1 Year Mark. My Thoughts, Advice, Question On Making A Change

Mbow10

My Regimen
Reaction score
Realized I'm coming up on 1 year of wearing and I'd use this thread to give my thoughts for anyone still on the fence, what its been like, and answer any questions if I could, tho limited my knowledge still is on these. 1 year ago the last week of August is when I did it. I've been lucky enough to find a place near me, tho 90 minute drive away, but the guy has been in business for years and years and had a great rep. He has clients that even come in from several states away, and I remember him telling me one guy wanted to invest if he would open up a shop in Florida. Anyway, thats my background, I feel extremely lucky to have been able to find a place close and they've been amazing at helping me care less and less each time I go that I am wearing. They really work at making you comfortable. I don't regret it at all.

I go once every 3-4 weeks for cut and maintence. I just wanted my crown covered and have been able to get two systems out of one order. I did think by now I would learn more than I have and start taking over myself, but I just got in the groove of letting them take care of it. Not until recently did I even remove it myself at home to clean. I just was too afraid to do it.

I'll make a few following posts with my progress for anyone that cares to see the pics and read. I regret I kind of disappeared after I got such great advice here and didnt really offer any follow ups or help. So I want to try now. You'll see in my last set of pics what I'm talking about when I say I need to make a change.

Here is this time last year, before and after...

Attachments

• Before2.jpg
    Before2.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 555
  • Before3.jpg
    Before3.jpg
    272.2 KB · Views: 476
  • thumbnail_20170830_194011.jpg
    thumbnail_20170830_194011.jpg
    136.7 KB · Views: 544
  • thumbnail_20170830_233038.jpg
    thumbnail_20170830_233038.jpg
    141 KB · Views: 539

CrownBalding

My Regimen
Reaction score
Wow I’m excited because anyone I’ve spoken to here knows that I’ve been considering a partial crown piece. I haven’t actually found anyone that wears one so I definitely have a few questions!

- I was thinking about getting just a crown piece, but I’m thinning everywhere else as well. Do you think the contrast of thinning hair in other places make the crown piece more noticeable? (Pics included)

- How undetectable do you believe just the crown piece is as opposed to having a full piece. (Visually and to the touch).

- What about sweating and being active? Are you limited at all?

- Do you believe slight lifting is not as noticeable as it would be with a full system?

- Do you think anyone’s noticed or is it easy to keep it under the radar? I’m under the impression that you shaved some of the hair off.

- How difficult is it to match with the rest of your hair? Density/color

Attachments

• D4E4394E-6486-4317-8FA5-7202EA3144B3.jpeg
    D4E4394E-6486-4317-8FA5-7202EA3144B3.jpeg
    68.6 KB · Views: 345
  • 85C8C1C0-7194-4754-8C50-F67A183E5C04.jpeg
    85C8C1C0-7194-4754-8C50-F67A183E5C04.jpeg
    74.3 KB · Views: 358
  • 1A6D8D68-B70A-4A12-9497-B6703C65AD08.jpeg
    1A6D8D68-B70A-4A12-9497-B6703C65AD08.jpeg
    53.6 KB · Views: 349
Last edited:

Mbow10

My Regimen
Reaction score
When I did this, my hair wasn't the healthiest and I was in terrible shape. My diet was awful and it really affected my hair. I thought by now I'd get my act together and my hair would look healthier but I dont think it really has. My front is thinning more and more and my sides don't seem to cooperate like they used to. I don't know how to describe it really. My sides are in really poor shape. I tried to have it faded down or cut short, but it just looks not great like it used to. I'm working on my diet and really keeping my skin and hair healthier.

The pic with my hair wet is right out of the shower tonight. You can see just how badly my front is gone. When it's try, its way less noticable of course, but I really hate this. Keep in mind this system I'm wearing is on its last leg and will be getting replaced in 2 days. I just wanted to show what it still covers.

Ive been letting the same girl that works there do my systems all year, but she's out of town so I will be seeing the owner during my next appointment and I'm just not sure how to start describing what I want or how I should go from here. I really don't think i'm ready to shave off more hair that I still have, but I really hate my hair line. Also, with just the crown piece, it kept the cost down basically getting 2 systems out of 1.

The blocked out picture is from 2 years ago this week. I was at the beach and I remember being more depressed than ever about my hair. I had been using Topik on the crown for years and it worked great, but I was running out of time. I look at that and could not believe I was as upset about my hair as I was, I'd do anything to get it like that again. Do I just show my guy a pic and be like "what do I need to get back to this?" I just don't know how to bring it up. And as happy as I am with it, its just been covering my hair loss. I havent really been able to ever style my hair like I used to, and I see how it transforms many guys and how much they love it. I feel like I just got my crown covered and I'm still dealing with thinning and hair loss. When if I'm making this effort and paying this money, I shouldn't have this worry.

Attachments

• Front16.png
    Front16.png
    340.6 KB · Views: 423
  • New1year.jpg
    New1year.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 402

Mbow10

My Regimen
Reaction score
Wow I’m excited because anyone I’ve spoken to here knows that I’ve been considering a partial crown piece. I haven’t actually found anyone that wears one so I definitely have a few questions!

- I was thinking about getting just a crown piece, but I’m thinning everywhere else as well. Do you think the contrast of thinning hair in other places make the crown piece more noticeable? (Pics included)

- How undetectable do you believe just the crown piece is as opposed to having a full piece. (Visually and to the touch).

- What about sweating and being active? Are you limited at all?

- Do you believe slight lifting is not as noticeable as it would be with a full system?

- Do you think anyone’s noticed or is it easy to keep it under the radar? I’m under the impression that you shaved some of the hair off.

- How difficult is it to match with the rest of your hair? Density/color

First go around I think the guy cut my system too short. Eventually I asked to leave it longer and was able to blend the crown system into my hair up front and it added volume. Adding volume to the crown makes a difference when someone looking at you face to face as well.

-I've been fine being active. As everyone says here, no real issues,
- The paranoia hasn't completely gone away but its less and less. I can't speak to if anyone has noticed. The only remark I ever got was a few months ago at a cook out a friend who's pretty much bald was saying he was jealous of me for still having "a full beard, full head of hair..."

-They had no issue matching the color. The guy I go to is really good and nails it. It's amazing actually. That's why I still don't mind paying for the salon treatment. I eventually want to cut it down so I can stretch out the life of the system, but having them do everything is great for piece of mind.

Mbow10

My Regimen
Reaction score
With that being said though, don’t you believe it’s less detectable than a full piece?

Even with the rest of your hair thinning does the density match well enough that it looks natural in person?

If you can answer any of my prior questions that’d be great. I’ve been waiting for someone with just a crown piece and it was difficult finding anything about them on google so this is a great opportunity for me to learn before I put one on.

When I first went to a consultation, I showed him what I needed to be covered and he just said "Aw yeah, thats easy." Crowns are simple if you go to someone who knows their stuff.

Mbow10

My Regimen
Reaction score
Honestly, now that I look at your pics, I will say I think you've got a good bit of time before needing one. I was happy that I didn't wait longer than when concealers started not working, to make the transition less noticeable, but I really think you've got a lot of time.

CrownBalding

My Regimen
Reaction score
I’ve already been to a salon and got a template made. Almost made the order at NWL but backed out last minute because everyone’s said the same thing as you (I should wait) including the salon lol. It’s just my hair loss has happened extremely quickly. I’m only 22 and I had no signs of loss only 6 months ago. So I guess I am in panic mode.

Concealers seem to not be working as well as I’d like them so this is definitely an option I’m looking into before the transition would be noticeable.

Are you single? Would it be noticed if someone ran their fingers through your hair?

As a 22 year old single guy this is a major concern of mine

Noah

Reaction score
Yeah, good job Mbow; I'm glad it has made a positive difference. It's great to see you back, being a resource to others thinking about this route.

Noah

deg_dilemma

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
@Mbow10 your partial looks AMAZING. I was thinking about a partial initially but then my front half thinning out way quick over the past year.

@CrownBalding I think I also saw you on the Norwood forum. One thing I would say is that don't leave it too late, i.e. it will look really obvious if you go from thinning hair all over, to a nice looking system. I say this because I left it too late, I umm'd and ah'd a year longer than I should have. I'm so happy I have a system now, because concealers because a real pain to use and , frankly, looked rubbish, because I had got to the point of no return.

Sometimes it's better to bite the bullet a little early, so that no one else really notices the transition.

matt0135

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
@Mbow10 your partial looks AMAZING. I was thinking about a partial initially but then my front half thinning out way quick over the past year.

@CrownBalding I think I also saw you on the Norwood forum. One thing I would say is that don't leave it too late, i.e. it will look really obvious if you go from thinning hair all over, to a nice looking system. I say this because I left it too late, I umm'd and ah'd a year longer than I should have. I'm so happy I have a system now, because concealers because a real pain to use and , frankly, looked rubbish, because I had got to the point of no return.

Sometimes it's better to bite the bullet a little early, so that no one else really notices the transition.
Agreed .better 3 hours early than a minute too late .