“you Need A Haircut” (baldness Haunts You Even When You Are Old)

Roberto_72

My Regimen
Reaction score
After 46 years of bitterness,
preoccupations,
disappointment for this stupid hair,
you would think you have found peace of mind.

You cut your hair very short every two weeks because you can’t style it.

You hope people have finally accepted your hair for what it is.

But... every time, every damn time you skip one week of barber and hair grows a bit, just _a tiny bit_, there comes the remark that will put you back in your place:
“you really need a haircut”
or, “you shouldn’t grow it out”.

This thing will bury me.

Roberto_72

My Regimen
Reaction score
Sorry to hear that bro. I was expecting better news! I was thinking it will look good at especially with the upcoming improvement and diffuse thinning will be more or less gone. Maybe remarks are from people really focused on looks - back in the Mediterranean people are not shy to express their real thoughts - whether it's good or bad. Perhaps the average person wouldn't notice and would think your hair is above average for your age.

As for going to barbers, I think no one beyond thick Norwood 2.5 should go to one as it's pretty embarrassing and also a reminder of what could have been. The Norwood scale doesn't apply to diffuse thinners but anyone with advanced diffuse loss (like diffuse Norwood 3-7) should just clip at home.

I do think you can grow yours out though, you have showed me before and it looked age appropriate and tidy.
TBH I am happy with what I have on my way to 50 :)
These episodes make me think of something, though, and I hate it.
We always say we should accept we're balding.
When will OTHERS accept we're balding?

yetti

Experienced Member
Reaction score

I think... I'm sure, some people do accept it. And as for the others, well you can't please everyone. This is something I deal with as well, as far as being liked goes. Can't be liked by everyone. So be it. At a certain point it's their problem, not yours.

Marky

My Regimen
Reaction score
preoccupations,

But... every time, every damn time you skip one week of barber and hair grows a bit, just _a tiny bit_, there comes the remark that will put you back in your place:

This thing will bury me.
That sounds expensive, do you get a discount for being a frequent customer and only needing a quick buzz?

Ya unless someone goes through it themselves they will never understand.

Cowboys fan

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
The agony of losing ones hair never goes away for those who care about their hair. I'm early 60s. I've been balding for about 30 years. And every day I wake up and it's the first thing on my mind and the last before I go to.bed still waiting for the cure thats always 5 years away . Hopefully u guys will all.get your hair back before ur an old fart like me.

BalderBaldyBald

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
The agony of losing ones hair never goes away for those who care about their hair. I'm early 60s. I've been balding for about 30 years. And every day I wake up and it's the first thing on my mind and the last before I go to.bed still waiting for the cure thats always 5 years away . Hopefully u guys will all.get your hair back before ur an old fart like me.

Been telling the same thing to me for 15 years...still going, FEELS o'brother

CopeForLife

My Regimen
Reaction score
Butthurt phrase:

"My hair is good because I take care of them"

jasonstatham

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
preoccupations,

This thing will bury me.

lol I'm right now in this stage. 4 weeks no haircut, and it looks bad. I need to cut every 2-3 weeks to look okay-ish. But I'm gonna have a transplant in 13 days, so who cares now. Hat prison it is.

Mushu

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

Most times it's due to ignorance but sometimes can be due to insensitive individuals. Either way, It's probably easier for me to say since I've not been in your shoes, but try to not let it bother you.

I usually don't comment in the impact section but this reminded me of a scenario with a co worker and I felt bad for him.

We just finished our meal at the table and conversation came up as regarding my hair as I went to another co workers stylist and said it made my hair easy to maintain a decent look(I cut my own hair) after visiting said stylist. Conversation was brought up because I discussed her big butt.

They then said to co worker with norwood 3.5 to 4, with thinning forelock.

"You cut your hair too short".

There was a awkward silence and he said, yeah, they did cut it shorter than usual. One of my other co workers at the table( none of them were beyond a norwood 2) said "Did you get a haircut? It seems different for some reason"

In my mind, I was thinking that there's not much he can do and these guys are ignorant.

The receding co worker was clearly uncomfortable. They kept on trying to figure out his hair situation. I can see how it could have annoyed and made his day bad. The other co workers weren't malicious about it, just very ignorant.

Last edited: