Your Ideas on Good Meal Balance

The Gardener

Reaction score
What do you all think are good food items and choices for a daily diet?

As for myself, here is my philosophy:

I try to center my dinner meals around lean meats, whole grains, and greens. For my meats, I usually eat chicken, pork, salmon, and turkey. I try to bake all of my meats, and try to avoid pan frying them.

Chicken is great, very versatile, is good diced up and tossed into a curry base to simmer for a half hour or so, or can be marinated any number of ways, or dry rub seasonings can be applied and then baked in the oven. Salmon is not nearly as versatile, but I try to eat it once or twice a week with some lemon and dill, or sometimes teriyaki, or sometimes a cajun dry rub. Turkey cutlets can get dry when cooking them, if I have to pan fry a meat for the sake of menu variety, I'll do it with turkey. I have baked turkey, but do so either with a sage dry rub, or you can literally bake it in a pyrex with a layer of turkey gravy over it (turkey gravy is inherently low in fat), which helps keep in moist. I've also seared turkey in a saucepan, then tossed it in the oven to finish it. Deglaze the saucepan with white wine, add in some broth and some crushed peppercorns, sage or poultry seasoning, and cook it down to a gravy while the lean cutlets bake to completion in the oven.

As for the carb portion of my diet, I try to stick to whole grains as much as I can. I have almost completely converted over to brown rice for all rice dishes. It's good boiled in chicken broth, and for an extra touch you can slice up some green onion, mushroom, and a dash of curry or sage and let it all cook up together in sort of a brown rice pilaf. Brown rice contains more complex carbs than does white rice, and more fiber!

Another great whole grain is Quinoa. It's different... very small "balls" that have kind of a nutty, almost teriyaki-like flavor in and of themselves. Needless to say it goes well with teriyaki chicken, and it's very filling. Just a third cup of the stuff can really fill you up. As it is a whole grain, it has a more complex carbohydrate, and it is also higher in protein than rice is, for instance.

Spelt is one of my favorite whole grains, and is VERY healthy for you. Like Quinoa, it's fairly high in protein for a grain, and also high in fiber. However, Spelt has a more familiar texture, its kind of like a more chewy form of Risotto, and has a very mild nutty flavor that I love. Very versatile, you can season it to match most any dish, and it cooks quickly.

Lastly, one of my favorite carb side dishes is the Lentil. Lentils are GREAT because they are cheap, they are loaded with fiber, loaded with protein, and loaded with high quality carbohydrates. They now have "quick cooking" lentils that are prepared just as you would a serving of rice... you just pour in, say, a half cup of lentils.. then a cup and a half of water, bring to a boil and then let it simmer. 20-30 minutes later you will have a delicious pan full of lentils, ready to be served alongside a chicken breast or whatever protein you are serving. They are GREAT seasoned with some salt, pepper, and cumin. While I cook them, I'll often add in some cumin, some chopped onion, some garlic, and half a bay leaf and they turn out delicious. DON'T add salt to the water while cooking them, as salt will make the lentils' skin tough. Wait until after they are cooked, drizzle a little olive oil over them, then perhaps a few dashes of rock salt, and fold it all together. DELICIOUS and very nutritious.

Any of you have any thoughts, suggestions, ideas for meals? What are your favorite healthy tips?

CCS

Reaction score
as for the lentils, osmotic pressure is stronger without the salt. Put the salt in during boiling, and the water won't go into the lentils as fast or fully. I did not know about the skin part. I would toss them in a blender first to increase the surface area so they cook faster, but then I don't care what the food looks like.

You did not mention fruit. Complex carbs are no better than simple sugars. It is the fiber that slows the sugar spiking and makes are carb good. That's why whole grains are good and partial grains have the same glycimic index as sugar. Fruit has a very low glycemic index because of the fiber. The B vitamins in grains help with glucose metabolism so that it is metabolised without as manay harmful intermediates. The fats in whole grains slow digestion, and the vitamin E in that fat protects you against the free radicals of digestion. Fruit tends not to have B vitamins or vitamin E, but it has very high doses of vitamin C that give you the protection you need.

Metabolism causes free radicals. Workouts are an extreme case. That is why I take vitamin E before my workout, and green tea extract after my workout. My forearms are too sore to type much more, so later.

hairwegoagain

Reaction score
Well, this may not fit exactly into the subject genre, but my wife makes an absolutely awesome "healthy" stuffed pepper.

97% lean ground beef is combined with whole brown rice, adding onions, pimentos, and other chopped goodies to form the mix. This, of course, is used to fill either green or red halfed bell peppers. They're placed in a pyrex baking dish and...believe it or not, she pours V8 juice over the whole mess and covers it with aluminum foil.

I'm not sure of the oven temp (seems like 375F) or time, but the result is surprisingly good, rivaling the taste and texture of the full-blown home cookin' version. It's one of my favorite "healthy" dishes...and is quite filling.

CCS

Reaction score
That sounds really good. I can't stand peppers unless they are pickled or cooked. Then they taste good. I'm a bit bothered by using aluminum, though. I heard people with alzheimers have a lot of aluminum in their brain. FDA is not worried since they don't know if the aluminum causes it or the other way around, but I try to avoid it. I'd like to cook with just glass, though that only works for baking. I bought a stainless steal pan, but now someone told me that has a layer that might be just as bad. I can't win. I need something to cook my brown rice and lentils in. At least if I'm just boiling and not frying, probably less stuff will come off and go into the food. But maybe Aluminum has an oxide that coats it and keeps it safe? I don't know.

hairwegoagain

Reaction score
I'm not particularly fond of raw peppers either...although I do enjoy chopped jalapenos picked fresh from my annual garden.

Just use a covered dish if you don't like aluminum foil. Good grief.

As for choice of pans/pots, why not go old-school cast iron? They're a pain in the *** to maintain and keep "seasoned," but they last for generations and nothing else holds heat as well.

hairwegoagain

Reaction score
Yep, peppers are among the easiest plants to garden in this area. Yield is always high as long as you have either pollinating insects or breezy conditions. More rain = bigger fruit but drought conditions = more Scoville units. Win/win. They should grow well in your area. As a matter of fact, one of my favorite varieties is the Anaheim, which is essentially a Poblano hybrid.

I can't grow tomatoes worth a damn but peppers, radishes and Black Diamond watermelon are always winners.

Now, I'm off to scavenge a dish of Blue Bell's new "Century Sundae" ice cream.

s.a.f

Reaction score
collegechemistrystudent said:
I'm a bit bothered by using aluminum, though. I heard people with alzheimers have a lot of aluminum in their brain. FDA is not worried since they don't know if the aluminum causes it or the other way around, but I try to avoid it. I'd like to cook with just glass, though that only works for baking. I bought a stainless steal pan, but now someone told me that has a layer that might be just as bad. I can't win. But maybe Aluminum has an oxide that coats it and keeps it safe? I don't know.

I bet you worry about pollutants in the air that you breathe aswell.

oni

Reaction score
Chicken and pasta.

Made with.

Chicken breast
Whole grain pasta
Virgin olive oil
Onions
Garlic
Broadleaf thyme
Spinach
Tinned tomatoes
Concentrated tomato past
Black pepper
Cayenne papper
Red wine
Worcestershire sauce
Salt

Washed down with a nice large glass of red wine!

This is a good meal for you.

CCS

Reaction score
s.a.f said:
I'm a bit bothered by using aluminum, though. I heard people with alzheimers have a lot of aluminum in their brain. FDA is not worried since they don't know if the aluminum causes it or the other way around, but I try to avoid it. I'd like to cook with just glass, though that only works for baking. I bought a stainless steal pan, but now someone told me that has a layer that might be just as bad. I can't win. But maybe Aluminum has an oxide that coats it and keeps it safe? I don't know.

I bet you worry about pollutants in the air that you breathe aswell.

Yes I do. That is one reason I don't like riding my bike on the road with all that car exhaust, unless I take a side street.

CCS

Reaction score
On topic: vegetables are not multi-vitamins. "super nutricious" vegetables don't have loads of vitamins. Actually they same a grain, size for size. Vegetables are good because they have the nutrients without the calories, so you can eat a lot of them to boost your nutrient intake and not get fat. The problem is they are expensive. Leafy greens have a lot of vitamin K and A even for their size.

Off topic: I'd like to cook with glass, or something silica based. What are coffee pots made of? Can I cook with a glass bowl, and not have it shatter afterwards? Would all the heat just be at the bottom?

oni

Reaction score
collegechemistrystudent come on have you not seen "pyrex" are you sure you are studying chemistry? raid the lab!! for something to cook in! :D

What's wrong with stainless steel good old 304 grade! get a good pot with a copper bottom plate! :wink:

DammitLetMeIn

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Microfiltrated Ion-Exchanged Whey Protein is the best, highest quality protein available.

Chicken and all the other meats are much less biologically available and bring with them a certain amount of inflammatory properties.

hairwegoagain

Reaction score
Off topic: I'd like to cook with glass, or something silica based. What are coffee pots made of? Can I cook with a glass bowl, and not have it shatter afterwards? Would all the heat just be at the bottom?

CCS, sometimes I think you were born and raised in a shoebox.