Yep...my story

f_ugly

Reaction score
Hey all.... long time reader, literally years, but this is the first time I've ever bothered to post. I guess I just haven't in the past because there have been hundreds of people going through the same **** as me and all the rest of us.

I noticed my hair began falling out about 10 years ago, when I was 20. It was pretty devastating, but was happening very gradually and was very manageable. The men on my mother's side of the family are bald, but I'm the only child in my family who has picked up this inferior gene. My father has a full head of hair and he's 65. Unfortunately, I drew the short straw. It's really horrible that this one tiny little piece of genetic information is enough to ruin lives and change everything for people.

A couple of years ago I noticed that it was slowly getting worse, and I started wearing hats EVERYWHERE. Like, people began not recognising me unless I was wearing a hat. I'm a good looking guy...have never had trouble meeting women (there are a lot who are interested in me) and at times, because of this, I'm full of confidence. This has all recently changed, and quite suddenly.

Last year, I decided it was time to do something about my hairloss. I never really seemed to go through phases like other people...my hair had just been in a continuous shed for years. I went to a few doctors, 2 of which laughed at me, those unprofessional pricks, and prescribed me Propecia. I never picked up the prescription though, because of the horror stories I've read - impotence, infertility, depression...

I guess it must've been in August when I bought myself some Regaine 5% and started applying it 2x daily. I felt good that I was finally doing something, something proven. I think it must have been October that I started going through the initial shed. I didn't actually think I could shed any more than I actually was, but boy was I wrong. It came fast and was aggressive, and I lost a lot of ground, but I decided to stick with it for a bit longer. Around the middle of October I had some pretty unpleasant stabbing pains coming from deep inside my heart. At first I didn't know what was causing it but then remembered reading about it as a possible side effect of Minoxidil...a very VERY unlikely side effect (0.2% of users or something). I immediately went to a doctor and she took an ECG and said things looked fine and said she was SURE it wasn't from the Minoxidil. But I don't know...how much do doctors actually know about certain drugs? I got a second opinion who told me to stop using it for a few weeks, and she sent me to a cardiologist. He took an ultrasound and said there was a slight abnormality but it didn't explain the sensations I was experiencing and he also said that I could keep using the Minoxidil without fear.

By this time I was down to using it only once daily, and missed a couple of days here and there, and around the middle of November I added Nizoral 2%, which made my hair and my scalp feel much much better. I think I'd stopped the Minoxidil altogether by the start of December... I hadn't been using it regularly anyway so it couldn't have been doing much.

The shedding stopped. Miraculously. Basically around the same time that I'd made the decision to stop the Regaine. It happened just in the nick of time as well. I still had good coverage, even though it was only a thin layer on top and my crown had expanded a bit, but with a bit of Toppik you could hardly notice it. I attributed this sudden and drastic improvement to the Nizoral. I know it isn't meant to treat hairloss, but we've all heard the stories and read the studies. I counted myself lucky...very lucky. I kept using it 3 times a week and completely forgot about my hairloss. I could finally live my life as a normal person again, think about things that mattered. Not wear a hat every day of my life. I could run my hands through my hair, even tug on it, and where there were once 10+ hairs there was not one. This went on for about 2 months. The happiest 2 months I've had in a long long time.

Anyway...I guess it wasn't the Nizoral, it must have been the Minoxidil. The hair started to fall again, and devastation slowly crept back in. I still had 1 bottle of Regaine 5% left, and in March, about 1 month ago, decided to get back on it, only applying it once a day before bed. It worked once, so it should again...right?

But OH MY GOD how things have gotten worse. I guess I'm going through another initial shed, plus losing whatever I'd made in those couple of months towards the end of last year. It started about a week after, and I've lost so much ground. 10+ hairs turned into 70+ hairs (yes I counted them) about 4 times a day. And that's just the hair that was visibly falling. That's literally hundreds of hairs per day. I can now see the entire top of my scalp. I was diffuse thinning for years...but now...I don't want to go outside anymore. It's basically a f*ing combover. I don't want to go to work. I don't want to see my friends. People who know me are going to think "omgwtf happened to you???" And I'm a prominent member in the scene here, and women love me. It's bad. Real bad. No amount of Toppik can fix this mess, I tried. It just falls onto my scalp and a couple of hours later it looks as if I've been rubbing my head in the dirt. No hair cut is going to fix this problem and I am SERIOUSLY considering shaving it all off which will make things very obvious but maybe I'll leave this city and begin a new life as an ugly member of society. I'm going to look like a freak though. I hate bald heads. Horse shoes are even worse, and mine is pretty f*ing obvious now. I'm skinny, have a long neck and big eyes. I'm not ready to look into the mirror every day and see something I despise. I used to love how I looked. How can I expect to be happy if I can't look the way I want to look, EVER.

Anyway. I joined this forum because I'm hoping for a bit of support from people who are going through the same **** I am. A bit of positivity.

What should I do?

I'll upload some pics in a couple of months to track my progress.

Cheers.

f_ugly

Reaction score
Nearly one month later and the shedding still hasn't stopped. The entire top of my head has thinned out and the sides have stayed thick and lush. I look and feel diseased.

To put things in perspective...here's a photo from the end of December last year...during my miraculous time of no shed. I know it's not the best pic...sorry. But there was no (or barely any) skin showing through.

dec_2013_psd.jpg

These were taken the day I made the decision to get back on Regaine 5% :

CIMG0027_psd.jpgCIMG0032_psd.jpgCIMG0035_psd.jpg

And these were taken today. I know the pictures aren't the best comparison but there is definitely a big difference.

20140508_143415.jpg20140508_143600_psd.jpg20140508_185439.jpg

Any ideas guys??? Has anyone been in the same boat? If I look closely at my scalp I see a lot of little hairs spiking up...but I don't know if it's regrowth and I think it's too soon to tell. I just wish it would stop falling. I feel like I'm on the verge of a NW6. I can't believe it's still falling at the rate it was, mainly because there is hardly any left to shed.

Should I shave it? Should I start applying it 2x daily instead of just once? I'm a little scared about my chest pains returning if I overdo it...and I think now the scalp is used to a once a day application I don't want to upset it more. I want to get onto finasteride, but I think it's wiser to let my scalp somewhat sort itself out before adding any more treatments.

Any advice is welcomed. Sorry to sound so desperate, but I am.

CursedMen

Established Member
Reaction score
I think you should go with 2x daily. Maybe try easing into it; you are only on 1 mL now try 1 mL normally and then another .5 mL later. Slowly working your way up to 2 mL. I also think you should get on Propecia, but it is all up to you. There is plenty of professional research readily available. Shedding i quite normal don't give up because of a little shed; eventually that hair would be gone forever. Why not go through that **** faze now, so you don't have to later. Good luck buddy just give it time I think you'll be happy with the results.

f_ugly

Reaction score
Here's a little update from me...

I shed, constantly, for nearly 3 months. Then it magically stopped (again). I could run my hands through my hair and there were no hairs on my hands or in the sink afterwards. I had a bit of regrowth, my girlfriend couldn't believe it. It was definitely looking fuller and it was possible to style again. My scalp felt and looked very healthy. I was feeling pretty confident, and it stayed that way for a few months until a few weeks ago when I started to see hairs on my fingers after applying the foam, along with a bit of itching.

Is this normal? I'm guessing (hoping) it's just part of the normal Regaine cycle of shed, grow, shed...at 3 month intervals. It's not shedding anything like it was at the beginning, but it's definitely falling again. I'm hoping it will stop again soon and come back thicker, because now it's looking ****ty again.

I think I'll get onto Propecia too. The more I read about people who regret hesitating, the more convinced I'm becoming that it's the right thing to do, before it's too late. I am worried about side effects, and I expressed these concerns to my doctor but she told me not to worry about side effects and if I read about the side effects of drinking tea I wouldn't ever drink it again. Yes, she's probably exaggerating.

Do you guys think that I'll go through another initial shed when getting onto Propecia? I don't really think I could handle that.......

I've made a couple of observations whilst on Regaine :

It works. For a while at least.

I have definitely grown more body hair. Particularly on my chest and stomach (that was probably the first thing that my girlfriend noticed).

I feel like it has maybe made me look a bit older. I've got pretty deep wrinkles on my forehead now which weren't as bad before. In the past, people would guess my age at about 25 or 26...but recently it's been 29, and even 32(!!!). I actually turned 31 a couple of weeks ago. I don't know if the body hair and wrinkles is because of the Regaine or myself just naturally getting older, but they all seemed to happen around the same time as the Regaine took effect.

I've still only been applying half a capful once a day. I've read from a lot of doctors that it should still work (and it obviously has been), and it's definitely much cheaper that way because a pack will last me 6 months instead of just 3. Who has time to schedule their day around 2 applications 12 hours apart anyway? It's just inconvenient. So I've been applying once a day, sometimes at different times, but normally within a 24 hour time period. I haven't missed any applications, except for maybe a couple of days here and there because of festivals or whatever.

One thing I did notice however, was that if I applied it before going to bed at night, I would suddenly wake up about half an hour to an hour later in a cold sweat, heart racing and in and a state of panic, after a terrible dream. I thought at first that it was just a coincidence, but then it happened a few more times, and ONLY after applying the Regaine just before bed.

Has anyone else had a similar experience?

I'll report back more when something changes. Hopefully this is just a momentary lapse and then things will continue back on their positive route.

Bad

Established Member
Reaction score
minoxidil without finasteride is really not worth it in my opinion.

Quickstrike

Established Member
Reaction score
Been awhile since I've seen anyone on this site with actual hair loss. I like what you said though, it sums it up nicely.

"It's really horrible that this one tiny little piece of genetic information is enough to ruin lives and change everything for people."

:( Yeah man.

Get on finasteride or dutasteride ASAP.

f_ugly

Reaction score
Thanks a lot for all of your replies. I can get away without having a buzz cut atm, Toppik helps...a lot.

So.............

I bought my first pack of generic finasteride last week : 115€ for 3 month's supply!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Damn hey...

I still haven't taken the first pill yet. I'm really worried about the sides. And another initial shed which I fully couldn't handle right now. How many of you had an initial shed from finasteride? And was it as bad as the one from Min?

Should I do it???

Quickstrike

Established Member
Reaction score
Thanks a lot for all of your replies. I can get away without having a buzz cut atm, Toppik helps...a lot.

So.............

I bought my first pack of generic finasteride last week : 115€ for 3 month's supply!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Damn hey...

I still haven't taken the first pill yet. I'm really worried about the sides. And another initial shed which I fully couldn't handle right now. How many of you had an initial shed from finasteride? And was it as bad as the one from Min?

Should I do it???

You can either bald further or regrow/maintain what you have.

Take that pill.

The initial shed will only be a few months [?varies] out of your existence. A small price to pay.

f_ugly

Reaction score
A couple of months later....

I still haven't taken that pill. But I've continued religiously with applying 1/2 a capful of Regaine each morning. It's been a bit up and down and seems to go in phases...normally in 3 month intervals. At the moment I feel like I'm going through another shed, not a huge one but it's falling and I'm stressing after a pretty good run of a few months.

I think it's time to take that pill, though I want to start on a smaller dose, due to financial reasons and fear of sides. After reading up on smaller doses I think it's the way to go and I'm going to invest in a pill cutter so I can cut them evenly.

My question is, how should I store the halves that have been cut? And what if I want to cut a few pills at once and store them, instead of cutting a new one every 2 days?

Thanks guys.

f_ugly

Reaction score
Hey guys a quick update from me......

I finally took the plunge in April but only half a pill each day. Thankfully I haven't experienced any sides but also haven't had much in the way of progress. Things were going really well for a while there but after summer I suffered a massive shed and didn't really recover, and now I'm going through another one. I seem to shed pretty much every time the seasons change and I guess that means my hair cycle is about 3 months? I'm probably going to up the dosage to a full pill each day, maybe I will have more results then.

I'll keep you posted.

Reaction score
I can relay to your story! becoming the hat man, always looking over your shoulder, longing to live the life you use to live. you won't regret getting on finasteride!
I started taking 1.25 every day about 2.5months ago and got allot of new growth already! (have a look at my story)
I was afraid of the shed when i first tock the pill, but have not experienced any major shed (knock on wood)
Give finasteride at least 6 months.

Good luck bud!

f_ugly

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply man, I checked your story.....congrats! Hopefully I have more luck on 1mg daily.