Would it be wise to give finasteride another shot?

Sir Guy of Frizzbourne

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm just thinking about it right now, but if spironolactone does not work for me, I may give finasteride another chance. Would this be a bad idea? I got the loss of libido the first time around and I'm thinking if I start again, I may just have to come back off again. Could going on and off finasteride cause me to just lose more hair overall than just not starting again? That's what I did with Pr0cerin and that seemed to ditch my sides with that. Would a month of finasteride be a good idea to jump-start spironolactone results even if I can't continue the finasteride? I'm also worried I had a shed from my brief experience with finasteride, but that may have also been due to switching from liquid minoxidil to the foam. Any suggestions? My spironolactone is at the post office and will be available tomorrow.

Jm0311

Reaction score
how long did u have sides for? the whole time? what was your dosage? I do not take finasteride myself but why dont u try .25 or .25 eod or something?

Sir Guy of Frizzbourne

Established Member
Reaction score
I started with 1.25 mg (1/4 fincar). I started getting sides around the 2 week mark I think. I tried taking it every other day as well as taking 6ths, which was about as small as I could get them. By the end (about 1 1/2 months into treatment) I was taking 1/6 every other day, but I did not stick with that for very long because I had basically no libido left, maybe even getting worse, and was scared shitless of losing it forever. I know the sides were real, although I also think my late night job causing me to lose sleep played a small part as well. My biggest fears of starting again would be a) another shed and b) if it actually works and I permanently lose my libido later down the road.

UK1

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I'd give it another chance, lots of people including myself have had to ride out a side or two before settling into it.

Sir Guy of Frizzbourne

Established Member
Reaction score
Did you feel like you lost basically all your sex drive? How long did it take to return? Are you at all worried the sides will return in the distant future for good?
Would it be worth it to see how spironolactone and minoxidil work without it, or am I just setting myself up for disappointment?

Sir Guy of Frizzbourne

Established Member
Reaction score
Thanks. I used to think working out might help to keep testosterone up, but I dropped finasteride before I could find out if that was really effective. I just took about 1/8 of a fincar today. I'm gonna try to build myself up to finasteride like I did with pr0cerin. I can't stand looking at myself in the mirror anymore. I've been thinking, if I had never stopped, I'd be approaching the 3 month mark about now. I really think it's not too late for me to have a nice head of hair, assuming I can stay on finasteride. I hope I'm not making a huge mistake. I guess if I stay with this, I won't be able to give an accurate evaluation on my spironolactone. Sorry guys.

Jm0311

Reaction score
yea im in the same boat.....i am only on my first week and my libido has gone down the drain. and very runny semen...not sure if i want to ride this out. i would not want anything permanant to happen?

all you long time finasteride users! did u have this at first? how long after did your libido get back??????????????????

Sir Guy of Frizzbourne

Established Member
Reaction score
From what I've heard around here, it can be a couple months, although I wouldn't call most of these guys long term finasteride users. Most of them have been on the drug for less than a year or not much longer. All the "horror stories" I've heard about permanent sides have been from people who have taken it for several years.

Jm0311

Reaction score
are you staying on finasteride? im not sure if i want to. I havent had a boner all day.....which is odd for me

hairhaircomeagain

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I started Proscar 10 days ago. Yesterday even after trying for 45 minutes I was not able to c*m. I was not even gettin close to cumming...I am taking 1/4 Proscar. Today I am having difficulty even getting a boner. I dont think I am taking it today or maybe ever. I have lost a lot of hair recently, however its not worth playing with my manhood.

Jm0311

Reaction score
spironolactone

dont know about Foam. i dont want my hair to be dependant on it. i heard some crazy stories of there hair getting worse that before on it....and i also heard good stories so idk.

With the finasteride. I can get an erection. just not as often now

Pondle

Reaction score
hairhaircomeagain said:
I started Proscar 10 days ago. Yesterday even after trying for 45 minutes I was not able to c*m. I was not even gettin close to cumming...I am taking 1/4 Proscar. Today I am having difficulty even getting a boner. I dont think I am taking it today or maybe ever. I have lost a lot of hair recently, however its not worth playing with my manhood.

You aren't giving it long enough. You should keep taking it for a month or so at least, there's a good chance the sides will cease. This is from the detailed drug information...

Integrated analysis of clinical adverse experiences showed that during treatment with PROPECIA, 36 (3.8%) of 945 men had reported one or more of these adverse experiences as compared to 20 (2.1%) of
934 men treated with placebo (p=0.04). Resolution occurred in men who discontinued therapy with PROPECIA due to these side effects and in most of those who continued therapy. The incidence of each of the above adverse experiences decreased to ≤0.3% by the fifth year of treatment with PROPECIA.

Sir Guy of Frizzbourne

Established Member
Reaction score
I've already started finasteride again. I've been on it for just a few days now. I'm taking a little over .5mg a day so far (1/8 fincar). I'm thinking I can keep my dosage low, maybe even go every other day, at least for now since I'm using spironolactone and minoxidil as well. I feel the sides returning a little, but if they get too bad I may just try taking days off when I need them instead of quitting all together. I think the spironolactone will keep me from losing hair during those off periods.

Jm0311

Reaction score
is it finasteride to take days off and raise and lower your dht level? does that effect your hair? Doesnt finasteride raise your testosterone? and isnt your front hair more supceptable to this? i dont get that? im only receding in my temples...hmmm

Lorenzo_91

Established Member
Reaction score
Honestly I wish I would of started a long time ago on .5 but now it's to late and I will take 1mg forever.