Zit Wash?

Matgallis

Experienced Member
Reaction score
very interesting stuff

The Gardener

Reaction score
x5o, I think it is possible that both of us may be right with our facts, they don't necessarily contradict each other. My girlfriend printed out your posting and asked her boss (the dermo Doctor) about this today, and she is over my shoulder while I type replies.

x5o said:
Just to shed some *light* on all of this paranoia about the sun. Four and a half billion years of ongoing research have proven one thing conclusively............we would all be dead without sunlight - the source of all life on our planet.

Just because the earth's ecosytem needs sunlight, which of course is a given, this does NOT mean that it is good for a human to intentionally expose himself to its rays. We are not plants, have no chlorophyll.

x5o said:
FACT - Overall cancer rates are higher in sun-deprived areas of the world and decline significantly as one gets closer to the equater.

True. But this has more to do with the fact that people native to non-equatorial regions tend to have fairer skin which is more easily suceptable to skin cancer, and people who are native to equatorial regions tend to have darker skin. People who have naturally darker skin are less suceptable to skin cancer due to the reflective properties of the melanin in their skin. Thus, from the fact you state, the proper conclusion to draw is NOT that since darker skinned people tend to resist skin cancer more, it would be good for a fairer skinned person to expose himself to the sun in order to make his skin darker.

x5o said:
New research indicates that it may be riskier for most people to avoid sunlight than to tan moderately.

No disagreement that it isn't good to keep onesself in a cave. Sunlight sets our internal biological clocks, stimulates the creation of certain nutrients in the body, and has been shown to play positive role in mental health. However, when you directly expose yourself to sunlight you are also directly exposing yourself to radiation that has been DEFINITELY been proven to damage the genetic material of your skin, i.e. cancer.

The sun emits energy in a large spectrum of radiation. Visible light is only a small portion of this spectrum, and many elements of the radiation spectrum the sun emits may have positive effects but there are other elements of the spectrum of energy that the sun emits that are just plain malicious to human skin and the skin needs protection from them.

Sunscreen allows most all of the sun's radiation spectrum (light, heat, etc) to reach the human skin, but just keeps out a certain spectrum of radiation that has been proven to cause cancer.

x5o said:
And if you are going to use sunscreen, you should be aware of this - research has shown that PABA which is found in many popular sunscreens reacts with UV light and can create cancerous compounds. There are sunscreens that do not contain PABA that would probably be a wiser choice. The ones without PABA reflect the UV rays similar to the way that zinc oxide does.

True. Scientists have been taking a second look at PABA. However, this should not discourage one against avoiding UV exposure and using sunscreen.

One thing the Doctor said is that this advice should not be taken to the point of paranoia. Being outside is good. Going to the beach is a great thing. You don't have to wrap yourself up like a mummy and always stay completely covered, he says this talk is far too extreme of a position to take. But, he says that you should always put sunscreen on your face, period. He says that your face is the one part of your body that, no matter the weather, is exposed not only to the sun, but the elements, ALL of your life... and as such is really deserving of some special treatment. Skin is designed to protect the inner human body from external threats... not only radiation but it keeps body heat and water in, and keeps external toxins and dirt and parasites out. It is a human organ, and of all your skin's surfaces the skin of the face and hands work the hardest. All the other skin surfaces have human-made protection, pants for your legs, shoes for your feet, shirt for your chest, hair on your scalp... but your face has NOTHING for 99.9% of your life. It suffers the brunt of everything, and, it is the one piece of skin that people are most self-conscious about in our youth and beauty-obsessed culture. The least you can do is put on a little sunscreen to show your appreciation for it.

x5o

Established Member
Reaction score
Hmmm..............seems we do agree on some points. I'd like to address your post in more detail, but would have to do some research first. I like the sun but am not a sun guru, ready with facts. I can say off the top of my head that sunlight does affect a myriad of human body functions. Further, some of the most deadly cancers, accounting for the majority of cancer deaths have nothing at all to do with exposure to the sun, in fact, I believe it has been shown that the incidence of these types of cancers are higher in sun deprived areas of the world.
Fact is, one is much more likely to die of some other disease with or with out sunscreen. I think the number of deaths each year attributable to skin cancer greatly pales in comparison with other cancers and disease. The air you breath inside or outside your home is probably more carcinogenic than time spent in the sun. Toxins abound. Remember, we are all terminal. Each day just brings us one day closer to death. <Hope I wasn't too morbid there. I'm in a low mood today.

x5o

Established Member
Reaction score
By the way, the red wine in your regimen...................I know red wine in moderation has been said to have positive effects. My question is have there been studies or anecdotal evidence that it does anything for hair? I'm ready to get a jug if your reply is in the affirmative. (I might get it anyway, I could use it for a number of reasons.)

G

x5o said:
By the way, the red wine in your regimen...................I know red wine in moderation has been said to have positive effects. My question is have there been studies or anecdotal evidence that it does anything for hair? I'm ready to get a jug if your reply is in the affirmative. (I might get it anyway, I could use it for a number of reasons.)

Red wine eases the pain of male pattern baldness. I never even look at my hair after 2 glasses of Cab.!

:hairy:

x5o

Established Member
Reaction score
So you enjoy red wine too. Gives me a bit of a head ache if I drink more than one glass. Benzos and opiates ease my pain. I try to avoid alcohol, but if it works for ya more power to ya! :beer:

G

x5o said:
So you enjoy red wine too. Gives me a bit of a head ache if I drink more than one glass. Benzos and opiates ease my pain. I try to avoid alcohol, but if it works for ya more power to ya! :beer:

One of my favorite sayings (made it up myself back when I was in corporate America) was that there was no problem that Mozart and a good glass of Cabernet couldn't resolve!

Cheers!!

x5o

Established Member
Reaction score
I prefer Pachabel (preferably Canon). But I'm with ya on the concept. Pachabel and my pills......................no more pain.........no more worries!