Would this be a correct way of classifying sheds.

G

Type A shed: Comes with an itchy, oily scalp. Caused by DHT attacking follicles and or stimulating sebacus glands which then turns into an inflammation. This is male pattern baldness.

Type B shed: Synchronized shed when lots of hair fall out for no apparent reason (no itchy, oily scalp). This is caused by the treatement be it finasteride/minoxidil or other topicals.

Type C shed: Caused by certain medication (antidepressives, kortison etc).

You could still be balding without the itchy/oily scalp but then you are probably in your late 40s and it has been an ongoing process.

need_hair04

Reaction score
what a minute... so ur saying that if you got an extremely oily scalp that itches like a b**ch accompanied by shedding that you are balding???

I got this but no signs yet of male pattern baldness this cant be true... those are the signs of sebborea which is also known to cause shedding but not male pattern baldness.

If you have some research or information regarding that DHT directly causes the formation of excessive oilyness and itching that will cause shedding PLEASE bring this up, if thats the case PROPECIA here I come (once again).....

HairlossTalk

Reaction score
It should be stated that there are more than just 3 scenarios for shedding, and it does not automatically mean you're in your late 40's if you bald without the itch. MANY men bald without itching or inflammation at all. It is just usually a telltale sign that the hormonal goings-on in your scalp are changing.

Nesta you said you were a doctor in another thread, didn't you?

"Quantitative and ultrastructural analysis of inflammatory infiltrates in male pattern Alopecia"

Acta Derm Venereol 1999 Sep;79(5):347-50.

In order to determine whether lymphocytic inflammation around the lower infundibula in male pattern baldness is incidental or a general phenomenon, we performed morphometric and ultrastructural analysis of inflammatory infiltrates in the transitional zones of the vertex and occipital hairy scalps of 19 patients with male pattern baldness. Six normal subjects served as controls. The number of inflammatory infiltrates around the follicular infundibula of the alopecic vertices and non-alopecic occiputs of male pattern Alopecia patients was significantly greater than the corresponding control value. The number of mast cells in the widened fibrous tracts in the vertices of male pattern baldness patients was significantly greater than those in the adventitial fibrotic sheaths of control subjects and the non-alopecic occiputs of male pattern Alopecia patients.

These data support the idea that the inflammatory process may be, at least in part, responsible for the development of male pattern Alopecia

HairLossTalk.com

G

need_hair04 said:
what a minute... so ur saying that if you got an extremely oily scalp that itches like a b**ch accompanied by shedding that you are balding???

I got this but no signs yet of male pattern baldness this cant be true... those are the signs of sebborea which is also known to cause shedding but not male pattern baldness.

If you have some research or information regarding that DHT directly causes the formation of excessive oilyness and itching that will cause shedding PLEASE bring this up, if thats the case PROPECIA here I come (once again).....

I know nothing of Sebborea. How do you know that you have no signs of male pattern baldness?

DHT stimulates the sebacus glands which in turn effect your follicle in a negative way - ask Bryan he knows.

HairlossTalk

Reaction score
Thought so. Your personality of saying completely innacurate things, making gross generalizations, and yet speaking them loudly and confidently with arrogance in your voice as if they were gospel truth is extremely reminiscent of 99% of the doctors I know. It scares the hell out of me.

I realize that's harsh but having engaged you in a couple other threads where you confidently spoke completely wrong info, and now feeling like I need to track your posts so that users aren't completely confused and mislead just reminded me of all the dealings I've had with doctors who do the same thing in real life.

HairLossTalk.com

HairlossTalk

Reaction score
nesta said:
I know nothing of Sebborea.

It is the very condition Nizoral was created to treat. We are actually using it "off label" to be using it as part of a hair loss treatment regimen.

HairLossTalk.com

G

HairlossTalk said:
Thought so. Your personality of saying completely innacurate things, making gross generalizations, and yet speaking them loudly and confidently with arrogance in your voice as if they were gospel truth is extremely reminiscent of 99% of the doctors I know. It scares the hell out of me.

I realize that's harsh but having engaged you in a couple other threads where you confidently spoke completely wrong info, and now feeling like I need to track your posts so that users aren't completely confused and mislead just reminded me of all the dealings I've had with doctors who do the same thing in real life.

HairLossTalk.com

Wooow!! put the nuke back in your pocket.

Listen the most probable reason why doctors don´t take hairloss seriously is because a) they see things 1000 worse b) it´s not something we read about since it´s not described as a disease.

We use finasteride to cure hairloss even though we´re not really sure of the side effects and not to mention dutasteride. I put on spironolactone ordered from regrowth.com on my head - what the hell do I know about that site? he sends the stuff illeagal to my country - I´m still crazy enough to use it.

Don´t talk about reason on this site - we lost that along with our hair.

I´m currently doing research on a small protein developed in some tissues that can explain certain aspects of vasculitis - it has nothing to do with hairloss but I want to underline that I understand what´s going on in the cell on a much deeper level then most on this site <---- most not all.

It kills me when I read posts like "is a shortage of protein bad for your hair" A situation where you are low on protein is really hard to wind up in unless you are anorectic or have some sort of metabolic insufficiency.

There are 20000 posts on sheds and I wanted to try and make people see some sort of connection between their shed and state of their scalp. Most of the time shedding will correlate with itchy/oily scalp, other times it could be caused by stress. Stress causes kortisol to be secreted and there could be a link between hairloss and kortisol which maybe would not cause itchyness.

I don´t think I´ve been offensive towards people and I do think that I´m right quite often - for instance I think I´m right when I say that a topical approach would be very benficial if you are just starting to treat your hairloss.

need_hair04

Reaction score
how do I know that I have no signs of male pattern baldness... simple, my hair is the exact same thickness all around my head, no recession no thinning of the crown and most of all the thickness of the hairs I shed are all the same thickness (no thicker on the sides then on the top)

Also about DHT stimulating the oil glands... I DO believe this however if this was the true honest case then why do people on Propecia not have a decrease in inflamation since they do have less DHT right?? This and the fact that sebborea is a condition shared by both men and women both of whom arent losing their hair... however it is nonetheless a severe problem for them as well.
Personally I have always had dandruff and really oily skin, however its severness has came back big time after ever semester of University comes along (Stess, improper diet, lack of excercise)... on summers when I am really active eat better, and most of all stress free I dont suffer from these effects.

powersam

Reaction score
hair transplant you just criticised gross generalisations and then made one yourself all in the same sentence.

Petchsky

Reaction score
PowerSam Wrote,
hair transplant you just criticised gross generalisations and then made one yourself all in the same sentence.

It would help if you highlighted the generalisation he made so others can actually see where the generalisation was made.. . i'm having trouble seeing it.

HairlossTalk

Reaction score
It was probably something along the lines of (paraphrase) "among the doctors I know, nearly every one has been an arrogant, god-complexing, misinformed person who tends to speak misinformation from a mountaintop like it were gospel truth".

But then ... that is just a factual statement. Not a gross generalization. That has been my experience. Fortunately i used the term "the doctors I know". I do know a couple doctors who are not like this.

Usually at legitimately research oriented hospitals here in san diego like UCSD and Scripps, you'll find some impressive physicians. The most impressive ones I've run across were ER doctors. Absolutely will blow you away. They literally know everything about everything. My GP and every GP ive ever had would cower next to these guys in the knowledge department.

I once had a Urologist who was evaluating me for 6 weeks of testicular inflammation and non-bacterial UTI after 3 years of Propecia use tell me: "Im going to level with you. Being a doctor is about 5% science and 95% guessing. Its moreso an art"

Surprisingly, that doctor earned my respect instantly. Anyone who can admit they're just guessing, with the information they have available to them, and can admit when they're wrong without copping a 'tude ... will get my respect. Not surprisingly this same doctor not only welcomed, but enjoyed when I would fax him the latest info on finasteride and its effects on the Urinary Tract, testicles, and Testosterone production that I'd found.

Not all doctors are like my previous post. Just most. And I will stick with that quantification until the day I die, probably from misdiagnosis. :D

Just a side note. I got strep throat last week. Internet said treatment is 500mg twice a day for 10 days. Doctor told me its 500mg three times a day for 12 days. When I got my prescription, the pharmacy had incorrectly put 500mg four times a day for 10 days on the bottle and filled it with the wrong amount.

Need I say more?

HairLossTalk.com

Scuffernoose

Reaction score
It kills me when I read posts like "is a shortage of protein bad for your hair" A situation where you are low on protein is really hard to wind up in unless you are anorectic or have some sort of metabolic insufficiency.

nesta, if the post you are referring to is the one i made about what could happen to your hair if you were deficient in protein, then you didnt read it completely. i understand that more than likely most people get adequate protein in their diet, even if they eat grilled cheese sandwiches all day. but i am a case where my body is losing an abnormal amount of protein in my urine. i didnt think anything of it untill i had definately noticed that the quality of my hair (hair diameter) has gotten worse on the top as well as areas male pattern baldness is not supposed to effect like the sides, back, eyebrows and eyelashes. it still could be my body just losing hair because it hates hair, but i am now wondering if i should be blaming some of this on a deficiency. i dont have a great diet (quatity wise), so i wonder if that could complicate the problem.

i think most people should understand that only extreme cases of bad diets could cause a deficiency, but i am an exception because mine is caused by kidney function.