Young man depressed :(

Reaction score
Hi fellows.

I'm an 18 year old male who recently started balding.

Since I was 15 I've been worried about me loosing my hair, my dad is bald, his dad wasn't. I always had the concern of going bald but had hopes that it skipped me because my grandad wasn't bald. Unfortunately this is not the case, my entire scalp has thinned out, much more at the hair line (still have a decent hairline though, not visible that I'm balding to others... yet)
I've noticed that I'm starting to shed a lot, it's not terminal hairs just small thin light hairs, I can even feel them falling from my head when they land on my face, it's kinda itchy feeling.. I also see a lot of thin hairs mixed with thick hairs allover my scalp, not on the back and sides. My hairline is pretty much fine thin hairs (still with color), getting thinner everyday it's rapid hairloss! It's really destroying my everyday life!

I've been reading peoples stories also before I was going bald to prepare myself and learned that the key in treatment is catching it early which I had done now. My hair has always been very thick with a nice hairline so it really is depressing because my hair was what attracted girls, my self esteem is going down and down and I'm only 18! The hair loss has lead me out in abusive use of marijuana to just forget it, now you're properly thinking what I'm whining over, it's because it's going very fast and the same thing happened to my dad his hair loss was so bad already at 20 that he had do the shave, I'm afraid I only have very few years with hair back :(((( And the worst part I don't speak with my dad anymore so I've been inherited something from a dad I don't even like which makes it even worse.

I have a question for you guys, can I treat my hairloss whitout propecia now that I caught it so early? And if not will propecia mess with my hormones due to my age? I'm thinking is DHT important to a guy my age?

Sorry for my english I'm from Denmark. Hope it was understandable

- - - Updated - - -

Maybe I should say I'm a Norwood 1-1,5 and can feel all my scalp hair feels thinner than my backs and side which is incredible thick like my scalp hair was just a year ago!
my hairline is quite uneven and not straight as it was just a year ago! :(((, so it's still the very beginning, any advice for me to keep that hair?

Last edited:

isishearmyplea

Experienced Member
Reaction score
use some topical anti androgen for an year or two, i have read about some people who took finasteride at 20 21 and were just fine, but i ll tell you one thing, no matter what the stats say at the end of the day its your body and the drug. i dont want to suggest finasteride to you but sadly that is all we have at the moment. or maybe you can try experimental stuff like RU or CB. for the time being at least use the two from big three (minoxidil and nizoral) and add a topical AA & try not think about it(i know its hard).
best of luck!

Reaction score
Do you think I can keep my hair with just sticking to nizoral, and minoxidil? And then when I get 20 add finansteride to my regimen?

Btw thanks for reply!

I.D WALKER

Reaction score
I regret to tell you Teen but it is next to impossible to predict how you will respond (+/-) to any medication. You are going to have to consistently apply minoxidil. for six months to a year at least before you can make a reliable judgement. For the sake of your overall health, I think you are smart for waiting with the finasteride. and continuing the use of minoxidil. and nizoral. Can I assume you've seen a qualified physician? If not, please do so asap. Be candid with him/her. Maybe topical finasteride. could be a safer alternative. Be patient and positive. All the best.

- - - Updated - - -

BTW, Your English is wonderful. Mine could use some help:).
I regret to tell you Teen but it is next to impossible to predict how you will respond (+/-) to any medication. You are going to have to consistently apply minoxidil. for six months to a year at least before you can make a reliable judgement. For the sake of your overall health, I think you are smart for waiting with the finasteride. and continuing the use of minoxidil. and nizoral. Can I assume you've seen a qualified physician? If not, please do so asap. Be candid with him/her. Maybe topical finasteride. could be a safer alternative. Be patient and positive. All the best.

Reaction score
Questions

- - - Updated - - -

BTW, Your English is wonderful. Mine could use some help:).

First of all thanks for the reply!

I'll have a meeting with a physician soon, since I am new in all this stuff I have some questions..
How many times will I have to use the nizoral on a weekly basic, and how many times with the minoxidil? And can it be applied while my hair is short almost medium long, or will I have to do a buzzcut?:)
And thanks for liking my english :jump: