"You have more going for you than just your hair"

TheHandsomeLurker

Established Member
Reaction score
"You have more going for you than just your hair."

A female friend of mine told me this when I confided to her that I was losing my hair. And guess what? It's true.

And more importantly, it's true of you, too. Yes, you reading this post! You are a good person who is loved and valued by others, hair loss or not. You're also good at things, and I might add that you look rather dapper today.

If you're not convinced, here's an exercise: make a list of 100 ways in which hair loss has negatively impacted your life. Seriously, get to 100 without duplicates. After that,make a list of 100 good things in your life which hair loss has not affected at all.

I did this exercise, and it was an epiphany.

If you do this, I suspect that you, like me, will find some interesting things:

• Most of the bad things about hair loss are in your head
  • Most of the good things unaffected by hair loss are tangible and real
  • The good things are far more significant to you than the bad things. When I did this, the good outweighed the bad like a sumo wrestler on a seesaw with Gandhi on the other side.
  • All in all, you're a pretty great person.

hellouser

My Regimen
Reaction score
I wouldn't seek sympathy from anyone other than people on this forum. In real life, people will give you the bullsh*t answer than everything is fine, your hair isn't that important, bla bla bla. These ignorant cretins will downplay the importance of hair JUST to make you feel better. They're lying through their teeth. Everyone would rather have the choice of having hair than being bald. And this goes for women, all of them would rather have a guy WITH hair. And if they should prefer a bald guy, there is nothing stopping him from shaving it off with a razor.

Looking good is the most important aspect INITIALLY. It gets you your foot through the door. After that, THEN its everything else. But if youre a writeoff off the bat, how the hell are you going to make an impression on anyone if society just sh*ts on bald men?

uncomfortable man

Reaction score
I'm good enough, I'm smart enough.... and gosh darn it, people like me.

But really, baldness effects the way people perceive you which is easy to take for granted by way of saying old crap like "who cares what other people think." There is a very real prejudice against bald men in our society that can be felt the most in the dating scene. I'm talking about those unfortunate few who are completely bald by their early twenties. Much of our worth is placed on appearance so in a world such as this, bald guys can suffer. The challenge for us bald guys is finding our worth despite what others think and learning to dismiss anyone who judges us harshly as douche bags and to not buy into that way of thinking because it will eat you alive.

K

karankaran

For me , now there are a lot of things going for me - i am in graduate school at my dream univ , just completed my 1st term with a 4 gpa etc etc.. and i do feel happy about it. But the effect is not as additive as i wish. In fact, the more everything goes in my favor, I think - OH, I SO WISH that i had my hair too and everything in my life could be perfect and complete!

Unfollicled

Reaction score

A female friend of mine told me this when I confided to her that I was losing my hair. And guess what? It's true.

And more importantly, it's true of you, too. Yes, you reading this post! You are a good person who is loved and valued by others, hair loss or not. You're also good at things, and I might add that you look rather dapper today.

If you're not convinced, here's an exercise: make a list of 100 ways in which hair loss has negatively impacted your life. Seriously, get to 100 without duplicates. After that,make a list of 100 good things in your life which hair loss has not affected at all.

• The good things are far more significant to you than the bad things. When I did this, the good outweighed the bad like a sumo wrestler on a seesaw with Gandhi on the other side.

With all due respect, this sounds like something a religious nut or your mom would come out with. The fact is, these days it's all about personal identity and the individual. We want to be the person who makes us feel most confident about ourselves. I applaud your efforts to make us feel better but in the real world it does not work. If you think I am not being real, just go out into society and see who gives a hoot about compiling lists like yours. No one wants sympathy and if you find yourself counting your blessings, something has already gone very wrong, yes?

Reaction score
"

Okay, I'm in.

100 ways in which hair loss has negatively impacted my life.

d4301e5f2fbbfcb5dac964b6aaaad3dc0d016ae83528104e6d1fbee4840b6ac8.jpg

1) I have lost the ability to look forward to the future. Any future plans seem vain, any achievement seems pointless if I have to picture myself as a bald man going through future events.

2)Unability to focus, constant distraction. My mind is on hairloss close to 24/7.

3)I have developped miror phobia/obsession. I know where all the mirrors of my city are and I must check how visible my male pattern baldness is when I walk past one.

4) I am disgusted by my own genes and do not wish to reproduce. There is no deeper level of self-hatred than hating what defines you at your very core(your DNA). It affects my interractions with people with kids, especially those who are plagued by the male pattern baldness gene.

5) I am forced to save so much money for a hair transplant. It's like having a $10000 debt and the mob after my ***.

6) I feel extremely depressed when I'm around young-looking people and I try to avoid them. They are celebrating youth and health and beauty while I'm rotting.

7)I don't want to get back to studying there is no way I'm going back to college as a balding man. I'll be a creep on campus.

8)I have lost touch with acquaintances from the past because I dont want to be seen by them. I'd like to be remembered as a guy with a full head of hair by those who still have this image of myself in mind. Turning down invitations, but less and less due to being a recluse since my mid-forelock became diffuse.

9) Let's be real: a bald head is a major turn-off for young women. This is affecting my life a lot. Not being able to get attention from young, hot females= missing out big time.

10) Constantly spotting norwoods and bad/great hairlines if I'm leaving the house. I should be checking out asses and tits but here I am looking for balder people than me. That's miserable.

11) A bald spot doesnt make me feel any better, it sends shivers down my spine. It's actually a scary vision.

12) Suicidal thoughts. Thank you male pattern baldness gene. I dont think I will ever cross that limit but that's not necessarily a good thing, objectively.

13) Constant regrets about the past, the number one thing being: why didnt I start finasteride at 18???

14)the Minoxidil itch

15) Not being able to do steroids

16) All that time wasted obsessing about geeky hairloss science and reading/posting the same ****.

17) Becoming obsessed with looks in general to compensate, BDD madness.

18) This feeling of fighting a constant losing battle, every single hair seen going down the drain brings a feeling of doom and defeat.

19) Staying away from panic attacks whenever baldness is mentionned in social situations.

20)Chasing women obsessively to seek validation to compensate, and also because hair loss is a ticking bomb and made me realize time wasnt on my side if I wanted to "play the field". Loads of drama and bull****, I was much more at peace when I had a limited(normal) dating life. I'd never have a become a serial cheater and club rat ****er if it wasnt for my extremely low-self esteem due to hair loss. BTW, it proves confidence does nothing to get women, I was lucky to be tall, masculine and athletic with good features otherwise I'd be dead with my ****ty NW3.

21) Morbid outlook on life, facing the aging process so early is very bleak and made me change my views on death, no kidding. And yes, I've experienced the death of close relatives.

I've gotta get ready for work but finding 21 reasons was easy and I'll come up with 79 other ones tomorrow FOR SURE.

Stay tuned.

Thom

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I may not be quite as positive as I once was but I'll tell you this: I don't care what people think of me, no one bestowed upon them a right to determine anything in my life. To worry what they think about my hair or anything else gives them power over me which I refuse to do.

"I'm not here to live up to your expectations and you're not here to live up to mine"-Bruce Lee

Reaction score
Okay, I'm in.

View attachment 23131

1) I have lost the ability to look forward to the future. Any future plans seem vain, any achievement seems pointless if I have to picture myself as a bald man going through future events.

2)Unability to focus, constant distraction. My mind is on hairloss close to 24/7.

3)I have developped miror phobia/obsession. I know where all the mirrors of my city are and I must check how visible my male pattern baldness is when I walk past one.

4) I am disgusted by my own genes and do not wish to reproduce. There is no deeper level of self-hatred than hating what defines you at your very core(your DNA). It affects my interractions with people with kids, especially those who are plagued by the male pattern baldness gene.

5) I am forced to save so much money for a hair transplant. It's like having a $10000 debt and the mob after my ***.

6) I feel extremely depressed when I'm around young-looking people and I try to avoid them. They are celebrating youth and health and beauty while I'm rotting.

7)I don't want to get back to studying there is no way I'm going back to college as a balding man. I'll be a creep on campus.

8)I have lost touch with acquaintances from the past because I dont want to be seen by them. I'd like to be remembered as a guy with a full head of hair by those who still have this image of myself in mind. Turning down invitations, but less and less due to being a recluse since my mid-forelock became diffuse.

9) Let's be real: a bald head is a major turn-off for young women. This is affecting my life a lot. Not being able to get attention from young, hot females= missing out big time.

10) Constantly spotting norwoods and bad/great hairlines if I'm leaving the house. I should be checking out asses and tits but here I am looking for balder people than me. That's miserable.

11) A bald spot doesnt make me feel any better, it sends shivers down my spine. It's actually a scary vision.

12) Suicidal thoughts. Thank you male pattern baldness gene. I dont think I will ever cross that limit but that's not necessarily a good thing, objectively.

13) Constant regrets about the past, the number one thing being: why didnt I start finasteride at 18???

14)the Minoxidil itch

16) All that time wasted obsessing about geeky hairloss science and reading/posting the same ****.

18) This feeling of fighting a constant losing battle, every single hair seen going down the drain brings a feeling of doom and defeat.

19) Staying away from panic attacks whenever baldness is mentionned in social situations.

20)Chasing women obsessively to seek validation to compensate, and also because hair loss is a ticking bomb and made me realize time wasnt on my side if I wanted to "play the field". Loads of drama and bull****, I was much more at peace when I had a limited(normal) dating life. I'd never have a become a serial cheater and club rat ****er if it wasnt for my extremely low-self esteem due to hair loss. BTW, it proves confidence does nothing to get women, I was lucky to be tall, masculine and athletic with good features otherwise I'd be dead with my ****ty NW3.

21) Morbid outlook on life, facing the aging process so early is very bleak and made me change my views on death, no kidding. And yes, I've experienced the death of close relatives.

I've gotta get ready for work but finding 21 reasons was easy and I'll come up with 79 other ones tomorrow FOR SURE.

Stay tuned.

22) Never experienced any side effects from finasteride and from my research this is a very safe drug but interfering with your hormones is not a pleasant idea and something no man happily considers especially when you hate popping pills for other reasons. Nobody takes anti androgens without doubts. You wonder. Am I enjoying sex as much as in the past?

23)Having to hide your treatments to everyone, you don't want your friends to find your rogaine. I remember my 23rd birthday party, I hid my rogaine under a ton of dirty laundry in a bag on top of a massive cupboard as if it was a collection of p**rn magazines in a religious dorm.

24) travelling becomes a pain in the ***, I had to spray apply my minoxidil on the train the other day. It's even worse with RU I guess.

25) Embarassing, regular trips at the derm and at the chemist. Doctors trying to lecture me, and asking for finasteride feels like asking for v**** or bupe. I avoid my family pharmacy.

26)You dread the moment when people are gonna want to take pictures wherever you are, at family reunions or sports events. The first thing you check on pics is how your hairline looks, the background becomes almost irrelevant. Paranoid about facebook pictures.

27) Trying to be cool and doing young people stuff becomes pathetic. Nothing wrong with being a skateboard afficionado in your late twenties, but with a horseshoe you just turn pathetic. Enjoy watching your old classmates still live like teens while you are forced to become boring.

28) Waking up and systematically checking your pillow, then the mirror to see if this whole thing wasn't just a nightmare or if it is as bad as in yesterday's memories. Checking your hand like a frantic when you are shampooing. Being afraid to shampoo. Becoming OCD crazy.

29) Losing your ability to express your style through a cool haircut.

30) Enjoy freaking out if a girl touches your hair and realizes how ****ing bald you are.

31) Turn on the TV, it opens up a world where all the successful males are NW2 at worse. Bald men are ridiculed and associated with loser traits. You turn it off or watch animal documentaries but those always end up mentionning how only a minority of males get all the poon in most species and you realize the race is pretty much lost for you if you want access to the best females. Even animals tell you to accept your fate of inferiority.

32) What seemed beautiful and pleasant becomes painfully frustrating. Pictures of hot young girls you know you'll never get, models and actors sporting cool stuff but you know how ****ty their products would look if they were norwood 5. Even beautiful hair on a girl makes you freak the **** out. Model ads that celebrate a beauty you have been denied to enjoy.

33) Hats. Should I wear them and start DEPENDING on them? Should I live under them and worry about dissapointing people as I take them off? Anybody I see with a hat, I assume the poor ****er is balding badly. Hats are cool, if you have great hair underneath, otherwise everyone sees how insecure you are.

34) Insecurities and jealousy towards NW1's. I see two NW1's laughing on the street, waiting for a bus. I know they wouldnt laugh if they were NW3's. I know they don't have to deal with this crazy ****. Just because their follicles are not genitically doomed.

35) Nobody to share this with apart from anonymous Internet boards, this is just too shameful to discuss with real-life people, and if you do they try to bull**** you with naive and generic "be confident" advice I presume/. Most embarassing ****, ever.

36) People don't feel sorry for bald men. We are laughing stock, and we are supposed to shrug it off when getting teased. Do they know how much this can **** you up?

uncomfortable man

Reaction score
+1 for number 36.... all I have ever said since my very first post was just how insensitive and deliberately hurtful people can be if you are "different".

anyway, "You have more going for you than your hair." You would have to have hair for that statement to be true. Let's hear some genuine complements about bald men from women that aren't laced with pitty.

hellouser

My Regimen
Reaction score
Okay, I'm in.

View attachment 23131

14)the Minoxidil itch

Stay tuned.

22) Never experienced any side effects from finasteride and from my research this is a very safe drug but interfering with your hormones is not a pleasant idea and something no man happily considers especially when you hate popping pills for other reasons. Nobody takes anti androgens without doubts. You wonder. Am I enjoying sex as much as in the past?

23)Having to hide your treatments to everyone, you don't want your friends to find your rogaine. I remember my 23rd birthday party, I hid my rogaine under a ton of dirty laundry in a bag on top of a massive cupboard as if it was a collection of p**rn magazines in a religious dorm.

24) travelling becomes a pain in the ***, I had to spray apply my minoxidil on the train the other day. It's even worse with RU I guess.

25) Embarassing, regular trips at the derm and at the chemist. Doctors trying to lecture me, and asking for finasteride feels like asking for v**** or bupe. I avoid my family pharmacy.

26)You dread the moment when people are gonna want to take pictures wherever you are, at family reunions or sports events. The first thing you check on pics is how your hairline looks, the background becomes almost irrelevant. Paranoid about facebook pictures.

27) Trying to be cool and doing young people stuff becomes pathetic. Nothing wrong with being a skateboard afficionado in your late twenties, but with a horseshoe you just turn pathetic. Enjoy watching your old classmates still live like teens while you are forced to become boring.

28) Waking up and systematically checking your pillow, then the mirror to see if this whole thing wasn't just a nightmare or if it is as bad as in yesterday's memories. Checking your hand like a frantic when you are shampooing. Being afraid to shampoo. Becoming OCD crazy.

30) Enjoy freaking out if a girl touches your hair and realizes how ****ing bald you are.

31) Turn on the TV, it opens up a world where all the successful males are NW2 at worse. Bald men are ridiculed and associated with loser traits. You turn it off or watch animal documentaries but those always end up mentionning how only a minority of males get all the poon in most species and you realize the race is pretty much lost for you if you want access to the best females. Even animals tell you to accept your fate of inferiority.

32) What seemed beautiful and pleasant becomes painfully frustrating. Pictures of hot young girls you know you'll never get, models and actors sporting cool stuff but you know how ****ty their products would look if they were norwood 5. Even beautiful hair on a girl makes you freak the **** out. Model ads that celebrate a beauty you have been denied to enjoy.

33) Hats. Should I wear them and start DEPENDING on them? Should I live under them and worry about dissapointing people as I take them off? Anybody I see with a hat, I assume the poor ****er is balding badly. Hats are cool, if you have great hair underneath, otherwise everyone sees how insecure you are.

34) Insecurities and jealousy towards NW1's. I see two NW1's laughing on the street, waiting for a bus. I know they wouldnt laugh if they were NW3's. I know they don't have to deal with this crazy ****. Just because their follicles are not genitically doomed.

35) Nobody to share this with apart from anonymous Internet boards, this is just too shameful to discuss with real-life people, and if you do they try to bull**** you with naive and generic "be confident" advice I presume/. Most embarassing ****, ever.

36) People don't feel sorry for bald men. We are laughing stock, and we are supposed to shrug it off when getting teased. Do they know how much this can **** you up?

Hit the nail on the head, particularly #35 and #36.

Brandles

Reaction score
life is one big competition,
no hair loss doesn't automatically make "lose" but you better not have any other major flaws about you.

tall, handsome NW3 is OK.

Short, bald is not.
bald fat is not.
bald poor is not.
bald pale is not.
pale scrawny is not (unless you are very tall in some cases this is ok).

I feel like there is an extra expectation on bald men to achieve things, they have to be more successful than average just to be competitive, with dating esp. and that's only for maintaing the Average Joe title. If you want to be "that guy" who all the women want, who is admired by people, then being bald makes it very hard indeed.

Reaction score

37) Feeling toxic due to treatments. Your blood cannot be given and pregnant women cant even touch your pills. You can poison cats with your minoxidil. You feel disgusting and you are actually toxic.

38) Constant dissapointments when following updates about future treatments and possible real cures. BRB in 5 years telling you about that one new solution that could be available "in 5 years time". This contributes to the build-up of bitterness and desperation.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Tartar_Steppe great book you will relate to this.

Deadman1

Established Member
Reaction score

There are a billion guys out there who have just as much going for them as you do, BUT with a full head of hair.
Also, a guy can have a lot less going for him than you, but a full hair of hair will make up for that.

A luxurious mansion with all the best amenities is nothing if the roof is missing.

VeprSuper

Experienced Member
Reaction score
There are a billion guys out there who have just as much going for them as you do, BUT with a full head of hair.
Also, a guy can have a lot less going for him than you, but a full hair of hair will make up for that.

A luxurious mansion with all the best amenities is nothing if the roof is missing.

That's not entirely true. If you stay fit and work on yourself, you've got the vast majority beaten, especially after 30.

uncomfortable man

Reaction score
Yeah, let's just keep on spewing rhetoric that bald men are inferior trash. You are all nw3 anyway so who the fu ck cares huh? God damned monsters you all are.

jasenwm

Reaction score
life is one big competition,
no hair loss doesn't automatically make "lose" but you better not have any other major flaws about you.

tall, handsome NW3 is OK.

Short, bald is not.
bald fat is not.
bald poor is not.
bald pale is not.
pale scrawny is not (unless you are very tall in some cases this is ok).

I feel like there is an extra expectation on bald men to achieve things, they have to be more successful than average just to be competitive, with dating esp. and that's only for maintaing the Average Joe title. If you want to be "that guy" who all the women want, who is admired by people, then being bald makes it very hard indeed.

This Is quite possibly the best truth I have ever herd, Life is one big competition! Yes it is. I am a NW7, I have a perfect shaped head. I used to shave my head slick,I'm 5'5 not tall, I'm in very good shape and am very good looking face wise. I did look good bald but I noticed time and time again if I was in a bar or whatever, very attractive women would not notice me. I was the bald guy. Now I did ok with women I got my share of cute women but face it like anything else you are competing with other men. Why is a attractive women going to pick you to talk to when she has a million other attractive guys with full heads of hair to chose from? You may have everything going for you and have a great personality but you have get her attention first. Physical attraction is the first step. Now I remember how it was when I had hair and I got the attention of the type of women that I'm talking about. So I now wear a hair system,piece whatever you want to call it. Know what I call it? A game leveler, It makes the playing field even. I wish I didn't have to wear one but if you want attractive younger women your going to have to work twice as hard as the NW1 guy no doubt about that and your chances of landing a hot P.O.A. is 30% if that.

CursedMen

Established Member
Reaction score
Hansom, I appreciate your kind words. **** all these haters, and do yourself a favor and get as far away from all the gloom and doom on these forums.