You guys think you have it bad. I’m screwed.

Rubicant112

My Regimen
Reaction score
Is there any evolution of your hair?
I’ve been on .5mg of finasteride MWF for about 2.5 months, and 1.25mg of oral minoxidil for about 6 weeks. It’s too early to tell, but I do think it has thickened up about, just looks kind of darker on top.

camille leprevost

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
hello there,

i just readed an interesting post Propecia and 5AR1 | HairLossTalk Forums toward finasteride, as we know fina block only type 2 of the 5ar enzyme. However type 1 5ar is present on the skin/ scalp and hair. Then i think it is possible that the increase of T that fina causes when it block 5ar2 might increase the activity of the 5ar type 1 which is present in your hair an skin, that's could explain why fina did't have any effect on dupa hairloss and maybe caused also an increase of acne for some of us. Maybe us duppa sufferer can be fucked up equally by 5ar1 and 5ar2

Thats why i am asking if any dupa sufferer out there tried dutasteride or topical dutasteride sell by minoxidil max. Dutasteride seems to block type 1 and 2 of 5ar.

I found one post who claim to have stopped his hairloss with duta :
Was dutasteride the right call for someone with DUPA? | HairLossTalk Forums

any thought so far ?

yurguardianangel

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
View attachment 153957View attachment 153958View attachment 153960View attachment 153961View attachment 153962
DUPA guy here. Apparently nothing we can do for this. Also, I have an identical twin brother who has the same hair loss, except he’s slick bald on top.

I always had my hair long, so maybe that’s why I didn’t notice until this year when I sent pictures to see about getting a hair transplant. That’s when I was told that I have DUPA. Confirmed by Dr Rassman.

last year I tried finasteride, 1.25mg a day proscar, 5mg cut into fourths. Took it for 3-4 weeks until I noticed it was almost impossible to get an erection, or it was kind of soft. I stopped immediately after talking to my doctor. Right now all I do is rogaine once a day, and recently started 2% ketaconazole shampoo, and a demapen.

I always seemed to have thick wavy hair. Just thought I was going to go bald on top because both of my parents’ dads are bald.

Other than being twins, and having the same genetics, we both had a varicocel embolization done to fix a bad valve. They put these springs in to close it off.

One thing I will say is that my scalp all over is so damn itchy. A dermatologist suggested the ketoconazole because of seb dermatitis, but it’s still so damn itchy. Especially days when I shower and lay down to sleep. Now I usually shower in the morning before work, it always seems to itch so bad when I lay my head on my pillow. Doesn’t usually itch at work or anything until I get home. Maybe my scalp is allergic to my cats? Who knows.

My testosterone has always been high. Last time I had it checked it was 714 total. I’ve always had low vitamin D. Lowest was 6, last time I had it checked it was 31, still low. Gonna try a lower dose of finasteride once my GF and I can conceive. Worried that it’ll make things worse. Some things I’ve read seem to point to T being the problem, but no one seems to know much of anything about DUPA.

Cant really think of much else. Feel free to comment, unless you’re that Camille person who hijacks every post about DUPA.

Would look better shaved at least for you! I used to shave(clippers with no guard) my head before I wore a hair system.

Patchy balding hair looks the worst.

If you hadn't mentioned the scalp extreme itching problems.
Then a light density hair system with an undercut style could work for you too. You could still do that if you get the scalp issue sorted.

yurguardianangel

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
It sucks. Probably can’t even use a hair piece because it would look goofy with a full head of hair on top, but empty on the sides and back.
Undercut style you can. And a light density hair system.
However your extreme itching scalp problem needs to be sorted first. Otherwise even a fully breathable full lace hair system will itch on the glue or tape area.

I too have scalp itching problems but mine isn't as bad. Dandruff and dry skin. Without my hair system on, it itches every now and then but not extreme itching.

Attachments

• D4367BAB-F66A-4C50-A76C-213B7B75C3E3.png
    D4367BAB-F66A-4C50-A76C-213B7B75C3E3.png
    827.4 KB · Views: 164

yurguardianangel

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I have seen that. I do plan to try finasteride again at a lower dose, but I also want to have tests done to check for any issues. Probably need to find an endocrinologist to help.
No point taking hair loss meds at Norwood 6 like that. Your just wasting your time doing it.