Worrying Shed 8 months on Rogaine

8dp16

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I began using Rogaine last March and experienced the usual shed for about 6-8 weeks. I was started to get a bit of regrowth and my hair was looking pretty decent by July. However starting in mid July I've undergone an absolutely brutal shed. I'll loose between 100-300 hairs per day, sometimes a little more or less. Currently as we approach the end of September, the shed hasn't shown any signs of letting up. Overall hair density has decreased significantly with my crown and vertex almost completely made up of thin hairs. I've attached two photos for reference. One from about a week after the shed started in July and one from Today (9/21) I would love to get everyone's thoughts.

I am only on minoxidil and apply religiously every day and night, I've only missed it maybe twice
IMG_3193.jpg July
IMG_3497.jpg Sept

Rudiger

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
I could be wrong here but I thought shedding on minoxidil wouldn't normally happen after 3 months maybe, and less likely is if you already went through a shedding period. It is worrying because months further down the line I think its unusual to then get a second shed, and it's unlikely that this is the positive moment that you're losing hair to then gain hair.

Everyone's different and you may just be going through a 2nd shed, I'm no expert on every situation, but I don't see why you shouldn't jump on finasteride anyway, even if it's a good 2nd shed, and more importantly, if it's not.

8dp16

Reaction score
Thanks for the response guys. I've avoiding finasteride thus far due to potential side effect, but will consult with my dermatologist due to my situation. My current situation mirrors my initial shed due to the sudden nature in which is started and the volume of loss. Prior to starting minoxidil, my loss was noticeably lower although still rather aggressive. About 24 months ago I had thick hair, genetics are a b**ch haha.

Rudiger

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
We need a sticky thread in the General forum about the myth of finasteride sides.

Jayik1

Reaction score
im currently only using rogain as well. Just terrified to make the plunge into finasteride

Blessed99

Reaction score
Thanks for the response guys. I've avoiding finasteride thus far due to potential side effect, but will consult with my dermatologist due to my situation. My current situation mirrors my initial shed due to the sudden nature in which is started and the volume of loss. Prior to starting minoxidil, my loss was noticeably lower although still rather aggressive. About 24 months ago I had thick hair, genetics are a b**ch haha.

You should check out my thread on my Minoxidil experience - basically Minoxidil ruined my hairs on top. Replaced my thick hairs with thin hairs that always shed. I was a user of Minoxidil since 2012, I have dropped Minoxidil almost a month now, I'm only on Propecia. I have not experienced any shedding since quitting so far.

Schitz Popinov

Established Member
Reaction score
This is also happening to me after 1 month in and I am worried that I made the wrong choice. It really did a number on the top of my head and temples.

2suun

Reaction score
How is your hair today? My shed also started around that period, and never stopped until today :/

Adman

Reaction score
Yes, I'd like to know too. Are you still using Rogaine and are you still shedding?

I've been using Rogaine solution twice every day since February. Things seem to be going great – my hair had stopped falling out and I'd had a quite lot of regrowth – until the middle of September. One day my hair started shedding again and it has done every day since. At first I was hopeful that it might be the start of another round of regrowth, but now it's been falling out for nearly 3 months and I'm losing hope.

Grigory

Reaction score
It's completely OK to have a shed after 7-11 months after you started Min/finasteride treatment.