young men in 20's with hairloss....

tonyg

Reaction score
what can our elders recommend? I for one have tryed some ointments...Revivogen...with not too much results...then i tryed Minoxidil which gave me rapid heart beat....i was taking pills saw palmetto and they gave me a decrease in sex drive.... I use light shampoos like Progain and NANO and Nizoral....I am thinking about getting on Minoxidil again to see if i get the same side affects...I am nervous about trying to get on Propecia being that i am young and the side effects wont be too good for a person my age....what suggestions or other treatments can the more educated recommend...?

Stingray

Reaction score
Was the rapid heart beat bad? Because it does tend to happen sometimes at the beginning. If it was just mild, then that will probably go away with continued use. If it's alarming then I wouldn't recommend even trying it. Hmmm. Have you tried topical spironolactone? You seem to be a good candidate for topical anti-androgens, because you are affected by them orally. Give it a shot.

Diddy

Established Member
Reaction score
personally i'd shy away from a drug that gives me a rapid heartbeat...especially if one is expected to stay on it for an indefinate period of time...

Personally spironolactone is a viable option, it is a topical dht inhibitor, which also has its share of side effects. Do a search for "spironolactone" in this forum.
Other then that i dunno, really there are only a hand full of solid treatments.

bombscience

Reaction score
How long wrere you on revivogen for?

spironolactone:

Main Purpose: Long term hair maintenance, possible regrowth. Part of many regimens.

Overview: The primary function of this treatment is to locally block the androgen receptor site where DHT typically binds to the follicle, causing hair degradation. Because of this, it is a great topical treatment to use in conjunction with Propecia and/or Minoxidil.

zak84

Established Member
Reaction score
I've taken propecia for 10 months and I'm 19, the side effects have not bothered me what so ever. the problem with things like revivogen, nano, spironolactone, is that while theoretically, they should help, not enough research is invovled. Your best bet is to have a dht inhibitor in combintation with a growth stimulate. right now rogaine is the best way to go with that, but it's a bit of a pain, id be willing to try the laser comb

tonyg

Reaction score
i was on revivogen for about a year..that laser comb is 645 bucks...thats a big chunk of money for something that isnt FDA approved...i have to check out spironolactone..so u guys are recommending going on spironolactone and minoxidil? If the minoxidil gives me rapid heart beat again then maybe i have to look into propecia...but i saw that saw palmetto gave me a decrease in sexual desire i can imagine what propecia would do

Jimmy5000

Reaction score
I had a bad reaction to minoxidil when I first tried it. I started off right away with 5% twice per day. After about a week, I was swollen all over my hands and feet, I got headaches, and had a fever. It was definitely because of the minoxidil and I quit right away. It only took about a day and a half for the symptoms to completely go away. This was all about a year ago.

I started using 2% minoxidil about 4 months ago, but only once per day. About a month ago, I started using it twice per day and I'll soon go up to the 5%. I'm going to do 2% in the morning and 5% at night to start. The point of my story is that I think gradually introducing minoxidil into your routine will dramatically decrease your chances of having a bad reaction. I haven't had any problems thus far with using the gradual stepped up approach.

tonyg

Reaction score
i guess i will try that..i started using 5% once a day and thats when problems started..maybe start with 2 % once a day then up it to 5 once a day then gradualy 5 % twice a day... when do u put it on..i was thinking of starting to put it in at night...but will it get on pillow then if i put my face on it get on my face...then the next morning i should wash it out before i style my hair?..do u use spironolactone as well..and what is your routine for that?

Jimmy5000

Reaction score
I just started my routine, so I'm no expert either by any means. I'm thinking this is going to be my routine for the next year.

AM
1. Rinse out hair... don't wash.
2. Apply styling products. Wait to dry.
3. Apply Minoxidil.

PM
1. Wash hair. Revivogen Shampoo (T/Sal on third day). Wait to dry.
2. Apply Folligen. Wait 30 minutes.
3. Apply Minoxidil. Wait 30 minutes.
3. Apply Revivogen. Wait 30 minutes.
4. Take Biotin. Sleep.

I'm going to try this for a year I think like I said. After that, I'll consider making changes by adding or subtracting stuff. Right now I'm trying to get the topical stuff in my routine before I take something like propecia or avodart. Those should be easy enough to work into a routine because its only a matter of taking a pill.

pharoh

Established Member
Reaction score
Myabe I shouldn't jump in and answer this since I'm new, but I'm sure I've done enough research to tell the difference...in short no, they are not the same as minoxidil.

Biotin is a mineral/vitamin type thing which helps the growth of nails/skin/hair, so theoretically it could do some good for your hair. I take vitamin B Complex which contains Biotin.

Folligen is a product which contains copper peptides - which are supposed to help with regrowth by awakening dormant folicles type thing.

I'm sure thats more-or-less right, but sure someone else can clarify :)

zak84

Established Member
Reaction score
let me clear this rumor, the FDA approved the laser comb for make hair denser, which more than you can say for anything other than minoxidil or finasteride/duta, also, it's in it's final year of testing, may surgeons use the laser comb because they've had good results

anyone who knows me on this forum knows that i am the last one to buy into non proven sh*t, but the laser comb is a much better investment than anything other propecia/avodart

Pazzna

Reaction score
tonyg said:
then i tryed Minoxidil which gave me rapid heart beat.....?

Man; I don't understand..... how does a topical application like minoxidil lotion cause a "rapid heartbeat"? Is that right?

Forgive me if I'm just being ignorant - but I don't understand how it does that. does it get into the blood stream or something?

P. :shock:

Rage

Established Member
Reaction score
its original use was for high blood pressure i think. And yes, it does enter the blood stream!

silkeysmooth

Established Member
Reaction score
zak, have you bought hte lasercomb yet? People bash on its 650 price tag, but when you think about it, its a one-time purchase. Hell, at 50 a month, propecia is 600 for a year!!! Good thing they have proscar...

Anyway, hair thickening and even just the possibility of regrowth might cause me to buy this thing, but i want to see the FDA studies for its hair thickening abilities. That would suck to buy it, and find out it only increases hair diameter an average of 8%....

elguapo

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Listen to me man. Get on finasteride. I, too, was afraid to pop the pill. But I did so practically expecting the side. So I found an endochronologist to verify I didn't have gynochomastia. And I did lose my libido for a few days, but that was almost refreshing, and soon went away. Dude, take finasteride. It was a miracle to go from losing over 50 hairs on my pillow alone every night, to losing 2 or 3.

Do whatever you have to do to convince yourself that you are monitoring the side affects. Measure your damn hips if you have to to verify they aren't getting wider like a chick's hips. Whatever. Just take finasteride. You won't regret it.

Austin:316

Established Member
Reaction score
I don't see any problem with reviving dead threads. In fact I think it's a good idea. There are something like 1,800 pages containing 15 or 16 years of wisdom so why not hark back every once in a while to dig up some buried gem of advice that might help people of the present.