Would finasteride show up on a drugs test for a Pro Athlete?

CM24

Reaction score
Hi there. I started using ''The Big 3'' a couple of months ago and although I haven't seen results yet, I haven't lost any more hair either. It's a massive relief knowing my hair won't get any worse than this for the foreseeable future. I just wish I had started using them earlier.

Now, I have a younger brother who also has a receding hairline. I'm going to tell him to get on the same regimen. Problem is, he's a professional rugby player and would be subject to occasional drug testing.

Does anyone know whether or not Finasteride could cause him to fail his drugs test? I know it can have a very small effect on testosterone but it wouldn't put him anywhere near above the normal range. Assuming he gets a prescription for it and tells the testers about it, would it be fine?

cthulhu2.0

Established Member
Reaction score
I don't mean to be rude but this is not one of those questions to be asking on a hairloss forum but maybe the organization who is administering the drug test. It all depends on the strictness of the agency, and yes, finasteride raises testosterone by 12% on average.

Reaction score
It used to be a banned substance, but it has since been removed from the list of banned medications by the WADA. They were worried that finasteride was being used as a masking agent.