Worst balding ever (18.5 y/o)

Diffuser44

Banned
Reaction score
I'm thinking of stopping all this hairmedication, i've been thinking a while now and i just dont like the fact that im spending much money on things like minoxidil and finasteride.Although the doctor gave me permission to take finasteride, im not going to do it, i emailed her today asking for advise and her experience with patients using finasteride and i got the following answer "the treatment i prescribed to you does have side effects in some cases, but under supervision of a doctor this can be done, they also use the same treatment in the university hospital".

So basically she's telling a customer that he should do it because they do it somewhere else too?Although my bloodtest was "positive",t his seems a little vague to me. Anyway, i might turn back on my decisions but for the moment im not pressured to put my health on risk by taking medication where i dont know if it will even work. By the way, i think this video is really interesting, it shows alot of information on finasteride and the downsides of it. http://www.propeciasideeffects.com
One of the articles on that site "the not so hard truth about hair loss drugs", was written by Mickey rapkin. He takes finasteride and has admitted it in one of his later articles.

The information out there is petrifying. There needs to be more studies on it. All we know is there are in fact men that testify that finasteride has ruined their lives. Whether it was actually scientifically caused by the drug, their psyche from reading horror stories or some other causes we don't and won't know. I can tell you that I have done fine since quitting. I took it long term since the age of 18 and quit after 7.5 years of use. But I won't lie. I quit because these stories scared me. They still scare me. And I have real people telling me that they are very real for them. But it's not a majority of users. The people I contacted were people that had come into the forums to say that they were quitting after long term use. Not a lot of people after they quit are going to stick around on hair loss forums.

Vpelli

Reaction score
One of the articles on that site "the not so hard truth about hair loss drugs", was written by Mickey rapkin. He takes finasteride and has admitted it in one of his later articles.

The information out there is petrifying. There needs to be more studies on it. All we know is there are in fact men that testify that finasteride has ruined their lives. Whether it was actually scientifically caused by the drug, their psyche from reading horror stories or some other causes we don't and won't know. I can tell you that I have done fine since quitting. I took it long term since the age of 18 and quit after 7.5 years of use. But I won't lie. I quit because these stories scared me. They still scare me. And I have real people telling me that they are very real for them. But it's not a majority of users. The people I contacted were people that had come into the forums to say that they were quitting after long term use. Not a lot of people after they quit are going to stick around on hair loss forums.
Is it a risk worth taking then? I figured if im already balding right now i will go bald anyway at some point in my life, but i just want to keep a decent head of hair until i hit 26 years old or something, because right now it does affect my selfesteem and the way people look at me. (I already have been told by a girl that i know for 2 years now and also by my close friends that i suddenly have a lot less hair)

headless

Established Member
Reaction score
Listen to your body! I'm bumped out because I didn't start when I was your age. I regrew some hair with finasteride & minoxidil, but you can still tell I'm balding. Luckily I'm not the only one in my group of friends, and I stopped the hairloss. They are getting worse everyday and I'm keeping whatever I still have. And trust me, when your 26 it will still effect your self esteem. I'm using finasteride for about 7 months, no sides what so ever. Just a few people noticing my hair got darker and fuller. I'm really happy, don't let the stories worry you!

Diffuser44

Banned
Reaction score
If you wait to long and decide to take it later on you wish you had started earlier. They are currently researching post finasteride syndrome as we speak. There may be an article issues later this year on the results. I'm anticipating them saying that there is no real cause of Pfs and it is mostly psychological (in the persons head) then actual physiological (evidential in hormones).

If they do find a genetic predisposition then that would be awesome. I mean, I've read stories of families saying their family member committed suicide on Flonase before. A nasal steroid. There are probably other post syndrome drug hysterias out there like accutane and adderal. And there is anti depressants causing suicides. Pretty ironic. I think propecia help might be one of the biggest non scientific scare sites out there. It's original intention was probably easy money for lawyers.

Nonetheless men are committing suicide and so that is a concern. Obsessing over propecia help doesn't help them. Had I known all of the information out there today I would have never started. Knowing that all of that information just might be a load of crap I would consider and am considering retaking the drug.

der29

Established Member
Reaction score
your hair is pretty thick though. my father was a Norwood 3 at 20 and still has the same hairline, thick hair at 52. so who knows but at least get a script for 2% nizoral and check your hair every month.

Vpelli

Reaction score
Listen to your body! I'm bumped out because I didn't start when I was your age. I regrew some hair with finasteride & minoxidil, but you can still tell I'm balding. Luckily I'm not the only one in my group of friends, and I stopped the hairloss. They are getting worse everyday and I'm keeping whatever I still have. And trust me, when your 26 it will still effect your self esteem. I'm using finasteride for about 7 months, no sides what so ever. Just a few people noticing my hair got darker and fuller. I'm really happy, don't let the stories worry you!
The stories do scare me indeed, but right now i think my hair loss is getting less excessive (6 months ago i could pull 3-5 hairs every time i went with my hand trough my hair, right now i dont notice as much hair, maybe 5-10 on my hands when shampooing and 5-10 on the towel when i dry it). When i ask my brother/sister about it they both say that they dont notice anything of my hairloss. Ive always had a high hairline, i cant tell if its a high mature hairline settling or just male pattern baldness, left side receided about 1.5 inch and right side more like 2inch. Anyways i dont think that it will stop because my hair overall is dry/brittle/frizzy and i notice a huge difference in hair quality when i compare the hair on the back of my head to the hair on top/ front, hair in the back is denser and thicker.

- - - Updated - - -

If you wait to long and decide to take it later on you wish you had started earlier. They are currently researching post finasteride syndrome as we speak. There may be an article issues later this year on the results. I'm anticipating them saying that there is no real cause of Pfs and it is mostly psychological (in the persons head) then actual physiological (evidential in hormones).

If they do find a genetic predisposition then that would be awesome. I mean, I've read stories of families saying their family member committed suicide on Flonase before. A nasal steroid. There are probably other post syndrome drug hysterias out there like accutane and adderal. And there is anti depressants causing suicides. Pretty ironic. I think propecia help might be one of the biggest non scientific scare sites out there. It's original intention was probably easy money for lawyers.

Nonetheless men are committing suicide and so that is a concern. Obsessing over propecia help doesn't help them. Had I known all of the information out there today I would have never started. Knowing that all of that information just might be a load of crap I would consider and am considering retaking the drug.
It is a tough choice, i cant predict the future, but given my dads NW4-5 and my current hairstate and hair shedding last 6 months, i can guess that im going to be nw3 in a year or so. But on the other hand i feel like its slowing down, might be an illusion. The problem is that when the shedding just gets worse etc i will probably hop on finasteride, but in that case i would have been better of by just starting taking finasteride right now. Also once on finasteride you have to keep taking it and stopping it brings a major shed right?

- - - Updated - - -

your hair is pretty thick though. my father was a Norwood 3 at 20 and still has the same hairline, thick hair at 52. so who knows but at least get a script for 2% nizoral and check your hair every month.
Its not that thick, my hair blows like crazy in the wind, its curly/frizzy and dry and i never really could tame it lol. Your father is pretty lucky then! Mine had nw4 at 28 years old and still has it now at 54, it has turned gray also which makes the bald top less noticeable, it actually doenst look too bad now

Vpelli

Reaction score
Buying finasteride this weekend definitely, quick update: right side is receiding and thinning, my left side is still prettymuch nw1.5-2, but right side is really going hard. image.jpg This is pic of right side

stop dht

Established Member
Reaction score
Dude u need some min for corners that The only ground on my scalp which min made great improvements and temple peak can make your hair cosmetically better even if u wontt use min anywhere try in that areas

Vpelli

Reaction score
Dude u need some min for corners that The only ground on my scalp which min made great improvements and temple peak can make your hair cosmetically better even if u wontt use min anywhere try in that areas
I used min for 4 months or so, only noticed a bigger shedding and stopped using it like 1 month ago

Vpelli

Reaction score
image.jpgUpdate, still losing around 10-20 hairs when showering, cant see any in the towel though. Also losing some density in the front of my hair, currently receided approx 0.5-1 inch at the front, almost 2 inches on the right side of the picture, 1-1.5 on left side.

stop dht

Established Member
Reaction score
Hmm dude your temples looks gone too hard for some regrowth in that area but u still have too much hair so just go finasteride and maintain what u have and pray god for some new hairs and do not ****ing lose time not a single day . Dont waste time like me i spent 2.5 year with nothing cost me around %50 density on some areas

Vpelli

Reaction score
Took my first finasteride pill today, 1mg/ day, will come back here every month or so to post progress pictures

Vpelli

Reaction score
2 weeks in, crown of head looks thin, will probably have a baldish crown by the time i hit 19 or something, no sides from finasteride at all, at a dose of 1mg a day they are very uncommon, i expected loads of things to happen when i started taking (as i read alot of stories about the medication), none of it happened. Heres a picture of my crown, and my right side has receided alot, left side not that much but i can see small hairs all over my hairline (dont know if its a sign of regrowth or minituarisation aka balding)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 247

Dark Link

Banned
Reaction score
crown of head looks thin

It looks better than your earlier photos... No way you could possibly have results from 2 weeks of finasteride use. If anything it will get worse before it gets better.

Vpelli

Reaction score
It looks better than your earlier photos... No way you could possibly have results from 2 weeks of finasteride use. If anything it will get worse before it gets better.
Its different lighting and im lucky to have curly hair, covers it more. Anyways it is indeed to early to expect something, but meh, just throwing that picture in as a reference for the future :). Thanks for the reply!

Vpelli

Reaction score
Im noticing A LOT of small hairs on my hairline, in the front as well as at the temples, about 20 at each side, and 10 at the front of my hairline.