Worth Doubling dutasteride Dosage To 1mg, Experiences? Opinions?

JDW

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Alright guys, have been on a combo of 1mg finasteride and 0.5 mg dutasteride for ages, still shedding like a motherfucker.
The next option in my mind that I'm going to work through is doubling the dutasteride dosage to 1mg a day, worthwhile? has anyone had any experiences on 1mg dutasteride?
Thanks in advance

Afro_Vacancy

My Regimen
Reaction score
These drugs have flat response curves. Going from 88% effectiveness to 89% effectiveness isn't going to save you.

Once 5AR blockers have failed, you have to look into totally different treatments.

JDW

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
the frustrating thing is that nobody knows how well it is working, i.e if I wasn't taking them at all would I be in a much worse state or the same as now?!

RU58851 doing the job for you, how much do you spend on it a month?

cheers

Dench57

My Regimen
Reaction score
These drugs have flat response curves. Going from 88% effectiveness to 89% effectiveness isn't going to save you.

Once 5AR blockers have failed, you have to look into totally different treatments.

dutasteride doesn't have a flat response curve.

Afro_Vacancy

My Regimen
Reaction score
How about form .5 to 2.0mg

You remove (3.0 +/- 3.9) % of your original DHT.

So if you were at 93% DHT inhibition, you shift to (96 +/- 3.9) % DHT inhibition.

There's very little DHT in your body at that point, so your problem is probably not DHT.

JDW

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Yeah i seem to remember a graph plotting different dosages?

JDW

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
ScreenShot2013-06-13at32235PM_zpsaea0c3b0.png

Dench57

My Regimen
Reaction score
Here we go again.

"The results of this study also highlight the importance of scalp DHT in the pathogenesis of MPHL. The 2.5-mg dutasteride dose was consistently superior to 0.5-mg dutasteride in promoting scalp hair growth. The 2.5-mg dose was also better than the 0.5-mg dose at suppressing scalp DHT (79% vs 51%), whereas it was only marginally better at suppressing serum DHT (96% vs 92%). This difference in the dose-response of serum and scalp DHT to inhibition with dutasteride is likely to be due to the greater contribution of type 1 5a-reductase to scalp DHT concentrations."

"The present study included a larger number of subjects and showed a complete dose-response for DHT suppression ranging from 26% in the 0.05 mg dutasteride group to 79% in the 2.5 mg dutasteride group."

Afro_Vacancy

My Regimen
Reaction score
Here we go again.

"The results of this study also highlight the importance of scalp DHT in the pathogenesis of MPHL. The 2.5-mg dutasteride dose was consistently superior to 0.5-mg dutasteride in promoting scalp hair growth. The 2.5-mg dose was also better than the 0.5-mg dose at suppressing scalp DHT (79% vs 51%), whereas it was only marginally better at suppressing serum DHT (96% vs 92%). This difference in the dose-response of serum and scalp DHT to inhibition with dutasteride is likely to be due to the greater contribution of type 1 5a-reductase to scalp DHT concentrations."

"The present study included a larger number of subjects and showed a complete dose-response for DHT suppression ranging from 26% in the 0.05 mg dutasteride group to 79% in the 2.5 mg dutasteride group."

That's interesting, the response curve of scalp DHT is not flat even as that of blood DHT is.

Also interesting that finasteride first saturates the skin and then the blood, whereas dutasteride does the opposite.

Dench57

My Regimen
Reaction score
That's interesting, the response curve of scalp DHT is not flat even as that of blood DHT is.

Also interesting that finasteride first saturates the skin and then the blood, whereas dutasteride does the opposite.

Scalp DHT mostly comes from 5AR1 which is inhibited dose-dependently by dutasteride (whereas 5AR2 is ~95% nuked with 0.5mg)

Johnmpb

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
JDW,
I remember your posts from a long time ago. How has your hair held up?

Also how's your scalp health? I think scalp.health plays a much bigger role than people think

Korean Wave

Reaction score
If DHT isn't the issue than what else would it be?

My older brother is losing his hair rapidly and is on no treatments. I have taken 0.5 legit dutasteride and am also losing my hair, just at a slower rate.

I think the DHT is just too aggressive. Would adding finasteride help?

whatevr

My Regimen
Reaction score
Scalp DHT mostly comes from 5AR1 which is inhibited dose-dependently by dutasteride (whereas 5AR2 is ~95% nuked with 0.5mg)

If one were to use a 5AR inhibitor topically seems like dutasteride would be the way to go ?

JDW

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
JDW,
I remember your posts from a long time ago. How has your hair held up?

Also how's your scalp health? I think scalp.health plays a much bigger role than people think

Hi yes it seems like a long time ago that I joined, just shows how much of your life gets taken up with this battle.
I've basically been consistently losing it for years, I assume the treatments have slowed it down more than if nature had taken its course 100% but of course theres no way of telling.

Went through a bad shed last year and then over the last few months suddenly which really hit density. So am back on here looking to try what I can, doubling dutasteride dose may be one option.

cheers

JDW

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
What is hard is the shed every morning, I can literally run my hands hrough my hair every morning and well over 100 hairs come out easily, that's 3-5 every time i run a hand through hair...really need to bump this regimen up and fast. If anyone has any suggestions? RU? etc that would be great