Zoloft & Hair Loss - Does It Ever Grow Back?

G

I was on Zoloft for approximately 10 years - on and off. During the course of my treatment, my hair came out in large amounts while in the shower. Now that I'm finally off of the drug, my hair no longer comes out in large amounts, but I am worried that the hair loss that did occur may be permanent. I called Pfizer, and they told me they have not done any research regarding temporary hair loss and/or permanent hair loss due to using their product. Has anyone ever recocovered lost hair after ceaseing treatment of Zoloft? Thank you.

tiffsie420

Reaction score
zoloft and hair loss

I only took Zoloft for 3 months and I noticed in the shower that I would have to clean my drain every time and then I went to get my hair cut they noticed a bald spot on my head. Over a period of a few months I developed more and more bald spots and all over thinning. I finally went to the doctor and they offered me injections in my head but I decided to hold off and see if it would stop on its own. It continued to worsen and then I started losing eyebrows and eye lashes. So I went back to the doctor and they said I had lost to much to do injections so they put me on an oral steriod. (Prednisone I believe). After a month of being on the steriod I noticed little sprouts of hair and my eyebrows and eyelashes were growing back. Now it is growing back everywhere except for one little spot right above my ear. Hang in there. There is hope and I back up the steroids 100% in this situation. I just hope yours doesnt get as bad as mine did before I decided to take this approach. I lost the whole underneath of my hair. It is a bad situation. You go on Zoloft to help with depression/anxiety and you end up way more depressed than you even started when you lose your hair. But hang in there and it will come back. If you have any more questions feel free to email me at tiffsie420@yahoo.com.
Thanks,
Tiffany

sunrabbit

Reaction score
Scalpy, you say have been on and off Zoloft for ten years. When during this time did your hair loss occur? I have been on Zoloft for twelve years--mostly on, although I did attempt to go off a couple of times, with disastrous results. I have always had hair on the thin side, but only recently (the last two years) have I had major shedding to the point where my scalp is starting to show through. I am wondering, could this sudden shedding be a delayed reaction to the Zoloft? Or is that ridiculous?

Shma

Established Member
Reaction score
sunrabbit said:
Scalpy, you say have been on and off Zoloft for ten years. When during this time did your hair loss occur? I have been on Zoloft for twelve years--mostly on, although I did attempt to go off a couple of times, with disastrous results. I have always had hair on the thin side, but only recently (the last two years) have I had major shedding to the point where my scalp is starting to show through. I am wondering, could this sudden shedding be a delayed reaction to the Zoloft? Or is that ridiculous?
He won't be able to reply cause his accoung got banned/deleted.

JenTX

Reaction score
I was only on zoloft for 6 weeks when I noticed a major increase in hair loss. I even started to lose my eyebrows and eyelashes. After several blood tests (testing my thyroid, iron, and hormone levels), I determined that it was caused by the zoloft and immediately stopped taking it. The doctors I went to just told me to use rogaine. I tried rogaine for a month and a half and the hair loss never slowed down.

After 3 doctors and 4 months, a dermatologist prescribed me Kenalog spray (it's a topical cortisol steroid), Ciclopirox shampoo (increases the health of your scalp), and gave me a cortisol steroid shot in my butt.