days, neutral ph).

Mesotherapies are the best solution overall (except of course the hair transplant) They are quite expensive (200 euros per sessions here in Spain) but they work absolutely fine. And you don't need more than 5-6 sessions per year)

TheZyzz

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
We need photos of last year to see the changes.

Overall it looks like you have difuse thinning. Finas is supposed to work really good on this kind of Androgenetic Alopecia, but I don't know if you are responding well. I can't compare.

Minoxidil...you probably shouldn't have dropped it. Once you start it, you should be on it for as long as you can. If two times per day is too much for you, use it just once, before sleep. It's 80% as effective. Trust me.

Add vitamins and supplements (specially biotin), good shampoo (keto 2/3 times per week; normal one the rest of the days, neutral ph).

Mesotherapies are the best solution overall (except of course the hair transplant) They are quite expensive (200 euros per sessions here in Spain) but they work absolutely fine. And you don't need more than 5-6 sessions per year)

Hey thanks for the answer. I'll attach some links to other threads that I opened so you'll be able to compare.
I also added more pictures of my hair when it dry.

whatintheworld

Reaction score
I was also lazy to use minoxidil...then I realized I'd rather have hair on my head. Finasteride, unfortunately, rarely gives regrowth.

Inigo1202

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey thanks for the answer. I'll attach some links to other threads that I opened so you'll be able to compare.
I also added more pictures of my hair when it dry.

You could add them here buddy, it will be easier for all of us to check them out and tell you our opinion.

And you're welcome :)

I was also lazy to use minoxidil...then I realized I'd rather have hair on my head. Finasteride, unfortunately, rarely gives regrowth.

That's not true. Finasteride regrowths hair in 2 out of 3 men (65%). It's been proven for years now. There are thousands of photos just on this forum.

The key is timing. If you get on Finas when miniaturization is happening, you'll regrowth a lot. If not, you'll just mantain what you have. Just 10% of men don't get any benefit from Finas (and IMO they do but it's almost pointless at that stage)

Though I agree with you on Minoxidil, combined with Finas it works really well. Problem is, your hair becomes addicted to it.

Who Farted

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
At this point they’re gone for good. Pretty sure based on what you’ve posted elsewhere that you already know this to be true.

You need a different hairstyle; when you’re self conscious about something you shouldn’t deliberately draw attention to it.

whatintheworld

Reaction score
You could add them here buddy, it will be easier for all of us to check them out and tell you our opinion.

And you're welcome :)

That's not true. Finasteride regrowths hair in 2 out of 3 men (65%). It's been proven for years now. There are thousands of photos just on this forum.

The key is timing. If you get on Finas when miniaturization is happening, you'll regrowth a lot. If not, you'll just mantain what you have. Just 10% of men don't get any benefit from Finas (and IMO they do but it's almost pointless at that stage)

Though I agree with you on Minoxidil, combined with Finas it works really well. Problem is, your hair becomes addicted to it.

It may regrow some hair but it is rare to be cosmetically significant. Maintaining however is possible, I never said it wasn't.

Regrowth without minoxidil is rare to happen.

whatintheworld

Reaction score
I think you are right though (very hard to experience any sort of regrowth without minoxidil) -- my hairline + temples = FUBAR

I'm never touching minoxidil again though :(

I don't even know if minoxidil works on the hairline. I've been putting it on mine and I haven't seen any regrowth, but I think the hairline is particularly sensitive to androgens so it may not be enough. However, I know how catastrophic stopping minoxidil is so I can't stop.

Then again, who knows if it's at least helping maintain.

Lurker85

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Honestly, yours looked like mine at 26 and by 28 it was in terrible shape. You need more than just finasteride.

JonnyGo

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
If you maintain that with finasteride then I’d say you’re good. You can’t even tell you’re balding when the hair is dry

OnThePill

My Regimen
Reaction score
It may regrow some hair but it is rare to be cosmetically significant. Maintaining however is possible, I never said it wasn't.

Regrowth without minoxidil is rare to happen.

I have seen many people grow back hair with 1mg of oral finasteride daily, I heard about women too. The people that don't grow back a lot of hair are the ones that are very sensitive to T and DHT (or are very old). The kind of people who are going bald in their teens and don't know it. The guys with very little hair left in their early twenties. For those kinds of people dutasteride seems to be the only choice, but don't hold your breath.

I think Justin Bieber was on finasteride or dutasteride in his teen years. A lot of men used to call him a lesbian because of the results it gave him. His father went bald in his early twenties. So I guess it was a preventative. It looks like he got off of it when he was dating, he probably had side effects that stunted his maturity.

Abi28

My Regimen
Reaction score
Finasteride helped me a bit with hairloss, made my hair thicker and stopped the shedding a bit but there was zero regrowth, I had to stop a few months ago from the sides, I haven't recovered yet, I might need to see a doctor, I hate that this is the drug that we have to deal with in 2019, can someone make a f*****g cure already?

OnThePill

My Regimen
Reaction score
Finasteride helped me a bit with hairloss, made my hair thicker and stopped the shedding a bit but there was zero regrowth, I had to stop a few months ago from the sides, I haven't recovered yet, I might need to see a doctor, I hate that this is the drug that we have to deal with in 2019, can someone make a f*****g cure already?

How long were you on finasteride?

From what I remember, it takes about 3-5 months for the drug to leave your system, then your body needs time to switch back to your original hormonal profile. There really isn't many people that have permanent negative side effects. Your body simply needs time to revert back just like it needed time to change with finasteride/dutasteride.

For those drugs to work you need a minimum of 4 weeks of constant use for them to kick in. From that point you should see slow progression of your hair. Taking pictures and a very short hair cut will help you evaluate the changes more objectively. Usually thickening occurs first because the dormant follicles have to recover and attempt to regrow hair. The process will take months because that's how long hair phases take to transition through the cycle. You can't expect to sprout hair as if finasteride/dutasteride is like watering grass. You are simply freeing up your follicles from the DHT oppression, which gives it the opportunity to reactivate under the best conditions.

So hairline regrowth to the level of your teen years, or even very early twenties, is very unrealistic because boys lose their original feminine hairline once their testicles start to produce testosterone and it converts to DHT. Some people won't have a child's hairline and some lucky people get to keep something very close to it. It's a genetic outcome predetermined by your parents. Even females lose their original hairline at some point. Have a look at Asian women especially Vietnamese. I also noticed older Korean women lose density with defuse loss. I think Japanese are very good at staying healthy and retaining their hair much longer than other people.

There will never be a cure for genetic hair loss for existing humans.

Humans are programmed through our DNA to display our age and health in various ways. I believe one of those ways is hair loss and loss in pigmentation of the hair. Imagine not having a calendar to determine a person's age. How will you go about making an educated guess that comes close? Are teenagers bald or have grey hair? Do 20-30 year olds have grey hair?

Because of our modern societies hair loss is less accepted. It's not like grown women refuse men without hair. It's just not considered ideal when there are options to slow down the genetic display of our aging/maturing. For men we focus on our hair. Women focus on so many other things. Imagine how a woman feels when she gets older and starts defuse thinning.

In the future, we may have a way to grow hair follicles to implant in our scalps without having to relocate existing hairs. Then every guy will get a hair transplant to get the exact hair they wished they had before they went bald. It will kind of be like getting braces but won't be covered the same way. It will be treated like breast implants, it will become normalized like they have.

Abi28

My Regimen
Reaction score
I have been on finasteride for about 14 months, I only stopped 2 months ago so I guess you are right I might need more time to recover, but it is scary to see side effects even after stopping the drug, hopefully everything reverts back to itself after some time.

I agree I just hope they can find something that would help with hair loss in the future, maybe hair cloning or something.