Yet another question about sebum

worried

Established Member
Reaction score
So when I look in the mirror under heavy light, i notice my scalp is usually a little shiny on my hairline where it has receeded back a bit and also in my diffuse thinning parts of the scalp...is this a build-up a sebum? I shampoo every morning, 3x a week with nizoral, 3x a week with a thickening shampoo, and 1x a week with a fortifying (strengthening to cause less breakage or whatever) shampoo. Am I missing something and is this shinyness worsening my condition? If so, any suggestions?

Thanks.

Bone Daddy

Established Member
Reaction score
Think of your scalp as "Hiroshima after the big bomb", the shiny areas would be considered "fallout".

I'm sorry.

oni

Reaction score
what else are you doing got any finasteride or minx going on?

Reaction score
I think thats normal to have an oily looking scalp while on drug treatments. I think you're properly taking care of your washing regime (or regimen), and thats good. You didnt say you have a shed... so keep it up.

Sebum i think is the yellow bulb that sometimes become thick crusty gross out layer on top of the scalp. If yours just oily, it is not sebum, I think.

Matgallis

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Do you have an oily face? Acne during puberty? Have you always had an oily scalp (even before propeica?)

WHen I first started finasteride I broke out in zits for the first 2 weeks. After that my face remained very clear. Since being off finasteride I went back to my oily skin :(

worried

Established Member
Reaction score
After starting finasteride, my face did get a good bit more oily for a while. I've always had sort of oily skin though but never had that many zits when i was younger. I usually either get really small barely noticeable ones or huge ugly ones. After about a week on finasteride, I majorly broke out, as in I had four or five bad ones at one time. Since then, I started washing my face more regularly and haven't had a problem in about a month (i just finished month two).

As per the shed, I don't think I am having one. I notice the same amount of hair in the shower as normal. Some days my hair looks thicker and some days not (sort of depending on the weather).

Again, thanks for the help.

ManUFan

Reaction score
What kind of treatment, (vitamins, topicals, shampoos) you guys use to help prevent sebum or keep it under control? I'm more curious with what shampoo is effective with sebum, and what you guys use. With the exception of Nizoral since I use that twice a week. What shampoos do you use in between?

jblig

Established Member
Reaction score
Tgel, I believe can help with that, I have been having alot of sebum in my thinning area, starting to wonder if its a result of thinning hair or the cause........

Pete

Established Member
Reaction score
So when I look in the mirror under heavy light, i notice my scalp is usually a little shiny on my hairline where it has receeded back a bit and also in my diffuse thinning parts of the scalp...is this a build-up a sebum? I shampoo every morning, 3x a week with nizoral, 3x a week with a thickening shampoo, and 1x a week with a fortifying (strengthening to cause less breakage or whatever) shampoo. Am I missing something and is this shinyness worsening my condition? If so, any suggestions?

Research into Pantothenic acid and Zinc to help with your oiliness - alongside your exisitng regime.

worried

Established Member
Reaction score
So these vitamens (thats what it looks like from searching previous posts anyway) will help reduce the oilyness of my scalp? Im not so sure that the shiny-spots are oil because they are there even after I get done washing my hair sometimes.