Would Love Some Honest Treatment Advice

Kevin Egan

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi,

I am 29 years old, and have experienced noticeable hair loss for about 2 years now. I have been using a HairMax laser comb for about the last year (and have seen 0 results), and have been using Argan Oil Shampoo by Maple Holistics for about the last year (and have also seen 0 results). I tried Propecia and Minoxidil, but they both gave me very bad side effects (i.e. headaches and feeling anxious/jittery when taking them), so I stopped their use. I even experienced similar side effects when using PURA D'OR Anti-Hair Loss Gold Label shampoo, which has led me to the conclusion that my body does not tolerate DHT-blocking mechanisms well. At this point I can honestly say that my hair continues to get thinner and thinner every day, and I can't seem to find anything that will either stop the shedding or reverse what's already been lost. I had a consultation with the Hair Club, but it seemed that their primary treatment method was Minoxidil, so I decided not to pursue anything further. Right now I am considering Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) therapy, since from what I understand it does not use DHT-blocking mechanisms, but also wonder if I should give Propecia or Minoxidil another try and see if the side effects will eventually wear off (I have taken them both for about a week before I stopped usage due to side effects). Obviously, I don't want to spend more money than I have to, but I would also consider a transplant. Thank you for hearing me out, and please I would welcome any advice on what you would do if you were me.

Hair 3.jpg
Hair 2.jpg

Alk

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Wouldnt bother with prp, re try finasteride at .25 mg a day or u can try dutasteride. If no results in eight months or you have sides then stop until sides are gone and then try minoxidil. Dont try them at the same time or you wont know what gives results or is giving you sides. If finasteride isnt for you then try dutasteride or ru.

dralex

My Regimen
Reaction score
PRP therapy is a HUGE waste of money from what I have heard. Minoxidil is either hit or miss. Works insanely well for some and none at all for others. Propecia is really the only treatment that is very effective for most people at the moment. I would give propecia another go. These sides may be partially mental if your feeling it from even using an anti hair loss shampoo, which probably isn't even reducing serum dht levels (they're super ineffective). Also if you want to get a transplant you will probably need to jump on propecia anyway, because if you don't you will continue to lose the hairs in the male pattern baldness areas. Thats why Lebron James's hairline got so fucked up again, because he got a transplant without a dht blocker and lost the rest of his hair.

Kevin Egan

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. What makes you think PRP is a huge waste of money? I am fairly certain that finasteride give me bad side effect. Do people that do not cope well with finasteride usually do better on dutasteride?

shookwun

Reaction score
PRP is modern day snake oil.

my as well donate that money if you are planning to throw it away.
:rolleyes:

Kevin Egan

My Regimen
Reaction score
That seems to be what everyone says, but there are also a lot of plastic surgeons that say it does work. Has anyone had success or known someone to have success with it?

dralex

My Regimen
Reaction score
I am fairly certain that finasteride give me bad side effect. Do people that do not cope well with finasteride usually do better on dutasteride?
If finasteride gave you bad side effects then your out of luck there. You could try using a lower dosage until you build a tolerance, possibly starting at .1-.25mg every other day. And if you experience sides on finasteride you will almost definitely experience sides on dutasteride. And those sides won't go away right when ceasing use, because the half life is like 5 weeks, and can suppress DHT levels for over a year after stopping use. Could try just minoxidil if you want. Some lucky few have insane results on the stuff.

Notcoolanymore

Reaction score
Unfortunately we only have 3 things that work for hairloss:

1. Finasteride
2. Minoxidil
6s4bsj.gif

Kevin Egan

My Regimen
Reaction score
Right now I am prescribed 1mg of finasteride. Have people been prescribed it in smaller dosages, or should I just get a pill cutter and cut them in fourths? And has anyone seen any positive results from a laser comb?