Stingray

Reaction score
Been here a million years.

Took a break for a while.

Not much has changed :)

Stingray

Reaction score
Yes, oh woes is me.

But seriously, it's worse than it was 4 years ago, but not by much. I just figured I didn't really care about it anymore so I gave up saving it. No one seems to really care either, so what's the big deal anyways? Seems in retrospect like it was all a waste of time, money, and effort. That's just me though.

Keepsin' it real in Iraq right now. This place sucks :)

Stingray

Reaction score
Ugh, I think the question should be "What WASN'T in my regimen".

Basically, I tried every main stream product under the sun. I didn't buy in to all the gypsy crap, like the Lazorbeam comb thing, elixer blends, or sh*t they advertise at 3:30am on AM talk radio. Stuff that I was using pretty much religiously was the typical Finasteride, Minoxidil, and Ketoconazole shampoo... name brand AND generics. I stuck with that mix for about 2 years with mediocre success (my idea of success was inhibiting hairloss, or a complete cessation. Regrowth would have been icing on the cake). Once things started to regress again, I jumped on the dutasteride band wagon. Personally, I had better results with Finasteride, but everyone's body chemistry works differently... I'm not touting any product over another one.

Like I mentioned, I had moderate success, but the ends didn't justify the means. I was spending a small fortune on this crap, and it just didn't seem to be working well enough to keep that hole in my pocket open any more. So I just quit everything cold turkey.

Also, I just accepted everything. I'm losing my hair... whoopdeefuckingdoo. I was the only one that seemed to care about it, so what was the point in stressing over it? It's just cosmetics. If you're unhappy without hair, you're probably just as unappealing to yourself with it. Kinda a psychosomatic thing. Like I said, though... This is just me. Cosmetics and superficiality seem like a waste of time and a marr on one's character in my eyes. If a girl thinks she's ugly without makeup and cakes it on to hide her imperfections, I find her just as unattractive and imperfect with her mask on.

Your biggest critic is yourself. Once you can get past that, who the f*** cares what anyone else thinks?

-Edit-
This profanity filter has got to go! By the sheer nature of this forum, we're all adults in here :)
-/Edit-

DammitLetMeIn

Experienced Member
Reaction score
yeah, I dunno....hairs pretty cool, espcially when you're young. but i guess as time moves on, it probably matters less an less

tbh, i think a focus on hair is symptomatic of a lack of focus on gettin on with life

p.s. i thought this was gonna be an abuse thread aimed at WoW

hair today gone tomorrow

Reaction score
Stingray said:
Ugh, I think the question should be "What WASN'T in my regimen".

Basically, I tried every main stream product under the sun. I didn't buy in to all the gypsy crap, like the Lazorbeam comb thing, elixer blends, or $#iT they advertise at 3:30am on AM talk radio. Stuff that I was using pretty much religiously was the typical Finasteride, Minoxidil, and Ketoconazole shampoo... name brand AND generics. I stuck with that mix for about 2 years with mediocre success (my idea of success was inhibiting hairloss, or a complete cessation. Regrowth would have been icing on the cake). Once things started to regress again, I jumped on the dutasteride band wagon. Personally, I had better results with Finasteride, but everyone's body chemistry works differently... I'm not touting any product over another one.

Like I mentioned, I had moderate success, but the ends didn't justify the means. I was spending a small fortune on this crap, and it just didn't seem to be working well enough to keep that hole in my pocket open any more. So I just quit everything cold turkey.

Also, I just accepted everything. I'm losing my hair... whoopdeefuckingdoo. I was the only one that seemed to care about it, so what was the point in stressing over it? It's just cosmetics. If you're unhappy without hair, you're probably just as unappealing to yourself with it. Kinda a psychosomatic thing. Like I said, though... This is just me. Cosmetics and superficiality seem like a waste of time and a marr on one's character in my eyes. If a girl thinks she's ugly without makeup and cakes it on to hide her imperfections, I find her just as unattractive and imperfect with her mask on.

Your biggest critic is yourself. Once you can get past that, who the f*** cares what anyone else thinks?

-Edit-
This profanity filter has got to go! By the sheer nature of this forum, we're all adults in here :)
-/Edit-

Thanks for your input. Lastly, when you started your treatments how old where you? how advance was your hair loss? and what type of hair loss did you have? receding? balding at the crown? or diffuse thinning? Again, thanks!

Stingray

Reaction score
I started noticing it when I was 21 years old, so it probably started when I was like 19 or so. That's the way it goes with males in my family. And to answer your last questions, yes on all accounts :). It's a curse that hit me kinda hard :p. I just get myself a high fade, skin on the sides, and get on with my life now :)

DammitLetMeIn

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Stingray said:
I started noticing it when I was 21 years old, so it probably started when I was like 19 or so. That's the way it goes with males in my family. And to answer your last questions, yes on all accounts :). It's a curse that hit me kinda hard :p. I just get myself a high fade, skin on the sides, and get on with my life now :)

Do you eat a lot of meat/fat? high-glycemic carbs?

Johnny24601

Experienced Member
Reaction score
re:

Great approach StingRay. Unlike most men on this board you (including me) you have accepted your imperfections. I really respect your empowerment.
Hope you can come home soon!

Stingray

Reaction score
I don't really consider it an IMPERFECTION, per se... There's no book that depicts a perfect human. It's the way my genes work, the way God made me... That's just the nature of nature.

I don't really watch what I eat, hairtodakljoaielkjlakjttomorrow. I eat whatever is on my plate. I believe that your body can process anything as long as you take it in moderation and exercise regularly. I go to the gym every day, take Stacker3 Metabolism boosting supplements. They seem to work to keep the weight off and keeps me amped all day long.

You shouldn't need to sacrifice everything that makes you happy just to make yourself... um... happy.

antonio666

Reaction score
hair does matter

first of all,you are a legend fighting for the western world in iraq.
but i must disagree with you that hair doesn't matter for me my hair was the thing that identified me.Both my parents had black hair ,and it made me feel connected to them ,now that i'm starting to thin rapidly my hair has become lighter and it does not suit my coloring.

hairwegoagain

Reaction score
Stingray - from Dallas, Texas, please accept my earnest thanks for your service to our country for which I'll never be able to repay.

tembo

Established Member
Reaction score
You should still try the cheap Rogaine Foam -- doesn't cause any scalp itching and drys fast.

Stingray

Reaction score
I'm in the Army, actually... but the sentiments mean the same thing. I appreciate the kind words. And it's my pleasure anyways. I love my job.

And where did the whole "rogaine foam" thing come in to play? I never said anything about it =P

Gotta love skimmers

Stingray

Reaction score
Hey man, long time no talk. How's everything going?

The Gardener

Reaction score
Hey Sting, its really good to hear from you... and I think its even better that some of the newbies get to hear your perspective on hairloss. Sometimes this place can turn into a hypochondriac feedback loop, and people need to keep things in perspective.

Take care of yourself over there. You guys are doing a solid job, especially given the shitty conditions, and I'm proud. Thanks for your service and I hope your spirits stay up.

Johnny24601

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Antonio666,
Perhaps it is you who have defined yourself as the guy with black hair. Moreover, do you not recognize the vanity of defining oneself by one's hair? I for one do not want to have my obituary read "Johnny, he died of cancer but he sure had nice hair."
The reality is that your genes have made the decision that you will not have your hair forever, so you mine as well accept it. There will be many other physiological changes as you age, have the courage to embrace them because dwelling on your imperfections will only cause anxiety and depression. It is tough to accept male pattern baldness when you are young, but in time you will learn that there is more to Antonio then just hair.