Would I Be A Good Candidate For hair transplant?

Mook

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey guys I've been using minoxidil and I got some improvement. Am I still a poor candidate? Thanks.

Wow Man, your donor area really thickened up and so did the top, congrats, the hair is definitely longer in the second pictures but you can still tell the hairs thickened up. From those pictures, you're in way better shape for a decent hair transplant, BUT you're going to have to use minoxidil or finasteride indefinitely after the hair transplant because judging from the first pictures, your donor hairs are susceptible to thinning. Did you apply monoxide directly to the back? usually DUPA doesn't respond well to treatments but clearly yours did.

If i were you, I wold get a dense pack FUT, as many grafts as you can afford, and then either use concealer on the crown or a partial hair piece. Then since you did FUT, you'll have some donor hair saved for the future if you want to fill in the crown.

Last edited:

doubleindemnity

Reaction score
Wow Man, your donor area really thickened up and so did the top, congrats, the hair is definitely longer in the second pictures but you can still tell the hairs thickened up. From those pictures, you're in way better shape for a decent hair transplant, BUT you're going to have to use minoxidil or finasteride indefinitely after the hair transplant because judging from the first pictures, your donor hairs are susceptible to thinning. Did you apply monoxide directly to the back? usually DUPA doesn't respond well to treatments but clearly yours did.

If i were you, I wold get a dense pack FUT, as many grafts as you can afford, and then either use concealer on the crown or a partial hair piece. Then since you did FUT, you'll have some donor hair saved for the future if you want to fill in the crown.

It didn't seem like such a good improvement to me, but I guess it is. Judging by the photos, there's no doubt about it. It's just frustrating because I don't have any styling options now that I didn't have before. I really wanted a combover or combover + concealer, but I can only buzz. I applied minoxidil to the whole affected area, including the thinning area on the back. Maybe the systemic effect hit the donor area or maybe some of it dripped down. I'm 6 months into minoxidil but have only been using it once per day, around 1.5-2ml per day.

But, doesn't minoxidil stop working eventually (maybe in 5 years)? And, when that happens wouldn't the donor hair thin and wouldn't that ruin the transplanted hairs too? Also, isn't FUT a ad idea in this day and age because it means that you can't buzz the hair short if everything goes wrong? That's what Fred always says.

Mook

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
It didn't seem like such a good improvement to me, but I guess it is. Judging by the photos, there's no doubt about it. It's just frustrating because I don't have any styling options now that I didn't have before. I really wanted a combover or combover + concealer, but I can only buzz. I applied minoxidil to the whole affected area, including the thinning area on the back. Maybe the systemic effect hit the donor area or maybe some of it dripped down. I'm 6 months into minoxidil but have only been using it once per day, around 1.5-2ml per day.

But, doesn't minoxidil stop working eventually (maybe in 5 years)? And, when that happens wouldn't the donor hair thin and wouldn't that ruin the transplanted hairs too? Also, isn't FUT a ad idea in this day and age because it means that you can't buzz the hair short if everything goes wrong? That's what Fred always says.

In my opinion, the worst FUT looks better than the worst FUE, if you're really worried about the scar, then yes, fue would be better, but in my humble opinion, I still think FUT yields the best results and its cheaper. As far as the min not working down the road and if you're hair would fall out, thats something that a transplant clinic would have to evaluate based on the quality of your donor hair which they can look at magnified.

doubleindemnity

Reaction score
I have another question. If I get a hair transplant, will all of the hairs there now be shock lossed away? I was told by a practitioner- before I was told that I'm a bad candidate for a hair transplant - that they'd give me a higher hairline and that I might consider shaving off the hair in front of the new hairline.

Pequod

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Just try a half dose of finsteride to see, since you aren't overweight chances are you will be fine on it. It actually gives a testosterone boost.

doubleindemnity

Reaction score
Just try a half dose of finsteride to see, since you aren't overweight chances are you will be fine on it. It actually gives a testosterone boost.

No way. I'm afraid. We all know the studies that show that even 20% of a dose gives close to the full anti-androgenic effect. Thus, the same potential for side effects will be there with a smaller dose. I'm worried about the permanent side effects.

doubleindemnity

Reaction score
Hey guys I had my hair length approximately the same as it was in the original photos and took some more pics with wet hair. Has there definitely been an improvement regarding my donor situation? Or am I still a bad candidate? I'm now looking for any FUE so that I can either buzz short or wear a combover. My main concern is positioning of the new hairline, shock loss of existing hair (each hair is precious and being maintained by minoxidil), and the bald crown looking unnatural, especially from the back. Anyway, here are the photos

Thanks for any help!

Attachments

• 1 jpeg.jpg
    1 jpeg.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 681
  • 2 jpeg.jpg
    2 jpeg.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 602
  • 3 jpeg.jpg
    3 jpeg.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 664
  • 4 jpeg.jpg
    4 jpeg.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 620
  • 5 jpeg.jpg
    5 jpeg.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 604
  • 6 jpeg.jpg
    6 jpeg.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 609
Last edited:

Murkey Thumb

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
It i were you I would carry on with the Minoxidil and add RU to the regime as its obvious that you are a good responder to meds. RU wont give you the sides that finasteride does. Give it another 6 months to see what happens then take a view from there. From your original pictures I would not advise a transplant yet.

Ronchuck

My Regimen
Reaction score
Get on topical finasteride and hair transplant will not give you full coverage unless you will also use some body hair/facial

doubleindemnity

Reaction score
Just go for it,you probably cant restore everything but at least you will have,hair on front and top,and leave crown thin.Still 100x better than fully bald.

Will the existing hairs in the recipient region all fall out due to shock loss? If that happens, will I still have more hairs in the NW6 area than I have now? I'm worried that I could go backwards because of the shock loss.

follicle2001

Established Member
Reaction score
I think you could have a frontal/top restoration and leave your crown alone and it would be worth it for you. If I were you I would do FUT. Find an experienced surgeon.

doubleindemnity

Reaction score
Hey guys I want to go for it. It's been around 5 months since those photos and I've approximately maintained. Will post photos when I can.

Which doctors should I consider? There's a certain doctor that worked on a certain prolific user here and I was having difficulties getting an online consultation from him/her. Could somebody PM me and assist me if they know how I'd be able to get a response? I don't want to name any names.

Rahul123

My Regimen
Reaction score
FUE hair transplant is best option fopr you or you can get BHT hair transplant if you have less donor region on the head.

J.P. Walia

My Regimen
Reaction score
if you are living a healthy lifestyle and not addicted to smoking and drinking alcohol habits then you can proceed for hair transplant surgery.

allofyouarecrazy

My Regimen
Reaction score
I've attached my photos. I know that I will not get full density, but I want a result like this

http://www.footmercato.net/images/a/guardiola-veut-a-tout-prix-prolonger-keita-et-alves_48628.jpg

http://www.nationalturk.com/en/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/Pep-Guardiola-stress-nationalturk.jpg

What would happen with my natural hairline if I get a procedure? Will the hair transplant follow it or will the new hairline be set higher? I was worried that my natural hairline is too low for a hair transplant. Thanks for your help.View attachment 49115 View attachment 49116 View attachment 49117 View attachment 49118

Is this still how you have your hair?