You will never get your previous density back

thylax

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Even now, after 2 hair transplant's in the temples and besides being very happy with the result, 6 months after my second hair transplant, my density in the temples is far away than that in the sides. I believe that, even if you have a 3rd hair transplant, your density will be significantly less if you look very close on your scalp. hair transplant is surely the best way to gain ground and happiness, but a "full head of hair" density will never be a fact even in the most extreme case. However, we must be happy because hair transplant's are much better than they were 15-20 years ago.

Boondock

Reaction score
Good post. hair transplants can give full density for NW2s, and 3s. NW4s and even 5s can get good density, but it will usually look like thin hair. NW6+ will have to be very lucky to get a good result.

It's an imperfect solution, which is why it's important to have modest expectations.

GeminiX

Reaction score
So very true, even in my case where I've had excellent response to medication and a couple of hair transplant's (and probably a third), my hair has no where near the density I had before going bald.

Sure, cosmetically it looks great and it's not obvious to anyone how thin my hair is, but after recently checking it carefully and getting some assistance from my hair dresser it's probably not even 50% of what it was.

The good news of course, that even 30% density can look cosmetically perfect if you don't mind spending some time working with it and choosing appropriate styles.

Boondock

Reaction score
^ That's a good point. Cosmetically it will often look fine - after all, plenty of people have naturally thin fair. The people who will be dissatisfied will be those with high expectations of reclaiming their 'wall of hair' of their teens.

GeminiX

Reaction score
Crikey, relax buddy; no need to go all Rita Hayworth.

I have *very* fine hair, but was able to achieve *cosmetically* passable results less than a year or two after starting Finasteride, that was about 30% density; just go and look at my photos from the first couple of years for proof.

Sure, if any one looked closely it would be easy to see how thin it was, but I'm talking about cosmetics here.

Add some Nanaogen (or similar) and style it with some thought and no-one will notice anything is amiss with your hair and unless you live with chimps, no one is going to stop to look closely.

Now look at my hairline and temples, they were perfectly passable with just 1000 grafts, I doubt that is even 30% of the original density but it was enough to not stand out; again cosmetically perfect.

s.a.f

Reaction score
A hair transplant surgeoen places grafts with the effect of maximum coverage in mind, nature does'nt. Also its been shown that by the time most people notice they're losing hair they've already lost one third of it.

s.a.f

Reaction score
dudemon said:
In fact low density = "obvious hair transplant" no matter who the surgeon is in my opinion.
There are plenty of people out there who have'nt had a hair transplant but just happen to have thin hair especially over the age of 40.

To me it was the choice of some hair over slick bald head. Yeah a bald guy will never get Tom Cruise hair but for most they will get an improved appearance.

Boondock

Reaction score
^ That's pretty much what I mean. I see people on the tube with see-through hair, where you can see the scalp across the board, but these guys have not had hair transplants. Nobody in the street would give a second thought to their hair. It's thin, but looks 'good'.

Vanzzzz

Established Member
Reaction score
Yea I agree. Most older men have naturally thin hair anyway, even without hair transplant, like the Dr Rassman. His hair looks very thin, but I doubt he had a hair transplant.