Years Of Looking For Hair Growth /accidentally Found Coq10

MartyinCT

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I am new here, and registered just to share something with you.

First some background , I am 53 years old and feel that my hair has been thinning since my college days. I have been using Rogaine probably since it first came out. Not religiously during all years but its basically helped me keep a decent head of hair for my age with a crown bald spot in back.

For years and years I always look for new things to help but nothing seemed to be that magic bullet. There are always things "in the works" and of course Propecia which I chose not to take due to potential side effects.

Then something weird happened. After a diagnosis of some heart issues, I was recommended a supplement called COQ10 for heart health. I have been on it for about 4-5 months now. Oddly my hair seemed to turn a bit darker. My hair is dark brown but had a bit of grey in it. I thought that a bit weird. Then I noticed my bald spot seemingly shrinking from the borders in (like a closing circle).

Hair goes in cycles so I was not all that excited until this continued and I started poking around online and found that there is some evidence of this effect out there.

It is definitely noticeable as people from my daughter to my hair dresser to friends have mentioned it.

I would consider doing some research on it to see if it is possibility to help you with hair loss.

Here is one comment I found

""My parents 80 and 82, are both growing new dark hair after taking 400 mg of co q10 for 2 months. My mom's hair was getting thin and was completely white and she now has dark hair growing all over her head and my dad had been bald since 30 on the top of his head and he now has dark hair all over his bald spot. I have been taking 100 mg for 2 months and noticed my hair had gotten much longer quickly and my thin eyebrows are filling in. I am 51.I now take 400 mg. My elderly friend in her 70's has been taking 100 mg since summer and said her hair dresser noticed her hair was much thicker"."

Also google CoQ10 hair growth for more info and articles.

I know some new treatments are getting close in the coming years but they just never seem to materialize. I hope the end of this problem is near for us.

I read forums like this one all the time and never have much to report on but figured this was worth mentioning.

Bob Perkins

My Regimen
Reaction score
I just ordered a bottle of 100mg soft gels. Might as well try it out for a few months and report back. Thanks for the heads up!

folfoxorack

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Now Foods - Doctor's Best - Jason Natural - 21s Century - Solgar - Jarrow Formulas - Life Extention - ... - approve your thread and thank you !

MartyinCT

My Regimen
Reaction score
I just ordered a bottle of 100mg soft gels. Might as well try it out for a few months and report back. Thanks for the heads up!

Thanks for your reply, I wanted to offer some more info I found along the way. I always try to back up things I post with info but could not find it handily when I first posted..

Some research below..

(as a new member it wont let me post the link but google this phrase below and look for the Wiley link for the research report
Coenzyme Q10 has anti-aging effects on human hair

Also for you and others... I am trying to get some pictures and other info from people I have been talking to but there might be something to this in terms of mitochondria. It is odd that with all the money spent on hair loss regimens usually things get found by just being a side effect of something else going on (which is how Rogaine was found to be somewhat useful).

Good luck Bob!

Trichosan

My Regimen
Reaction score
Anecdotal evidence only it seems. Although you could impart some science in to your theory by getting your CoQ10 levels checked before you start on an increased dose. I did that a few months ago. It was 1.26 ug/mL. Reference range is 0.37-2.20. Performance characteristics may vary depending on which lab analysis you use.

Capone

My Regimen
Reaction score

First some background , I am 53 years old and feel that my hair has been thinning since my college days. I have been using Rogaine probably since it first came out. Not religiously during all years but its basically helped me keep a decent head of hair for my age with a crown bald spot in back.

For years and years I always look for new things to help but nothing seemed to be that magic bullet. There are always things "in the works" and of course Propecia which I chose not to take due to potential side effects.

Then something weird happened. After a diagnosis of some heart issues, I was recommended a supplement called COQ10 for heart health. I have been on it for about 4-5 months now. Oddly my hair seemed to turn a bit darker. My hair is dark brown but had a bit of grey in it. I thought that a bit weird. Then I noticed my bald spot seemingly shrinking from the borders in (like a closing circle).

Hair goes in cycles so I was not all that excited until this continued and I started poking around online and found that there is some evidence of this effect out there.

It is definitely noticeable as people from my daughter to my hair dresser to friends have mentioned it.

I would consider doing some research on it to see if it is possibility to help you with hair loss.

""My parents 80 and 82, are both growing new dark hair after taking 400 mg of co q10 for 2 months. My mom's hair was getting thin and was completely white and she now has dark hair growing all over her head and my dad had been bald since 30 on the top of his head and he now has dark hair all over his bald spot. I have been taking 100 mg for 2 months and noticed my hair had gotten much longer quickly and my thin eyebrows are filling in. I am 51.I now take 400 mg. My elderly friend in her 70's has been taking 100 mg since summer and said her hair dresser noticed her hair was much thicker"."

I know some new treatments are getting close in the coming years but they just never seem to materialize. I hope the end of this problem is near for us.

I read forums like this one all the time and never have much to report on but figured this was worth mentioning.
I kinda thought that too.. hair was getting a bit darker on the sides. I have just read the back of the supplement bottle and it has Rice Bran oil which is also known to darken hair. I had a few beers Fri night and usually the following day I’d have that nervous, palpitations feeling but I didn’t. Was able to go out and face the world! CoQ 10 must have something to do with calming the heart etc.

zaman

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Interesting. I have been meaning to try this for tinnitus anyway, can't hurt.

-Synergy-

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Coenzyme 10 increases the krebs cycle of cells allowing them to produce more ATP for the mitochondria. As we age levels of coenzyme 10 decrease. I was thinking about adding it to a topical with B5 as a precursor to coenzyme A and a few other things.

GP86

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Interested in this too. Anybody have any results to share with this?

otis

Experienced Member
Reaction score

otis

Experienced Member
Reaction score
After all these years this thread woke up to a few replies.Any how people have taken this for many many years and this is the first I heard of this affect

WantHairRegrowth

My Regimen
Reaction score
I have been thinking about taking CO Q10 due to the anti aging effects for a while. I am a 30 year old that wants to regrow my hair. However, can it hurt my hair regrowth?

GP86

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I assume if it worked well we would have heard more about it by now.

Capone

My Regimen
Reaction score
I lost a lot of hair in a matter of months due to the temporary use of the betablocker Propranolol. The remaining hairs also became quite grey. Apparently specifically the beta-blocker Propranolol (best known under the brand name Inderal) can deplete the body of the coenzyme Q10. I also read various accounts of people supplementing with coQ10 whose grey hairs returned to their original color. So I'm giving it a try, since I figured it can't hurt. Maybe it'll even help with my nagging scalp pain that has been going on for close to a year now. I read reports of people succesfully getting rid of their painful 'burning scalp syndrome' by taking 100mg of Q10 a day. It would be great if Q10 would help with that; I can't remember what it's like to not have a burning, stinging feeling in my scalp at night and during the day.
I noticed hair shedding on Propranolol too. It is a great drug for its purpose but it’s a shame it comes with said side effect. Why oh why can’t it help hair not hinder it. Life is such a b**ch, gives with one hand and takes with the other.