Your hairloss might not look as horrible as you think it does

ctulhu

Reaction score
Hey guys, this is my attempt to maybe put balding into perspective.

I'm 27 years old an propably a Norwood 2,5. Balding temples and a thin spot (though not bald) on my crown.

For the last couple of years I am battling hairloss sucessfully with finasteride and minoxidil, but it never regrew to the point where I'd say "It's not noticable". I was always paranoid about people, and girls especially, noticing my hair loss, which for me was painfully obvious. How could someone NOT see it?

Anyway, the last couple of weeks and months I've developed the courage to ask friends and family about how they see my hairloss. I've got my hair short to medium length, since I've always felt that it looked best for my headshape, and my biggest fear was being one of those oblivious guys who grew their hair out even though they were going bald.

So I've asked about 8 different people, 6 of them girls, about how they perceived my hairloss. Two of these women were some I had been intimate with, who have seen me in the shower, without any styling, or whatever. To my big suprise, every one of them said something along the lines of "What hairloss? Oh, yeah it's a bit thin on top, I guess", and everyone told me that it looks fine and that they propably wouldn't have noticed if I hadn't told them. This included girls who were with guys who were balding themselves, or had family members who are balding.

To me this was really suprising and quite encouraging. For years I thought my hairloss was clearly noticable, and slighty disfiguring. It turns out, many people don't even notice it, and the old saying that you yourself are your biggest critic seems to hold true.

As a side note, I've been talking a lot with female friends about what they find attractive in a man, and which men they found attractive. It appears that hair is often not really that big of an issue. A good looking girl I talked with was with a guy who wore a hair piece, and she said that it was really suprising at first, but because he handled it with confidence, she didn't mind at all.

I have no idea if this helps anybody, but for me it was a huge revelation.

ctulhu

Reaction score
Yes, I know that I'm still fortunate compared to guys with a Norwood 4 - 6. I have however also met quite a lot of guys who are balding worse than me, some at a Norwood 6 level, who still have a fulfilled love life. Many girls I've talked to think that while it's not ideal, hairless is not the disfiguring disease people on these forums make it out to be. A friend of mine is completely bald on top and not in great shape, but he has a nice girlfriend and more often than not meets girls who are interested in him , because he's a confident guy.

Deadman1

Established Member
Reaction score
Give me a break! Your friends aren't going to be honest with you if they think it will hurt your feelings. Also, as others have mentioned, see what say about a Norwood 5. Even if that was you, they wouldn't be honest if they though it would hurt your feelings.

HairGuru22

Established Member
Reaction score
Give me a break! Your friends aren't going to be honest with you if they think it will hurt your feelings. Also, as others have mentioned, see what say about a Norwood 5. Even if that was you, they wouldn't be honest if they though it would hurt your feelings.

This!

end /thread.

uncomfortable man

Reaction score
Yeah, but what happens when your hair loss progresses to the point where you can't hide it anymore and it is as bad as it looks? What then? Do you loose your value as a human being? Do you become some kind of unforgiveable monster? Is that what your implying?

ctulhu

Reaction score
I am not at all implying that you look like some sort of monster. Also damn, you guys are really negative.

At my age, a lot of friends of mine are balding, some quite severely. None of them really have a problem with women strictly because of their hair. Quite a lot of female friends I have are with men who are balding, some have been Norwood 5-6 since they were in their early 20s.
What I'm trying to say is that people in general don't judge hairloss as severely as it's always said on these forums. To me the biggest issue with it is and was how it affects my chances with women. And I'm not saying that it's a non-issue, but it's not as horrible as balding people seem to think it is, myself included.
A female friend of mine had a crush on another friend of mine, who has had frontal balding since he was 20 or so, she never cared about it. Another recently commented on a guy I know that he was incredibly handsome, and he was a 3mm shaved Norwood 4 at least.

Before I used finasteride and minoxidil, I was propably a Norwood 3 with major thinning all over my head. I still had small liasons with girls who were good looking to downright hot, at the same time that some friends of mine told me "Damn, you're really balding man." I am otherwise not an incredibly handsome guy either.

Balding sucks, yes. It's also not terribly attractive either. But it's NOT a death sentence, and it does not mean that you're screwed.

uncomfortable man

Reaction score
I am not at all implying that you look like some sort of monster. Also damn, you guys are really negative.

At my age, a lot of friends of mine are balding, some quite severely. None of them really have a problem with women strictly because of their hair. Quite a lot of female friends I have are with men who are balding, some have been Norwood 5-6 since they were in their early 20s.
What I'm trying to say is that people in general don't judge hairloss as severely as it's always said on these forums. To me the biggest issue with it is and was how it affects my chances with women. And I'm not saying that it's a non-issue, but it's not as horrible as balding people seem to think it is, myself included.
A female friend of mine had a crush on another friend of mine, who has had frontal balding since he was 20 or so, she never cared about it. Another recently commented on a guy I know that he was incredibly handsome, and he was a 3mm shaved Norwood 4 at least.

Before I used finasteride and minoxidil, I was propably a Norwood 3 with major thinning all over my head. I still had small liasons with girls who were good looking to downright hot, at the same time that some friends of mine told me "Damn, you're really balding man." I am otherwise not an incredibly handsome guy either.

Balding sucks, yes. It's also not terribly attractive either. But it's NOT a death sentence, and it does not mean that you're screwed.

Sorry, your title implied to me that it's all about looks. I can only speak from my own experience but it has not been good. People treat me differently, worse, with less respect now that I'm bald. It's made me loose all my faith in humanity. Now I'm just bitter and filled with hate but I blame society for that. If I didn't have to deal with people all together then that would just make my life all the better.