zxczxc's Story

zxczxc

Reaction score
Well, I've done it. After being in denial for over a year, I've finally decided to do something about my hair loss. I first noticed myself balding about four months before my 17th birthday. I'll be turning 18 next month.

For the last year, I've been trying to convince myself that I'm not balding. About three months ago, I bought Xandrox 5%. Before I had a chance to open the package, I talked myself into thinking that I was not losing my hair. Four days ago, I made a spontaneous decision to start using it.

My hair loss was, up to this point, not noticeable unless I lifted up my bangs, at which point it was obvious that my hairline was receding. Everybody in my family started losing hair around this age, and by age 20, there is little left. I decided that putting it off until that point was, well, pointless. I decided that the sooner I do something about my hair loss, the better my chance was of keeping a full head of hair.

Within the past few days, I've noticed my hair loss accelerating. I'm assuming that this is normal shedding associated with the use of minoxidil. It's close to the point of being noticeable, but I'm going to stick with it. If I don't, it will be noticeable in a year or two anyway. At the very least, I'll be able to prevent my male pattern baldness from progressing until better treatments are available; although I'm hoping on regrowing the hair that I have lost in the past year. I'll keep this thread updated.

And that’s my story.

I will be visiting this forum more often from now on. I’ll try to help when I can, and I’ll try not to be too much of a nuisance. This community has been a huge help over the past several days, and I would like to thank everybody for that.

If you ever need somebody to talk to, feel free to PM me. I'll listen, and help when I can. Being only 18, I haven't experienced much of life, but sometimes all that you need is somebody to talk to.

Thanks again.

Justlooking

Established Member
Reaction score
welcome aboard, i was in a similar situation to yours about 5 years ago. See a derm. and get on propecia ASAP.

Again, welcome

hellohello

Established Member
Reaction score
Mate, you seem like a really intelligent, responsbile and mature 18 year old.

Best of luck with the minoxidil, can I suggest you stick to your regime at all stages, and take some private photos of the areas you want to improve so you have something to look back on.

Nice to hear you do something about it - maybe go and see your doctor and see if they think you could try Propecia. It may suit your style of hairloss better, and then if it gets worse in a few years you can fall back on the minoxidil.

Cheers.

YoungAndThin

Established Member
Reaction score
good for you man. getting out of denial is defineately the first step. most people just don't want to admit they're losing hair at such a young age.

You may also want to add propecia in the future.

zxczxc

Reaction score
Thanks to all for the feedback and advice.

There are a few things that are holding me back from seeing my doctor about Propecia. Namely, it's expensive. I'm a full-time student with a part-time job. Car insurance and college savings pretty much drain all of my funds. I'm also worried about side effects. I haven't done much research on Propecia, but I'll definitely look into it.

Thanks again.

Weepy

Established Member
Reaction score
Excellent first post. I'm looking forward to hearing more from you in the future.