YoungAndThin's Story (Pics Included)

YoungAndThin

Established Member
Reaction score
**UPDATE ON PAGE 2 & 3**

Hello everyone I've been lurking on these forums for a couple months now and I've probably read every single story on the Tell Your Story forum. This site has given me a wealth of information about treatments and what not and I am very grateful for that.

First a little background. I'm a 20 year old asian male and male pattern baldness has just let loose on me with no mercy for the past couple months. Like many of you when I first noticed my loss I was in denial and kept putting it off to stress from school or from smoking too much or whatever. But as time went on I realized that I indeed had male pattern baldness.

I began to lose my hair around the end of October 2004. My loss is mainly situated on my crown and vertex area. My hairline is holding strong and I hope it continues to do so.

Some family history. My dad has some recession, I'd say he is around Norwood 2 or 2.5 at the worst but he is 53 years old and I guess that comes with age. My maternal grandfather was almost slick bald when he died at 80 years old but he didn't start to lose his hair until he was in his early to mid 50's. All my uncles and cousins on my mothers side have full heads of hair. Uncles on my father's side do have some recession but are nowhere near bald. It really sucks how genetics can skip a generation and then rear it's ugly head on you.I thought I would always follow the pattern of my family but I guess I was wrong.

I tend to lose most of my hair in the shower, while shampooing my hair and drying it off afterwards. I'd say I lose around 20 or 30 hairs a day like this. I actually dread having to take a shower now because I know I"ll end up with a ton of hair on my hands and towel. There's rarely hair on my pillow when I wake up, and if there is, it's only one or two.

To start losing hair so early in life is really traumatizing and depressing. At the rate that I'm going at I will be bald by the time I'm 25. This has really affected me in alot of ways. I no longer want to go out with friends anymore, and if I do it's only at night and in dark places. I just push through the day and never get any enjoyment out of it. I just go to school, do my thing and go straight home. Even at those rare moments when I actually am happy, a little picture goes off in my head of me being slick bald and I'm back to being depressed again. Hairloss is always on my mind, I find myself checking out the hair of other guys on the street and at school, gauging on how I will look like in the near future. I just wish I could go back to my hair from 6 months ago.

I'm quite suprised that no one has noticed my loss yet. I think it's pretty obvious but I guess it takes a baldie to know a baldie.

I went to see my family doctor about it a few weeks ago and he admittedly gold me he didn't know too much about hair loss and referred me to a dermatologist. I'm going to make an appointment soon and ask him about propecia. I think I will go with propecia and nizoral for now and hold off on the minoxidil and see if the propecia can stabilize the loss. I heard propecia works the best on the crown and top areas so hopefully it will work for me.

Pics: were taken right after I got out of the shower. First pic is with wet hair and second is with dried hair. It's funny that the pic with dried hair looks so much worse than the one with wet hair.

(click on the link for the picture.)

http://img110.echo.cx/img110/2533/p31900971fm.jpg

Well thanks for reading my story. Sorry it's so long. Any suggestions on regimen or treatments would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.[/url]

pbz

Established Member
Reaction score
Your vertex looks almost exactly like my vertex did a year ago. Propecia sounds like a good idea. Don't be put off by all the scare-threads.

socks

Experienced Member
Reaction score
YoungAndThin said:
Any suggestions on regimen or treatments would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

First, focus on what you do have *not* what you dont have. You say you have a strong hairline and that makes for a much better prognosis! Current treatments tend to have a much greater success in the crown then up front.

Second, hair that has only recently receded has a better chance of being "helped" then hair that has been barren for yrs.

As far as treatments I personally feel you are an excellent candidate for Finasteride and minoxidil. Providing that Mother Nature doesnt plan on dropping a huge male pattern baldness bomb on you, I would make a educated guess that within 1 - 2 yrs on treatments your condition will improve to such a point no one would ever suspect you had any hairloss.

I would also suggest you throw in Nizoral 2% shampoo every 2nd - 3rd day. You *will* have to give treatments time to work as results rarely become overtly obvious until 6months to over 1yrs.

Make sure to take monthly digital cam pics in the same lighting with roughly the same hair cut (and length).

Good luck!

YoungAndThin

Established Member
Reaction score
hey thanks for your replies.

Socks, I've read some of your old posts and noticed that you've had great success with Propecia and Nizoral. I've also seen some of your pictures and your results are great.

Can I ask you where did the majority of your hair loss take place?

And how long did it take treatments to work for you?

socks

Experienced Member
Reaction score
YoungAndThin said:
I've also seen some of your pictures and your results are great.

Thank you!

YoungAndThin said:
Can I ask you where did the majority of your hair loss take place?

I experienced rapid thinning throughout my entire scalp. Unlike typical male pattern baldness where men get recession (aka bald spots) my hair diameter shrunk. So while coverage and density stayed around the same more and more scalp became visible and hair styles I use to wear no longer were possible.

As I said, this happened throughout my entire scalp *but* my front got hit the hardest. I developed a "notch" of distinguished thinning in the front middle behind my hairline.

My temples (especially my right) became a sickly looking light blonde (normal hair color is med. brown) that almost had zero growth... It would just stay bearly long enough to be visable but wouldnt grow much longer.

YoungAndThin said:
And how long did it take treatments to work for you?

For me it was VERY slowing going at first. When I got on treatments in Nov/Dec of 2003 I was shedding like mad. Hair was coming out left and right and, while visiting my parents, my mom made the comment, "I know what room you were in by following the trail of your hair".

Within a week or two my bathroom floor would have hair all over the floor in the corners and I always saw hair laying on the sink...

After a few weeks on just Finasteride my shed was reduced by half... After about 6 months on Finasteride my hair still seemed to be getting worse. I added both Nizoral 2% and Zix (a homemade topical 5ar inhibitor which consisted of B6 and Zinc). Within two months my hair started to improve in which time I dropped Zix and just kept the finasteride and nizoral.

By my 8th month my hair continued to slowly improve... Every few weeks my hair felt a little stronger and looked a little healthier and I was able to do more and more with it (as far as styling my hair was concerned).

It wasnt until the 12th - 13th month that I really went, "wow, my hair looked much better".

I'm in month 14 now and my hair, while thinner then it was before I started to lose hair, looks good. I can wear it back, wash it every other day, and even wear hats and not have to worry when I take it off my hair will look like ***.

So, Bottom Line is it took about 8 months before results became visible and almost 12 - 13 before such results provided a real improvement from where I started.

Having said all of that, I think I should point out that while 60% of men on Finasteride (over 2yrs) and 30% - 48% of men on Minoxidil have actual hair regrowth/thickening many men may also have only limited regrowth/thickening or none at all... Some men simply maintain what they had when they started treatments and nothing more.

Even if the latter is the case I still call that a great success story. A small hair transplant "touch-up" shouldnt be a big deal for most men... However, once past a NW5 there is little hope for getting "full coverage" and the expense of such procedures become extremely expensive.

I personally think you have an excellent chance for regrowth/thickening based on your age, location of the receding, the fact that is isnt "major", and that it is relatively recent. IMO, now is the time to do something about your situation while the numbers are in your favor.

19andbald

Reaction score
Damn man i'm in the same boat as you and I'm only 19. I started taking Fincar a few months back and praying that it will work wonders. I have a couple of pics but don't exactly know how to post them. If you want to start out on meds, i suggest Finasteride first. I'd already tried minoxidil and it's a pain it the ***. Big mess and greasy as hell, imagine doing that twice a day. I quit minoxidil after it gave me a bad shed on my frontal hairline. If you want some good prices on finasteride jsut let me know, I've found some legit sites with good prices on finasteride.[/img]

doggfather

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey YoungAndThin,
I can totally relate with what you said since I am Asian as well (Korean to be exact) except I'm five years older than you and have a receding hairline than crown loss which I consider worse. I think you'll be fine in the long run. Since you are going to take Propecia may I suggest that you get a blood test before you take Propecia. Check for Testosterone, Estrogen and AST/ALT (liver enzyme) levels just to get a reference to where you were before you started taking Propecia.

b4itstoolate

Reaction score
I've got a question for sox. I've been on minoxidil for years now with minimal results. My problem was originaly on my frontal hairline. Now I have thinning over the entire top of my head. Now I use the minoxidil on the top as well (pain in the ***). I started proscar just weeks ago. If I stop the minoxidil, and continue with just the proscar, do a loose what I have gained w/ minoxidil. I still have a couple of months worth of minoxidil, but I would like to discontinue use when I'm out if possible.

thanks.

nccolas

Reaction score
Receding Hairline at 23.

Hello Everyone,

There is some great info on this site. I have been receding since about 16 and I would say that I am at a Norwood 2 or in the middle of 3. I have been taking finasteride for 6 months and recently took dutasteride for 14 days. I experienced major shedding and stopped to go back to finasteride. I am also using a topical spray with 15% min, retin-a and tretinoin. Shoud I try the dutasteride or stick with the finasteride? Has anyone else had the same experience. Does dutasteride work well in the hairline?

Any response is welcome. Thanks in advance!

socks

Experienced Member
Reaction score
b4itstoolate said:
I've got a question for sox. I've been on minoxidil for years now with minimal results. My problem was originaly on my frontal hairline. Now I have thinning over the entire top of my head. Now I use the minoxidil on the top as well (pain in the ***). I started proscar just weeks ago. If I stop the minoxidil, and continue with just the proscar, do a loose what I have gained w/ minoxidil. I still have a couple of months worth of minoxidil, but I would like to discontinue use when I'm out if possible.

First and foremost, nothing *but* minoxidil can maintain minoxidil's results. The reason is this:

Finasteride works by inhibiting the Type II 5ar from converting testosterone into DHT. With much less of this enzyme converting testosterone into DHT your hair is given a "reprieve" and the male pattern baldness process is either halted or slowed (if you're a responder that is).

With Minoxidil, the process is different. Minoxidil doesnt inhibit the 5ar enzyme nor does it affect your DHT levels in any way. Minoxidil works by *artificially* augmenting your hair (making it thicker), stimulating dormant hair follicles to grow, and extending your hair's growing phase.

Think of minoxidil as a type of thickening shampoo... The results can be real but are more cosmetic. When you stop using minoxidil the results fade away just like if you were to stop using a thickening shampoo.

So, if you stop minoxidil any hair affected by minoxidil will shed over the course of several weeks. Initially your hair will look worse then it ever has due to the fact it can take the shed hair 90days to start growing again. However, once you get past that your hair will resemble what it would have if you never used minoxidil in the first place.

socks

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Re: Receding Hairline at 23.

nccolas said:
Shoud I try the dutasteride or stick with the finasteride? Has anyone else had the same experience. Does dutasteride work well in the hairline?

Dutasteride (Avodart) should be your *last* resort. Yes, the results can be a bit better with Dutasteride VS Finasteride. However, DHT is an important androgen that has many functions throughout your body. You should not inhibit 98% of all your DHT just because.

Finasteride works for 80% of men yet leaves your DHT levels at 65%. It should be noted that there are *two* types of enzymes that convert testosterone into DHT. Type I and Type II 5ar.

Finasteride inhibits 85% of the Type II enzyme which results in an overall DHT reduction of 65%. The Type I enzyme does not seem to play a major role in male pattern baldness as specific Type I 5ar inhibitors (such as MK386) had no effect on male pattern baldness. The enzyme that matters is the Type II 5ar. Blocking the Type I 5ar might not be a good idea to do for many men (especially men under 40).

The benefits from Dutasteride likely comes from its more complete inhibition of the Type II 5ar not its effect on the Type I 5ar. However, as mentioned above, inhibiting 85% of the Type II 5ar is sufficient in most men and the extra 12% - 13% inhibition by Dutasteride is usually not critical for stopping or slowing male pattern baldness.

An interesting article to read in regard to the importance of DHT can be found here: Facts and Myths about DHT

YoungAndThin

Established Member
Reaction score
Reading all your replies are pretty encouraging. I feel a little better knowing I'm not the only young guy out there having to deal with this.

But it still sucks to be balding at such a young age when all your friends and relatives have all their hair. I sit awake in bed at night and just wonder why did I have to be the few that had their male pattern baldness start at such a young age.

I wasn't supposed to go through this. At least not for another 15 to 20 years. and if I was 40 and balding I probably could not give two shits about it. But 20?!? Now that's harsh.

ah man I've gotta get this out of my mind.

dan65

Reaction score
hey youngandthin, i know what you mean, i am 22 and thinning, really not too bad yet, but it still sucks. i am sure that treatments will at least delay the process until cloning becomes a reality, thus i keep my worrying to a minimum. another thing that might make you feel better is that since i noticed i was thinning, i noticed that a LOT of people my age are thinning, some of course are not and that is just their good fortune, but just get on a regimen with finasteride and minoxidil and you should be ok for a long time. good luck

b4itstoolate

Reaction score
thanks sox. I've decided to stop the minoxidil use, and continue with 1/4 of a 5mg. proscar a day and use 1% nizoral every 2 or 3 days. My hair is not terrible yet, but my frontal hairline is getting worse and I do notice some thinning areas on the top & crown of my head. The daily minoxidil use was getting very old. It was tough to style my hair after applying the minoxidil, and who wants to have to use that sh*t forever. Not to mention it did embarrass me to have to apply when I had a girlfriend living with me. I'd rather take a pill daily.

Ps. best of luck youngandthin. we'll beat this balding sh*t together! This site has bean a great help.

unluckystat

Reaction score
YoungAndThin said:
Reading all your replies are pretty encouraging. I feel a little better knowing I'm not the only young guy out there having to deal with this.

But it still sucks to be balding at such a young age when all your friends and relatives have all their hair. I sit awake in bed at night and just wonder why did I have to be the few that had their male pattern baldness start at such a young age.

I wasn't supposed to go through this. At least not for another 15 to 20 years. and if I was 40 and balding I probably could not give two shits about it. But 20?!? Now that's harsh.

ah man I've gotta get this out of my mind.

I hear you, man. I'm 19 and I think I've been losing hair for about 8 months now. I just started college and am enjoying this lifestyle but I don't think I'll be able to go to parties anymore once my hair loss picks up. I'm terrified that my hair loss will not be slowed down by any treatment and that I will have to adjust to being bald while I am in the prime of my life.

YoungAndThin

Established Member
Reaction score
So I finally had my long awaited dermatologist appointment today. My derm was a very kind and understanding woman who told me my pattern of thinning defineately looked like male pattern baldness.

I guess she just confirmed what I suspected all along. After seeing the dejected look my face she told me all is not lost. She highly recommended propecia and even told me her son and many of his friends were on the drug with very good results. She also told me her husband, who is a hair restoration surgeon prescribs alot of propecia to his patients to help them maintain their hair. She wrote me a script for a year's worth of the propecia and told me to make another appointment in 6 months to check on my progress.

Some interesting things she told me. She noticed that within the past 9 or 10 years she has seen a huge jump in the number of young men in their late teens to early twenties coming in to see her about hair loss. She told me she can't put her finger on the reason but stated it could be because of all the additives in today's food, higher stress level or environmental factors.

Well after the appointment I feel a little relieved that I took some action and am finally going to do something about my hairloss. It still sucks to lose hair so young but I'm gonna fight male pattern baldness down to the last hair. I'll take some pictures when I pop my first pill and post for all to see.

One more thing, does anyone know how much brand name propecia cost and whether my insurance company will cover it? I live in Canada by the way.

thanks.

Johnny24601

Experienced Member
Reaction score
re:

Good luck, I have been on finasteride for a few months (with minoxidil) and I think my hair looks better, i am 25.
Propecia. is never covered by insurance in the U.S., not sure on canada but it is very very doubtful. It costs anywhere from $35-$55 U.S. for a one month supply.

reyn

Reaction score
In the US, Costco sells Propecia for $50 for 30 tablets. Thats the lowest price I have found in reputable brick and mortar outlets.

WithTheLidOff

Established Member
Reaction score
hey young..i just looked at your pics and REALLY, in all seriosuness it doesnt look too bad at all. UNless you hang out at places where people will stand right over you and shine a light on your head, they wont notice. Judging by your family history and your pictures, it looks as if you'll have a lot of coverage for most of your life. If it helps...i thought i was going to be a NW7 by the time i was 25 the way I was going, but my hair is actually better than it was when i was 23 (im 27.) So maybe the worst is behind you.
I look back at pictures of myself when I thought i was bald (it was all in my head) and i'm like "what the hell was I thinking?? ANyways..good luck and enjoy your hair cause it really isnt that bad.

socks

Experienced Member
Reaction score
YoungAndThin,

Propecia and Proscar are exactly the same thing except for the dose of finasteride per pill. Unless you dont care about spending the extra $$$ for nothing I highly suggest you use Proscar over Propecia. Just cut the Proscar up in 1/4ths for a 1.25mg dose and take it every day or every other day.

One bottle of 1mg Propecia cost about $50 - $60 USD and last 30 days. One bottle of Proscar can cost $90 USD but last for 3 - 6 months costing $15 - $30 USD a month...

Either get your doctor to write you a prescription for Proscar or you can buy brandname Proscar from the Internet for as low as $57 USD. You can PM me if you want the link.

Good luck man :)