WOW, when does a Propecia shed start/stop?

G

I started propecia like last week and the shed is f*****g ridiculous. For the past week more hair has fallen out ALL OVER my head than in the past few months. I'm actually 90% sure this isn't a typical shed.. it's an EXTERMINATION.

I already tried Propecia for the same amount of time like last month and I had the same results. I'm going to stop this sh*t once and for all.

casperz

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Does everyone go through sheds?

I have never had a shed in 8 months on 1.25mg and I'm not looking forward to having one
like you describe. Good luck.

G

I'm pretty sure mines not a shed but just a sign that Propecia is very wrong for me. And please don't gimme stuff like I've only been on it for a short time and I need to wait it out for 6-12 months. This is much worse than a shed.

I'm going to try some androgen receptor antagonists like Spironolactone instead of an actual DHT inhibitor.

Lucky_UK

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I shed quite a lot, usually beginning of summmer and autumn, this is my 2nd year on finasteride and the cycles seem regular

GeminiX

Reaction score
Lucky_UK said:
I shed quite a lot, usually beginning of summmer and autumn, this is my 2nd year on finasteride and the cycles seem regular

Same here, and like everyone, it's hard to say if it's since starting the meds or not. It's just that as soon as you start taking medication you spend a few mins each morning and night checking out the new hairs, or getting ultra-paranoid when you see hairs on your brush :)

Photo diary with the same camera settings for each picture is the way to go.

cooliobeanz

Reaction score
i'd just hang in there if i were u, ride out the shed. i had a pretty nasty shed about 2 weeks into my propecia use (150+ in the shower)...i'm heading into my second month on propecia/nizoral and i lose about 10 hairs, maybe 20 on a bad day. hell i think i'm even starting to see some thickening/regrowth on my crown, the thinning area is not as large and as noticeable as it was a month ago. maybe that's just my mind, maybe it's the propecia, maybe it's a combo of both, but i'd stick it out at least 6 months before deciding to drop it. if you're really suffering from male pattern baldness you're gonna lose it all anyway, just stick with it and ride out the shed.

CD79

Reaction score
Stackz said:
I started propecia like last week and the shed is f****ing ridiculous. For the past week more hair has fallen out ALL OVER my head than in the past few months. I'm actually 90% sure this isn't a typical shed.. it's an EXTERMINATION.

I already tried Propecia for the same amount of time like last month and I had the same results. I'm going to stop this s*** once and for all.

What's the source of your Propecia dude?

I've been on it for nearly three months now and after about 6 weeks I thought my hair had had it.

I buzzed it down to about and inch or so to monitor things more closely and in the last month it's grown back in remarkably to the point where people have actually said to me that they thought I was receding before but now realise I mustn't have been.

Stick it out for at least a few months because otherwise you'll never know if it would have helped you or not.

G

cooliobeanz said:
i'd just hang in there if i were u, ride out the shed. i had a pretty nasty shed about 2 weeks into my propecia use (150+ in the shower)...i'm heading into my second month on propecia/nizoral and i lose about 10 hairs, maybe 20 on a bad day. hell i think i'm even starting to see some thickening/regrowth on my crown, the thinning area is not as large and as noticeable as it was a month ago. maybe that's just my mind, maybe it's the propecia, maybe it's a combo of both, but i'd stick it out at least 6 months before deciding to drop it. if you're really suffering from male pattern baldness you're gonna lose it all anyway, just stick with it and ride out the shed.
I think you would probably lose about 10-20 hairs normally if you were not on Propecia.

Basically I do not want to take Propecia and risk side effects unless it's going to stop hairloss completely and/or regrow back what I lost. I do not believe that the "benefits" outweigh the side effects in any way.