YouOnlyLiveOnce's Story -(PHAZE 1 COMPLETE!!! Had Surgery)

Reaction score
Alright guys, brief history on my story.

People have commented on my receding temples since I was 15. I became concerned around the age of 20-21 when I notice my hairline & temples thinning out a bit. I was able to style my hair normally up until about 2 years ago, but lately I've been living life under the cap. Its not my best look so I'm finally gonna go under the knife and change that! =]

Honestly, when I noticed the hairs falling out or my hairline I went into panic mode and was scared tot death I'd be bald in a couple years time. Well here I am almost 7 years later and finally ready to "take the plunge".

I did many online consultations with various top docs @ the age 22. All but one [Armani , go figure] said hair loss was too minimal & check back in a few years.

In terms of loss, I think my hair has held up decently well. I took propecia for less than a year but noticed I was still losing some hair so I figured it wasn't working so I quit it... My hair isn't super dense but I think it has above average diameter thickness so hopefully I get god coverage. I'm scheduled for 2500-3000 grafts with Dr. Hasson next month and hopefully that will be the beginning of the end of me worry about stupid hair loss, at least for a few years..

I'm currently 27. No balding on my moms side and my dad was nw3-4 ish around the age of 40. Hopefully I can hang onto what I have with meds [I'm gonna start a regiment after the transplant]

anyway, here a are a couple pics to show my current state. The plans is to lower the hairline about a cm, fill in the temples, and reinforce throughout the hairline

These first couple pics are with flash

k1q70l.jpg

4j4aiv.jpg

fxsahv.jpg

14brbys.jpg

This second group is no flash

1072weq.jpg

2ugguh4.jpg

paotj.jpg

2me34ut.jpg

x5wneo.jpg

v75jba.jpg

this pic shows my hair at its absolute worst

2lubf5k.jpg

ivangennaro

Established Member
Reaction score
Re: GettingMySwagBack's Story -(27 Having hair transplant w/ H&W October 4th)

Crown seems OK but I can't say the same for the hairline. You'll focus just on hairline in the hair transplant thing, right? Good luck BTW.

Shma

Established Member
Reaction score

good luck, make sure the Doctor doesn't waste too many grafts.

TheGrayMan2001

Reaction score

Yeah your hair looks pretty thick except the hairline has went way back.

I'd probably try to get on propecia if you noticed no side effects, you'll need to post-hair transplant

Reaction score

thanks for the support.

The initial # and goal was based on an online consultation. Dr. Hasson and I will talk more once I get to Canada and we'll over my goals/expectations and what he feels is a reasonable long term plan & make a final decision there. Though, I don't think the number will be too far off, if off at all.

I've naturally had a high forehead as long as I can remember. I have a red dot that's right at my hairline. My hairline has thinned out and the temples have receded but the hairline hasn't fallen back too much. B dropping it a cm I should be ahead of where I was at around 20. . I'm not looking for my teenage hairline, just an age appropriate head of hair I can style with no worries. I'll deff keep you guys update during the journey.

deadlocks

Established Member
Reaction score

That's quite a nice hairstyle you have for your hairline. Wish you the best. Be sure to post results here.

TheGrayMan2001

Reaction score

Honestly with the way your hair is if the hairline area was just filled in, even with the temples back, you'd look like you have barely lost anything. Most people wouldn't even know.

Reaction score

yeah my hair isnt too too horible. If I put product in it and style it I can still pull off a decent look [the pics above are after wearing cap at work all day].

If I can get my hair back to where it looked @ 22 ish I'll be a happy camper. I'm hoping with this procedure I can achieve that and maintain what I have with meds and not have to worry about hair for 5-10 years atleast. The pics below aren't the greatest but its what I'm after or something close. I dont feel my face has aged much but without styling my hair I look a bit older.

4joyma.jpg

Obsidian

Reaction score

Why do that when you can try the big three instead?

Reaction score

I'll jump on those shortly after the procedure.

I'm fortunate that I didnt have an aggressive patern of hair loss. Its been slow but steady and I feel now its to the point where I need to do something about it. I wish I had jumped on/stayed on those early on but while taking nizoral and propecia I noticed the hairloss progressing so I made the decision to quit. 5 Years later this is what I'm left with & I dont really know if things would be better hadn't I quit.

I do the best I can to conceal the loss so they way I wear my hair or cover my loss may actually make it seem better than what it is.

captain_que

Established Member
Reaction score

good luck man and keep us posted! This will be life changing for sure. They say finasteride should work well for the crown so idk maybe focus grafts on the front..? What do you plan to do during the healing process?

Reaction score

I'm gonna have surgery on monday then return to work the following monday so I'll be 7 days post -op. I hope this is enough time. I can wear a hat all day at work so my concern isnt concealing the transplant but more so making sure I don't over do it too soon. I'd prefer to take 2 weeks off but theres no way I could pull that off through work.

I'm about 4-5 hours from Vancouver Bc so I plan to drive there and back with my gf.

captain_que

Established Member
Reaction score

One week is minimum I suppose.. Make sure to wear as loose a hat as possible I suppose, so you don´t damage any grafts..
AND post pics to show how you progress, would mean a great deal for those of us considering to take the plunge ourselves :)

Are you going to shave it off for the procedure btw?
Kudos to your gf for being supportive! Don´t know if I´d be able to tell anyone if I got a procedure :whistle:

Reaction score

I'm not gonna shave my head entirely but I'll see what the Doctor says about the recipient area. If he suggest it then that's most likely what I'll end up doing.

As far as my gf goes, I was a little apprehensive to tell her I was serious about getting a procedure. She's known hair-loss has bothered me for years [ we've been together over 8 years]. She would always tell me "you're not even losing your hair". When I finally made the decision to start really planning this out she stood behind me 100%. Rather than staying in a hotel I think we'll rent a condo while we're up there and try to make it a mini-vacation.

skelll

Established Member
Reaction score

Best of luck to ya, I hope u have an experienced Dr. My uncle got a transplant and it didnt work out, looked bad. But that was like almost 15 yrs ago as I hear it has become much more advanced since then

Reaction score

I feel confident in my choice of Doctor. H&W are some of the best in the business and have proven results all over the next.

So guys, 2 weeks from now I'll be sitting in my hotel rooms with a head full of re-arranged hair. Deff. nerve racking to think about but come july-ish I should should be a happy man :)

TheGrayMan2001

Reaction score

good luck dude.

i'm still amazed you have such thickness in your hair despite your hairline virtually disappearing, amazing. the hair transplant should help a lot.

Reaction score

alright guys, phase one of hair restoration is complete

Had my surgery today with Dr. Hasson. After taking a quick evaluation of my hair, his response was "oh yeah! we can fix this no problem" That was quite comforting. We were shooting for 2500-3000 grafts and we ended up getting 2962, I'm not sure if that number is 100% accurate so I'll have to check with the staff.

My laxity was good not great but good enough to easily pull what I needed.

My donor density was roughly 70 cm squared which I believe is around average

According to hasson, the receipient area was transplanted @ 50-60cm squared. I asked the Doctor how good that was and he said nobody could've package it tighter will be extremely happy with the results.

I've PM'd the head moderator and the admin on this site to get my username changed but I cant seem to get ahold of anyone.

I'll give you guys a more thorough write up tomorrow or weds.

Thickandthin

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Re: GettingMySwagBack's Story PHAZE 1 COMPLETE!!! Had Surgery

Personally, I think you made the right decision by getting a hair transplant. The rest of your hair looks perfect, and may not start thinning for another 10+ years.

I'm in roughly the same boat as you. My hair looks about like yours did in the "before" pics, but I suspect I'll have the same pattern as you by the time I'm in my late 20s/early 30s (I'm 24 now). Heavy frontal recession with an intact crown and midscalp. I will probably go the hair transplant route as well.

Keep us updated on your progress. I think you are going to be VERY happy in 6-8 months.

skelll

Established Member
Reaction score
Re: GettingMySwagBack's Story PHAZE 1 COMPLETE!!! Had Surgery

Could u possibly post some pics?? Im curious to see what it looks like or if it scars.