Youngtraveller's Story - (20 with male pattern baldness consuming my life...)

youngtraveller

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I know I probably have the same sad story as hundreds of other members and readers.. I'll share it anyway because I guess it feels good to get it off my chest.

I'm 20 years old and ever since I was 15 / 16 I have noticed I have had a different hair line to the rest of my friends and people my age.. at about 16 it really started to worry me.. my Doctor said I wasnt losing my hair. My mum said it was just in my head and my hairline was a little higher (more receeded) than most, but that was just the way I was and it wouldnt get any worse. For about a year I beleived this was just the case and any time anyone asked about it I said "oh i just have a pretty high hairline.. its just how I am, its always been this way".

Four years on and it's pretty obvious im suffering from male pattern baldness... For the last 3 years or so I have been absolutely paranoid about my hair, and for the last 12 months or so its been even worse... I find myself avoiding the mirror at home, looking directly at the sink when i clean my teeth. Trying to avoid being reminded that im going BALD. It sounds stupid, but it is really ruining my life. Every time I see a loose hair in my bed or on my clothing i'm hit with depression. I feel at 20 years I shouldn't be making trips into the bathroom at work to check that my hair is okay. I shouldn't be afraid to walk down the road because the wind will blow my hair to the side.. I shouldn't feel the need to get out of bed at 3am to stand at the mirror staring at my hair line cursing the world - my friends who don't have to experience what i'm going through - my parents who don't see it as a big deal - god (if there is one.. seriously though if there is one.. how does male pattern baldness fit into his plan????).

I've been on Propecia for about 16 months and it hasn't seemed to help.. It's hard to tell though if it has helped slow it down or if this is the speed at which I was always destined to go bald. I tried Rogaine for a while but that just made my scalp itch and I seemed to scratch out even more hairs in my sleep! - has anyone else experienced this whilst taking Rogaine? I don't know if I should keep on the Propecia or not.. It is expensive as hell and i'm worried that it might be making me put on weight / slowing my metabolism.. (I don't want to be FAT and BALD...) Hair transplants tickle my fancy every now and then, but then i'm reminded of the cost.. And the fact that for the rest of my life I would always feel "fake"?

At this stage I feel lost / at a dead end.. I dont know where to go from here.. should I just man up and shave it all off and hope like hell that I look alright? Should I keep my hair the way it is until eventually... I don't know? It receeds into nothing? I wear my hair fairly long and brush it forward and probably use my hand to inconspicously push my hair back across my temples when the wind or anything else moves it about 100 (conservatively) times a day. My father has the same hair line as me.. and hes 53! tries to tell me that hes had it his whole life but his memory isn't the best and I don't particularily beleive him.. Is it possible to have a hairline as fcked up as mine as part of your genetics?

I suppose coming on here for help / support feels like my last real option. I have an appointment booked with a psychotherapist next week to hopefully help me get through this or work on my self esteem but who knows.
Thanks for reading - I know I have a pretty negative outlook but I guess this is me opening up about my problem.

[attachment=0:2oe26wig]212121.jpg[/attachment:2oe26wig]
[attachment=1:2oe26wig]12121212.jpg[/attachment:2oe26wig]

Attachments

• 12121212.jpg
    12121212.jpg
    260.8 KB · Views: 305
  • 212121.jpg
    212121.jpg
    202.6 KB · Views: 303

treeshrew

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Re: aged 20 with male pattern baldness consuming my life...

hey, i dunno, but i think the propecia is doing it's job. it just doesn't work that well on the temples. looks like you have a very thick and full crown area, which is where it works best.

i found adding rogaine foam to the temples, in combo with the finasteride, helped stop shedding from that area.

not sure about the itching and scratching at night. i never experienced that - were you using foam or liquid?

you still have lots of hair to work with. you might consider adding some product to thicken up the front hair.

i'd keep taking the propecia (switch to proscar if money is an issue) and try foam on the temples.

again, you still have lots of hair!

Costanzo

Reaction score

Wow. I feel the same way, and you're definetly not alone.

It doesn't look to bad in picture 1, man. I'll be 20 in november and my hair doesn't look that different from yours even though you have a slightly higher hairline than me.

I'd try a combover to the right side, until it becomes unbearable and then just do a buzzcut. Lot of people pull it off nicely.

I'd also quit Propecia if you have tried it for 16 months, and doesn't feel a difference. They say you can see after 12 months if it works.

libertine

Reaction score

First Ive gotta say nice one for coming on here and opening up to people, its definitely not easy to do but hopefully the advice and support you'll get from this will be beneficial. To be honest, I think there are basically two options you have. The first of which is simply to give up the fight against it, and to accept it. Perhaps easier said than done because it is clear this is something which is really getting to you. On the plus it will definitely be cheaper, and there's not the hassle of meds involved.

The second option is the one I'd recommend, and thats to fight it. You said you'd been on propecia for 16 months, but seen little in the way of results, although it is possible it has slowed the process. While propecia is probably the single most effective treatment you can be taking, it doesn't really suprise me that it didnt appear to do much other than slow the process. Its not really a drug which on its own will produce regrowth (unless you're an exceptionally good responder to it), it generally just helps you to keep what you've got.

Basically, what I'm trying to say is that if you're gonna fight this, and I definitely think you should, and you're gonna use meds then I think you should really go for it. Don't just use propecia, but use it in conjunction with nizoral shampoo and rogaine (the big three) and you should start seeing better results. Perhaps add some triocomin as well to really encourage regrowth.

Yes using all these meds wouldnt be cheap, but there are generic alternatives which contain the same substances at a much better price. Yes they will take time, you shouldn't really make any judgements about how effective they have been until a year has passed. However, I think if these meds even just stabilized your hairloss and allowed you to maintain you'd feel better, reading your post it seems, to me at least, that there's a sense that male pattern baldness is really affecting your life in a negative way and you feel powerless against it, you feel you can't stop it. And with meds, it really doesn't have to be that way. If meds helped you even just to maintain I think the sense of control you'd feel that you had over it would perhaps reduce the anxiety you are feeling.

Then of course, there's always the possibility of experiencing regrowth. If the propecia reduces your dht then using minoxidil and tricomin will give you a real chance of experiencing noticible regrowth. Don't take my word for it, go read the success stories forum and you'll find plenty of examples of people who are more than happy with their results from meds.

Anyway that's just my advice, I don't think anybody should ever give up. We're hearing of new treatments and drugs all the time as well so you never know what the future holds. Even using the meds we have now, I think that with effort and perserverance you could be in a much better place in 12 to 18 months.

Best of luck mate.

Route66

Reaction score
Hi mate

My hairline is similar to yours, though I'm 42. I intend to get my hair fixed, via hair transplant, however, not just because of the hairline, but because I have the additional problem of some hair loss on the side of my head, due to Alopecia Areata, which has long since stabilized, but looks awful. In fact, it's the AA that I dislike the most, though I've decided I might as well get the hairline fixed at the same time. If I only had the hairline problem I might not bother with a hair transplant, though it's hard to know that for sure. It's hypothetical, obviously.

I want to say that I really feel for you. You're not the slightest bit weak, or vain, just a normal person who's a tragic victim of, probably, the most underrated trauma in life: significant hairloss in a young man. In fact, your story is uncannily similar to several others on this forum lately!

I've also seen a psychiatrist in the past (not because of hairloss; an even bigger trauma). I'm fine now, though. I wish I could tell you that a psychiatrist is likely to help you, but I'll be honest: I doubt it. Sceptics of psychiatry - like Tom Cruise - argue that psychiatry, and psychiatric medication (which, almost always, means anti-depressants these days) only mask the real problem. This isn't always true, however, e.g. if someone is suffering from an actual psychosis then psychotherapy is essential.

Sadly in your case, though, anti-depressants, for example, would, essentially, be masking the problem. You may feel better if you took them, but it would only be the same principal as numbing the pain with a large Scotch!

My advice is to do one of two things: either accept your hairloss, or get a hair transplant.

If you opt for acceptance, though, you must REALLY accept it, i.e. not give the slightest sh*t about. Reluctantly trying to live with it is not acceptance; it's condemning yourself to a miserable existence.

If I was in your shoes I'd thoroughly research all hair transplant options. You're too young to get one now, but you could think about getting one in, say, 5 years, and work on getting a great career, i.e. to pay for it, in the meantime. I'm not saying you MUST get a hair transplant, but that's what I'd do. Personally, I'd rather spend 5 years working on getting my hair back (even if it was my early twenties), than spend the rest of my twenties, and the whole of my thirties, bald. If you keep yourself in great shape life doesn't end at 30; honestly. And, yes, I believe a WORLD CLASS hair transplant surgeon - I'm probably going to Dr. Feller in NY, myself - could give you a great result. In fact, planning on a hair transplant, and, therefore, knowing the problem isn't permanent, should make this disaster (and, yep, I'll call it what it is) much easier to bear.

I hope this helps. :)

Oh, and I also hope no-one posts a photo of a burns victim, or a link to a spinal cord injury forum, in some crass attempt to make this poor guy feel better. Yes, there are people worse off than him, but that's not his concern right now. He can't do anything to help them, but he can do something to help himself. And photos like that don't 'put things into perspective'. If you want perspective, think about this: 99% of guys his age are out enjoying themselves without having to deal with this sh*t. That's perspective!

iwantperfection

Experienced Member
Reaction score
i think you guys going overboard on this one. dude the big 3 would sort you out i think. so add the minoxidil and see how it goes. your hair looks fine and certainly hair transplant should not even be an option now. maybe at 30. you dont want to be chasing hairloss your whole life by geting hair transplant too early or having a loan to pay because of it. Try a shorter haircut. helps with the wind thing. I cant see a psych helping. Wont bring hair back. Use the money and buy some minoxidil.

good luck

libertine

Reaction score
iwantperfection said:
i think you guys going overboard on this one. dude the big 3 would sort you out i think. so add the minoxidil and see how it goes. your hair looks fine and certainly hair transplant should not even be an option now. maybe at 30. you dont want to be chasing hairloss your whole life by geting hair transplant too early or having a loan to pay because of it. Try a shorter haircut. helps with the wind thing. I cant see a psych helping. Wont bring hair back. Use the money and buy some minoxidil.

good luck

I totally agree with this. I think if this guy wants to do something about his hairloss, then he should be getting on the big three. For all he knows, the big three could work wonders for him, and there'd be no need for an (expensive) hair transplant.

I wouldnt rule out a hair transplant in the future, but for the minute I would say it shouldnt even be considered. The only thing I'd disagree with you on is having his hair cut shorter, I appreciate the wind thing can be a big problem for some people, but at the same time having a bit of length can help to hide how much hair somebody has lost, I keep mine long to hide my temples, but it's personal preference I guess.

ClayShaw

Experienced Member
Reaction score
youngtraveller said:
Hi everyone, I know I probably have the same sad story as hundreds of other members and readers.. I'll share it anyway because I guess it feels good to get it off my chest.

I'm 20 years old and ever since I was 15 / 16 I have noticed I have had a different hair line to the rest of my friends and people my age.. at about 16 it really started to worry me.. my Doctor said I wasnt losing my hair. My mum said it was just in my head and my hairline was a little higher (more receeded) than most, but that was just the way I was and it wouldnt get any worse. For about a year I beleived this was just the case and any time anyone asked about it I said "oh i just have a pretty high hairline.. its just how I am, its always been this way".

Four years on and it's pretty obvious im suffering from male pattern baldness... For the last 3 years or so I have been absolutely paranoid about my hair, and for the last 12 months or so its been even worse... I find myself avoiding the mirror at home, looking directly at the sink when i clean my teeth. Trying to avoid being reminded that im going BALD. It sounds stupid, but it is really ruining my life. Every time I see a loose hair in my bed or on my clothing i'm hit with depression. I feel at 20 years I shouldn't be making trips into the bathroom at work to check that my hair is okay. I shouldn't be afraid to walk down the road because the wind will blow my hair to the side.. I shouldn't feel the need to get out of bed at 3am to stand at the mirror staring at my hair line cursing the world - my friends who don't have to experience what i'm going through - my parents who don't see it as a big deal - god (if there is one.. seriously though if there is one.. how does male pattern baldness fit into his plan????).

I've been on Propecia for about 16 months and it hasn't seemed to help.. It's hard to tell though if it has helped slow it down or if this is the speed at which I was always destined to go bald. I tried Rogaine for a while but that just made my scalp itch and I seemed to scratch out even more hairs in my sleep! - has anyone else experienced this whilst taking Rogaine? I don't know if I should keep on the Propecia or not.. It is expensive as hell and i'm worried that it might be making me put on weight / slowing my metabolism.. (I don't want to be FAT and BALD...) Hair transplants tickle my fancy every now and then, but then i'm reminded of the cost.. And the fact that for the rest of my life I would always feel "fake"?

At this stage I feel lost / at a dead end.. I dont know where to go from here.. should I just man up and shave it all off and hope like hell that I look alright? Should I keep my hair the way it is until eventually... I don't know? It receeds into nothing? I wear my hair fairly long and brush it forward and probably use my hand to inconspicously push my hair back across my temples when the wind or anything else moves it about 100 (conservatively) times a day. My father has the same hair line as me.. and hes 53! tries to tell me that hes had it his whole life but his memory isn't the best and I don't particularily beleive him.. Is it possible to have a hairline as fcked up as mine as part of your genetics?

I suppose coming on here for help / support feels like my last real option. I have an appointment booked with a psychotherapist next week to hopefully help me get through this or work on my self esteem but who knows.
Thanks for reading - I know I have a pretty negative outlook but I guess this is me opening up about my problem.

[attachment=0:1zc338pr]212121.jpg[/attachment:1zc338pr]
[attachment=1:1zc338pr]12121212.jpg[/attachment:1zc338pr]

It's possible, though not likely. It's possible to recede to an NW3ish hairline early on in life and then stay there, although I'm guessing its not common. I would try to find pictures of your dad at your age. Try to figure out if you're following someone in your family's pattern. Mom's dad? Uncles? Someone out there gave you their genes, so... find it.

BoilerRoom

Established Member
Reaction score
Relax. Worrying is not going to do anything but possibly induce a telogen effluvium. You basically have Heath Ledger's hairline; it's not the end of the world. I've basically had Dracula's hairline since the MILLISECOND i hit puberty and it has stayed the same -albeit with diffuse thinning.

Get on the Big 3, and I would advise that the Nizoral be the 2% strength. I would also include the 5% spironolactone cream and try to use twice a day. These treatments take time. For example, one study showed the growth benefits of 2% ketoconazole peaked at 15 months, so be patient.

Psychologically, you might benefit from buzzing your hair down shorter and shorter until you get used to it. Initially, I hated my own buzzcut and now - even if I do get a full head of hair back - probably wouldn't go back to my old hairstyle. It's just more masculine looking and, trust me, unless your picking up club skanks in Long Island, the lack of Norwood 1 covered in gel isn't going to hurt you that bad.

Give it all your best with the treatments. Hey, that's all you can do. There's a lot worse things in life.

Route66

Reaction score
BoilerRoom said:
There's a lot worse things in life.

Oh come on, he deserves better than that.

- There's a lot worse things in life than being unemployed.

- There's a lot worse things in life than not having a girlfriend.

- There's a lot worse things in life than being 50 lbs overweight.

So if he was unemployed, had no girlfriend and was 50 lbs overweight you'd advise him to just relax because there's a lot worse things in life?

This young man is TWENTY years old for f***'s sake. He should be looking forward to a fantastic future, but, at present, he can't even look in the mirror when he's brushing his teeth. He feels disfigured. It doesn't matter whether you think he is; it's not your life. The point is he thinks he is. Yes, it's possible he could have Body Dysmorphia, but I doubt it. That's a psychiatric disorder, which only a qualified individual can diagnose, and much rarer than most people think. It's much, much more likely that he's just a normal person in immense pain because his youth has been prematurely snatched from him.

Making the decision to have a hair transplant in FIVE YEARS (not now), and focus on his studies/career/finances in the meantime, however, would give him a light at the end of the tunnel. If he takes your advice, though, he'll be in the tunnel, and the darkness, for ever.

Besides, a hair transplant is not major surgery. Of course you need to do your research, but they don't drill into your skull, or stop your heart. It's classified as a minor cosmetic procedure, and he may be able to complete it in ONE day! One day that would make the difference between misery and happiness.

Wow, tough choice! :jackit:

ClayShaw

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Route66 said:
Hi mate

My hairline is similar to yours, though I'm 42. I intend to get my hair fixed, via hair transplant, however, not just because of the hairline, but because I have the additional problem of some hair loss on the side of my head, due to Alopecia Areata, which has long since stabilized, but looks awful. In fact, it's the AA that I dislike the most, though I've decided I might as well get the hairline fixed at the same time. If I only had the hairline problem I might not bother with a hair transplant, though it's hard to know that for sure. It's hypothetical, obviously.

I want to say that I really feel for you. You're not the slightest bit weak, or vain, just a normal person who's a tragic victim of, probably, the most underrated trauma in life: significant hairloss in a young man. In fact, your story is uncannily similar to several others on this forum lately!

I've also seen a psychiatrist in the past (not because of hairloss; an even bigger trauma). I'm fine now, though. I wish I could tell you that a psychiatrist is likely to help you, but I'll be honest: I doubt it. Sceptics of psychiatry - like Tom Cruise - argue that psychiatry, and psychiatric medication (which, almost always, means anti-depressants these days) only mask the real problem. This isn't always true, however, e.g. if someone is suffering from an actual psychosis then psychotherapy is essential.

Sadly in your case, though, anti-depressants, for example, would, essentially, be masking the problem. You may feel better if you took them, but it would only be the same principal as numbing the pain with a large Scotch!

My advice is to do one of two things: either accept your hairloss, or get a hair transplant.

If you opt for acceptance, though, you must REALLY accept it, i.e. not give the slightest sh*t about. Reluctantly trying to live with it is not acceptance; it's condemning yourself to a miserable existence.

If I was in your shoes I'd thoroughly research all hair transplant options. You're too young to get one now, but you could think about getting one in, say, 5 years, and work on getting a great career, i.e. to pay for it, in the meantime. I'm not saying you MUST get a hair transplant, but that's what I'd do. Personally, I'd rather spend 5 years working on getting my hair back (even if it was my early twenties), than spend the rest of my twenties, and the whole of my thirties, bald. If you keep yourself in great shape life doesn't end at 30; honestly. And, yes, I believe a WORLD CLASS hair transplant surgeon - I'm probably going to Dr. Feller in NY, myself - could give you a great result. In fact, planning on a hair transplant, and, therefore, knowing the problem isn't permanent, should make this disaster (and, yep, I'll call it what it is) much easier to bear.

I hope this helps. :)

Oh, and I also hope no-one posts a photo of a burns victim, or a link to a spinal cord injury forum, in some crass attempt to make this poor guy feel better. Yes, there are people worse off than him, but that's not his concern right now. He can't do anything to help them, but he can do something to help himself. And photos like that don't 'put things into perspective'. If you want perspective, think about this: 99% of guys his age are out enjoying themselves without having to deal with this sh*t. That's perspective!

Tom Cruise believes that aliens inhabit our bodies and cause all of our problems. He also believes that if you give thousands of dollars to his church, they can rid your body of these aliens.

ClayShaw

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Route66 said:
BoilerRoom said:

So if he was unemployed, had no girlfriend and was 50 lbs overweight you'd advise him to just relax because there's a lot worse things in life?

This young man is TWENTY years old for f*ck's sake. He should be looking forward to a fantastic future, but, at present, he can't even look in the mirror when he's brushing his teeth. He feels disfigured. It doesn't matter whether you think he is; it's not your life. The point is he thinks he is. Yes, it's possible he could have Body Dysmorphia, but I doubt it. That's a psychiatric disorder, which only a qualified individual can diagnose, and much rarer than most people think. It's much, much more likely that he's just a normal person in immense pain because his youth has been prematurely snatched from him.

Making the decision to have a hair transplant in FIVE YEARS (not now), and focus on his studies/career/finances in the meantime, however, would give him a light at the end of the tunnel. If he takes your advice, though, he'll be in the tunnel, and the darkness, for ever.

Besides, a hair transplant is not major surgery. Of course you need to do your research, but they don't drill into your skull, or stop your heart. It's classified as a minor cosmetic procedure, and he may be able to complete it in ONE day! One day that would make the difference between misery and happiness.

Wow, tough choice! :jackit:

The problem with that theory is that even if you get an hair transplant, you still have to be on Propecia for the rest of your life.

BoilerRoom

Established Member
Reaction score

My hair is much worse than his, trust me. I've had a bald spot and diffuse thinning since FU***** High School. I'm not some Norwood 2 on here trying to give advice.

He is clearly developing BDD. Trust me, I've been there.

I wouldn't tell him to relax over things he can control, like being overweight. I'm telling to get on as many treatments he can, DEAL WITH IT, and take solace in the fact that you did everything you could to prevent it.

I have pretty advanced hair loss for my age and have ruined at least 2 potential relationships with great girls because I was an insecure, miserable bastard. Not every girl is disgusted with hair loss even though you may be disgusted with it yourself. Trust me.

Tyler_Durden

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey mate,
has your hairline changed much in the time you have been on Propecia?

Death

Reaction score
I say throw at it all you can...what do you have to lose?

I know your current situation blows

but here some options

shave

become one of those guys who wears bennies all the time

try every treatment possible ( lots of money)

or all the above

dude heres the truth.....your almost at a point where even if you used treatments that work...i think you still may not be happy with results....with guys our age we want Norwood 0- 2 which i think you may not be able to obtian and my advice would be to live life....make money... travel the world or become an MMA fighter and kick anyones *** who makes fun of you...youll get chicks...one way or another...hair is not the only route

Route66

Reaction score
This is my last message on this thread, as I can't really add much more to my argument:

Most men on this forum are in their early twenties, and most of them resolve to accept their hair loss, rather than opting for a hair transplant.

Those who can't accept it, and opt for a hair transplant, aren't weak, and they don't have BDD (which, once again, is a RARE psychiatric disorder). Maybe vanity comes into it a bit, but almost everybody is vain to some degree. No, these young men are normal people who simply don't want to spend the best years of their lives with sh*t hair; not just because of women, but also because of confidence/self-esteem/general happiness, etc. It's not just women who, naturally, want to look good during their 'golden years'!

To those young guys who choose to try to accept their hair loss:

- Firstly, this decision doesn't make you strong, or more of a man

- Secondly, I hope you FULLY appreciate what you're asking of yourselves. You're on the brink of your peak years, and you've decided that you're going to spend those looking old and ugly (or, at least, older and uglier than you would be with hair). That's a BIG decision. I think one of the reasons guys make this decision is because they can't take the pain anymore. They've been 'crying' about their hair since their mid-teens, and, emotionally, they need a break. So they reach a point where they say 'what the f***'; shave it off, and focus on other things. Great, right?

Well, no, actually. The problem is that the rest of the world doesn't realize all this. They just see an ugly, old, bald guy. And that's what the mirror will show you too, EVERY f*****g day, FOR EVER. Sadly, whilst some men who decide to shave do eventually get over hair loss, many don't. In fact, there are many examples, on this forum, of guys who create a thread saying something like 'I've decided to accept my hair loss, f*** male pattern baldness. I've finally shaved it, and I'm happy!' Then, six months, later they're suicidal. I also have bald friends who've said similar things. They want an escape from their torture so badly, that they fool themselves into thinking that there's an easy way out, without the hassle, and the expense, of having a hair transplant. For many, though, there isn't. That's why my VERY strong advice to a 20 year-old with significant hair loss is to get that hair transplant over with before you're 25 (and work on your career in the meantime), and then live life as it's meant to be lived; without having to deal with this crap!

JonJon

Reaction score
Route66 said:
This is my last message on this thread, as I can't really add much more to my argument:

Most men on this forum are in their early twenties, and most of them resolve to accept their hair loss, rather than opting for a hair transplant.

Those who can't accept it, and opt for a hair transplant, aren't weak, and they don't have BDD (which, once again, is a RARE psychiatric disorder). Maybe vanity comes into it a bit, but almost everybody is vain to some degree. No, these young men are normal people who simply don't want to spend the best years of their lives with sh*t hair; not just because of women, but also because of confidence/self-esteem/general happiness, etc. It's not just women who, naturally, want to look good during their 'golden years'!

- Secondly, I hope you FULLY appreciate what you're asking of yourselves. You're on the brink of your peak years, and you've decided that you're going to spend those looking old and ugly (or, at least, older and uglier than you would be with hair). That's a BIG decision. I think one of the reasons guys make this decision is because they can't take the pain anymore. They've been 'crying' about their hair since their mid-teens, and, emotionally, they need a break. So they reach a point where they say 'what the f*ck'; shave it off, and focus on other things. Great, right?

Well, no, actually. The problem is that the rest of the world doesn't realize all this. They just see an ugly, old, bald guy. And that's what the mirror will show you too, EVERY f****ing day, FOR EVER. Sadly, whilst some men who decide to shave do eventually get over hair loss, many don't. In fact, there are many examples, on this forum, of guys who create a thread saying something like 'I've decided to accept my hair loss, f*ck male pattern baldness. I've finally shaved it, and I'm happy!' Then, six months, later they're suicidal. I also have bald friends who've said similar things. They want an escape from their torture so badly, that they fool themselves into thinking that there's an easy way out, without the hassle, and the expense, of having a hair transplant. For many, though, there isn't. That's why my VERY strong advice to a 20 year-old with significant hair loss is to get that hair transplant over with before you're 25 (and work on your career in the meantime), and then live life as it's meant to be lived; without having to deal with this crap!

No good hair transplant doctor will do an hair transplant on someone under 25. Unless they are fully capable of mapping out the balding...they won't do it. Since think about it...you get a hair transplant at 20 and u continue balding...boy will that look ridiculous lol.

BoilerRoom

Established Member
Reaction score
Route66 said:

- Secondly, I hope you FULLY appreciate what you're asking of yourselves. You're on the brink of your peak years, and you've decided that you're going to spend those looking old and ugly (or, at least, older and uglier than you would be with hair). That's a BIG decision. I think one of the reasons guys make this decision is because they can't take the pain anymore. They've been 'crying' about their hair since their mid-teens, and, emotionally, they need a break. So they reach a point where they say 'what the f*ck'; shave it off, and focus on other things. Great, right?

Well, no, actually. The problem is that the rest of the world doesn't realize all this. They just see an ugly, old, bald guy. And that's what the mirror will show you too, EVERY f****ing day, FOR EVER. Sadly, whilst some men who decide to shave do eventually get over hair loss, many don't. In fact, there are many examples, on this forum, of guys who create a thread saying something like 'I've decided to accept my hair loss, f*ck male pattern baldness. I've finally shaved it, and I'm happy!' Then, six months, later they're suicidal. I also have bald friends who've said similar things. They want an escape from their torture so badly, that they fool themselves into thinking that there's an easy way out, without the hassle, and the expense, of having a hair transplant. For many, though, there isn't. That's why my VERY strong advice to a 20 year-old with significant hair loss is to get that hair transplant over with before you're 25 (and work on your career in the meantime), and then live life as it's meant to be lived; without having to deal with this crap!

You're a miserable fuc*.

Flavio

Established Member
Reaction score
youngtraveller said:
[...] It sounds stupid, but it is really ruining my life. [...]

It's not stupid at all, we've all been there before and we know how you feel.

My advice is don't give up on Propecia and make sure you are getting the genuine brand drug (not some generic crap). If money is a problem, buy Proscar and cut it into 4ths. And if you really believe it's not working anymore, then dutasteride seems to be the next logical step - side effects could be unpleasant, though. Do your research carefully, talk to your doctor and find out what's best for you.

Don't even think of having a hair transplant. It's a drastic surgery and you're way too young for that.

You also mentioned that minoxidil irritates your scalp, so try the foam instead. I still use the liquid (the foam is not yet available in my country), but everyone speaks wonders of the foam.

You still have a lot of hair, so there's no reason to feel depressed, my friend. Good luck and keep us posted!