Worth me casually using minoxidil to complement finasteride, or not?

blizeH

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I've just ordered a large supply of finasteride (Propecia) that I intend to use of course on a daily basis.

Whilst consulting the GP about it, he informed me that this will *not* help recover any hairs with regards to frontal hairloss, and recommended that using minoxidil may help.

Now, that's fine, I'm wondering, is it possible to use minoxidil for 6 months to a year, and then stop, and the finasteride will help retain those hairs? If I'd have to carry on with the minoxidil, I don't think I'll bother, as I don't want to become a 'slave' to the product.

Also worth noting I'd be using it fairly casually; applying only once a day (unless I could apply at 5pm and 11pm?) and stopping whenever I go go on holiday or a short break.

Any advice on this would be great, thanks guys.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
blizeH said:
Now, that's fine, I'm wondering, is it possible to use minoxidil for 6 months to a year, and then stop, and the finasteride will help retain those hairs? If I'd have to carry on with the minoxidil, I don't think I'll bother, as I don't want to become a 'slave' to the product.

You're new around here, aren't you? :) It's been widely reported and discussed on hairloss sites that finasteride isn't very good at retaining hairs grown with minoxidil. In fact, here's a scan of an actual case history that was reported in a medical journal (scroll down a bit to the second study):

http://www.geocities.com/bryan50001/finasteride-minoxidil.htm

Notice how they say near the end that EVERY ONE of their patients who were using Rogaine along with Propecia lost hair when they later dropped the Rogaine, but continued taking the Propecia.

blizeH said:
Also worth noting I'd be using it fairly casually; applying only once a day (unless I could apply at 5pm and 11pm?) and stopping whenever I go go on holiday or a short break.

Once a day is probably only a little less effective than twice a day.

blizeH

Reaction score
Oh damn it, thanks Bryan - I was being a bit overly optimistic there wasn't I? :)

Will check that study as soon as I get home, but seems I already know the results now I guess.

Think I'll use finasteride for now and not worry about any minoxidil based treatment. I know it sounds like I'm being lazy, but I really don't like the idea of being tied to something like that, you know? At least with finasteride it's a fairly hassle free, and mess free solution.

Just a shame that means any hairs I've lost won't have any chance of coming back, boo :(

HT55

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I would use Rogaine foam along with Propecia, i have had GREAT results including the hairline.

Trust me from once you see some regrowth you'll look forward to using the rogaine every day.

I would use the foam twice a day from hairline to crown and use enough to cover it all as the 1/2 capfull they reccomend is not nearly enough if you have a decent amount of hair