Would A Failed Transplant Still Have Stubble?

Alex820

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hello, all,

I'm considering a transplant. I've read on here about transplant hairs falling out during a shedding phase. When a transplant hair sheds or fails to take, is that it, and the place where the hair follicle(?) was goes back to being bald, or would there still be stubble? I'm sure it's a daft question, but my thinking is if my transplant didn't go as I wanted, I could probably tolerate a shaved head with a great, youthful hairline, such as how guys look immediately after they've had their transplant.

Rocknroutlaw

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I think even if you keep your head closely shaved, there is likely to be an appearance of 'gaps'. Please feel free to see my posts here:
https://www.hairlosstalk.com/intera...-sanga-3567-grafts-today.119007/#post-1803686
The 2 months update photos also show the progress at 1 month post procedure.It did look quite gappy.
Also I believe it is not recommended to shave using a razor or a clipper with attachment at least for a while. You may have to have it cut free-hand.
With that said, keeping it buzzed during the ugly duckling phase does look better than having contrasting lengths. My goal is to grow it all out, so that was not an option.

Alex820

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks, man.

It was kind of hard to tell if it was gappy or not. Whenever I've seen guys with ''failed'' transplants the hair line always seems intact. I've seen guys whose transplant failed but now they have a shaved head with a perfect hair line. I just wondered if that was possibly kind of a safety net.

Rocknroutlaw

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I think a good way to think about it is to see one of the 'failed' threads of someone who had only the temples done, then think about how it would look if you shaved it down to a few mm....the mid section will appear visibly more dense than the temples, much like typical male pattern baldness.
Also if you look closely at the number zero cut guys, it is still not difficult to see whether they are actually bald or shaved from a full head of hair. All in all, I'd say a failed transplant will simply appear like male pattern baldness.

Alex820

My Regimen
Reaction score
Good points. Thanks. I'm still none the wiser on the whole question of whether a failed tranplant means a failed hairline, though, gotta be honest :D

Rocknroutlaw

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
For typical male pattern baldness in the temples, the difference is likely to be slick shiny bald in the temples before transplant and sparsely located hair in the temples after transplant which isn't enough to give you the perception of coverage.
If you shave it down, it does appear less obvious ...
but you should aim high - stabilise your hairloss, choose a reputable surgeon, and follow all post-op care procedures, then hopefully you won't have to consider shaving it down.

Last edited: