1 Month On Finasteride, Photos- I Need Your Advice.

Questions

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
TLDR: Started finasteride 1 month ago, still have some shedding, will it get worse before it improves? I also have bad seborrheic dermatitis with itching, redness, scabs, and oily dandruff (buildup). How do these photos look?

https://imgur.com/a/xxV9e

(I’m 18 by the way)

I started finasteride almost one month ago, and I haven’t gotten major side effects. Oddly enough, I remember an old post about sudden pain in the testicle(s), and I recently had that twice. Otherwise there’s nothing I really notice. I had really bad shedding (40+ hairs in the shower) before I started, and when I started on finasteride I had already started usig a topical steroid to help with my seborrheic dermatits (itching and redness and scabs too). I’m also using rogaine on my temples and a little bit on the rest of my hairline, but that looks about the same as before, even a year/two years ago, comparing it to old photos I took of it. However, my crown looks HORRIBLE. It’s a spot where I have really bad build-up/flaking and itching. I’m seeing the dermatologist on Tuesday to see what’s going on with that.

Anyway, is it likely that finasteride is causing this shed before it improves? It wasn’t even bad before. Now you can see through it and it makes me want to die thinking about how much worse it could (will) get if finasteride doesn’t help.

AnxiousAndy

My Regimen
Reaction score
Why the hell are you on finasteride AND minoxidil?? You have no visible hair loss at all and still a Norwood 1. Using these treatments so soon is a bad idea, you are going to end up bald in 5 years when treatments stop working (if they even did work) and you will have nothing to fall back on. I think you have made a big mistake.

Questions

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Why the hell are you on finasteride AND minoxidil?? You have no visible hair loss at all and still a Norwood 1. Using these treatments so soon is a bad idea, you are going to end up bald in 5 years when treatments stop working (if they even did work) and you will have nothing to fall back on. I think you have made a big mistake.

My dermatologist said it would be fine if I started finasteride now. My dad started balding in his twenties and I’m scared of that. I’ve been paranoid that I’m losing hair for a year or two now, and I instantly made an appointment when I was having at least 20 hairs come out on my hands when I shampoo and more in the tub. If (when) the finasteride loses its effectiveness, I plan on switching to dutasteride. I’m also saving money in a backup account just in case I need to get a hair transplant in the future. My grandfather was COMPLETELY bald by his thirties, and I want to avoid that.