Zen's Story

ZenRCade

Reaction score
I am about to turn 21. I used to have fairly long hair until about a year ago, when I decided to go for the buzz look. People seemed to like it, I liked it, and I wasn’t thinking about hair loss at all. Chalk it up to my parents telling me it’d never happen to me, despite a balding father and bald grandfather.

I shaved my head a second time during the summer and found that it wasn’t growing back the way I remembered. My mother commented that I have her father’s hairline. As my hair grew out, I found the sides of the front thinner than they had been. Admittedly, I’m not that far along, but it bothered me.

After some research, much of it done at this site, I ordered Rogaine 5% and have been using since the week of Thanksgiving. That puts me at about three weeks now. So far I haven’t found it intrusive on my daily life. I’m not sure if I’ve had much growth yet. I think I’ve had a few hairs return. I know it's early and to give it time, and using it at the front will likely have less results than if I was losing in back. I don’t know if I went through a shedding period or not. It’s all hard to tell as my hair gets longer.

I think it’s looking better, at least -- be it the length, the Rogaine, the thickening/cleansing shampoo, or a combination. The pictures aren’t that clear – my camera isn’t great and it’s hard to take closer pictures in a mirror, but I’m doing what I can to document it. Any opinions on how far along I am in the hair loss process or anything else are appreciated. I’ll try to keep this updated. The pictures are on Geocities and therefore the site may not be accessible after a few visits. We’ll see. Here’s the link, and thanks.

http://www.geocities.com/sw111998/

PS: Is it just me, or is my right side worse than my left? Is it possible that this assymetry means it may not be completely genetic, or is this normal for some?

21gone

Established Member
Reaction score
I personally would say drop the rogain as you do not really need it as of yet. You do however need to get propecia or proscar and give that a year and let it takes its course. Rogain is a pain and at this point I do not really think you need it. Anyways give propecia or proscar a shot. ( both have the same ingrediant)

Trent

Experienced Member
Reaction score
yes, having one side thinner than the other is common with male pattern baldness. get on propecia, if you want to stick with the rogaine that's up to you, if you don't find it annoying and really think you can stick with it. Some people on this forum have the opinion that if you are catching male pattern baldness early (like yourself) you can just use propecia and then later if it wears off in a number of years, you can add rogaine to sustain your full head of hair even longer. just a thought, it is of course your decision.

ZenRCade

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I asked my doctor about it but at the time I was there for an anti-anxiety/OC drug and he said he wasn’t itching to put me on a testosterone-related drug right away. However, I haven’t had any problems with my current medicine, so I can ask him again or go see a dermatologist if necessary.

My only problem with propecia is how many times I’ve seen men complain about the sexual side effects. Are they that frequent/widespread? Not that I have the most active sex life, but there’s always a chance. Rogaine hasn’t been a problem for me so far. I’ve got no problem with adding a pill to the regimen so long as the rest of me is still mostly in working order. Can anyone give me a quick lowdown on proscar, maybe a personal experience?

21gone

Established Member
Reaction score
I use proscar and have not really noticed any side effects. The only one that I did notice was perhaps a very slight drop in labido in the early stages but that did not last long. The other one was that I did break out with acne as well, but once again for the most part that passed. While I did have a drop of labido I still had no real problem " getting it up" just was not all that interested in sex for a short time. The side effects are not all that present, you will see a lot of posts freaking out or over analyzing things but in reality that side effects are not all that prevalent.

ZenRCade

Reaction score
Okay, looked up proscar. I see that it’s a prostate drug first and happens to have an effect on hair loss. What are the chances of my doctor or a dermatologist prescribing me this drug without my having any prostate trouble? And what, if any, difference in cost is there between proscar and propecia?

21gone

Established Member
Reaction score
Yeah there is a huge difference in price. Basically propecia costs somewhere around 50 dollars a month. I pay 70 for proscar. The thing with proscar though is that for a month supply it will last you 4 to 5 months. Proscar comes in 5 mg form while propecia comes in 1mg form, both of which have the same ingrediant, that being finasteride. The only thing that is different is taht you have to cut up the proscar into 4ths or 5ths. The pill is small and can be a pain but after a while its gets pretty easy to cut. I know my Doctor at first did not want to prescribe me proscar and gave me a propecia script. I talked to him during the appointment and showed him that it is very common to cut up proscar. He said he would check into it and the next day he called me and gave me a script for proscar with the directions saying to split it into 4ths. Just go to your Doctor and make sure that you know your stuff, I told my Doctor just about everything I knew including the side effects and that I was ok with the fact that I may and I stress may get them. In this case knowledge is power so go to your Doctor informed.

ZenRCade

Reaction score
Thanks a lot for all the info, 21. I really do appreciate it. I've got an appointment with my Doctor coming up soon anyway, so I'll make sure to be up on all this stuff by then. Thanks again.

ZenRCade

Reaction score
Trying to do weekly updates for my self it nothing more. Still just using Rogaine. I haven’t seen much difference, maybe even some loss, but I know that it takes time if it’s gonna work. I’m fine with keeping at it – I actually kinda like the way it makes my hair look – but I’ve been considering a DHT inhibitor as stated above.

I won’t be seeing my doctor as soon as I thought and I know that the side effects aren’t definite and can be temporary if present but I do wonder if maybe I should consider using Revivogen. It’s cheaper, only used once a day, and on top of Rogaine may help. What do you think? Check out my pictures for one month in here (Geocities, so if it doesn’t work, sorry):

21gone

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey Zen, proscar will def be cheaper than revivogen ( which is not proven while finasteride is) either way you will eventually need to add some type of DHT blocker, whether that be finasteride or some other type such as spironolactone (once again not really proven). Either way as you are at the beginning you do not need much the best advice would be to keep what ever you choose simple, less eqyuals more in this case, you do not want your regimine to bog you down. Hope this helps.

ZenRCade

Reaction score
Week 5:

Still think I’ve been losing more. Can’t tell if it’s slowed down at all or not. I missed one of my Rogaine applications but I doubt it’d make a noticeable difference. I’m calling my doctor tomorrow for an appointment. I intend to bring up the Propecia situation but I’m still not sold on it myself. Not that I don’t think it works, but the possible side effects are still discouraging.

Some days I feel like my hair’s looking better and some days worse. It’s hard to tell if the way it’s parting at the front-sides is a natural cowlick or a result of thinning hair. Still considering adding something like Nioxin and/or Revivogen as a possible alternative before going to Propecia despite being unproven. I’m gonna try to bring home a better camera so I can more accurately document progress/loss. These pictures aren’t that clear. Details are obscured. Still updated my pictures. Any thoughts are appreciated.

PartTimeNinja

Established Member
Reaction score
Dude, your hairloss pattern looks identical to mine! I have checked out tons and tons of images but never found anything that looked remotely like my loss. Just wanted to add that. I don't use Minoxidil (yet) so there's really nothing I can ad...

ZenRCade

Reaction score
That's a weird coincidence, PTN. I haven't looked very hard but I haven't seen any that look that similar to mine either. Hopefully updating pictures tomorrow. I also just ordered a Revivogen pack online and am considering ordering generic finasteride.

ZenRCade

Reaction score
Week 6:

Sometimes I feel fully confident in my hair and sometimes it’s all I think about. Loss hasn’t seemed to slow down any. Nothing feels great but occasionally I see what I’ve lost and don’t freak out. Maybe because I’m doing something about it even if the results seem nonexistent so far. Seeing others with more obvious and/or more developed hair loss can help. It also serves as a reminder of what to expect. I ordered Revivogen and generic finasteride last night. Took these pictures today. I need to try and make the angles as consistent as possible for more accurate documentation. Check them out at the site below. Any observations or suggestions are welcome and much appreciated.

The Traveler

Reaction score
Zen-

We seem to have very similar hair loss patterns. My hairline looks very much like yours (I will post pictures soon). Currently, I'm just using Rogaine on the front for hair line restoration and also will use AM Crew Revitalize. Have you thought of using something like Tricomin?

The Traveler

Reaction score
Zen-

We seem to have very similar hair loss patterns. My hairline looks very much like yours (I will post pictures soon). Currently, I'm just using Rogaine on the front for hair line restoration and also will use AM Crew Revitalize. Have you thought of using something like Tricomin?

ZenRCade

Reaction score
Traveler-

Definitely interested in seeing your pictures. Let me know when they’re up. I’ve considered most of the main options. Currently using Rogaine 5%, just ordered Revivogen and finasteride like I said. Also using Nizoral and various thickening shampoos. Tricomin I looked into and took note of but figured I should add a DHT blocker first. Have you seen any results from it yet? Better stick with what I’ve got coming for now but I’m definitely open to what’s available. Like everyone around here says, start with less. Also, what’s AM Crew Revitalize?

Side note to myself if no one else: I’m visiting my folks and forgot to bring my Rogaine. I’ll be able to use it tomorrow but this is probably the third or fourth application in six weeks of use that I’ve missed. When I began I figured it’d be no problem keeping up but honestly all the other times I missed besides this one have been because of a weird sleep schedule paired with momentary laziness. This time is a stupid mistake and that needs to become the only reason I ever miss. I will improve.

The Traveler

Reaction score
Zen-

My pictures are up (click on the link). Am Crew Revitalize is a new product by American Crew that contains Copper Peptides. The formula is similar to the one in Tricomin (same ingredients).

ZenRCade

Reaction score
Just got my Revivogen in the mail today. Tonight will be my first application. Earlier I used the shampoo and conditioner. I followed them with Jason Think-to-Thick hair thickening shampoo with biotin. It really seems to help the overall appearance a lot. Hopefully the finasteride will come soon.

ZenRCade

Reaction score
Been using Revivogen shampoo, conditioner, and the chemical application for a few days now. It’s no hassle to apply before bedtime and only once did it seem to react with the Rogaine I put on 20 minutes later. Just a little tingle. Should I maybe reverse the order to Rogaine, wait 20 minutes, then Revivogen?

The only problem is that today I noticed some dry skin and flaking on my scalp specifically near the hairline. I’ve never had a very dry scalp except as a child when I had crust there and used something like Nizoral in prescription form. I’m wondering if it’s from shampooing more often now with the Revivogen or using both that and Rogaine or something else entirely. It’s not itchy or anything, I just noticed dry skin and I when I disturbed the area it flaked easily. Anyone have a diagnosis and/or tips?