Worried, Hair Is Shedding Worse After Staring finasteride.

plzgrow

My Regimen
Reaction score
I have been on finasteride for 11 days now but my hair seems to be shedding worse, my head is itchy too. Im worried wy this is happening and I was hoping my hair would stop falling out by now :(

Is there a reason for this?

I'm 32 and my hair loss as been gradual over the last 2 years but with diffuse thinning at the crown and spreading to the front. I was hoping staring finasteride would stop this but a lot of hair still seems to be falling out.

equel

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Same here friend, finaseride for like ... 3-4 weeks now and IM SHEDDING LIKE MAD, not only top of my head but sides, back .. everything! I feel so f*****g bad right now

Maxima

My Regimen
Reaction score
I hope so!
I have my doubts so I quit finasteride for now. I've been off for about a month and still shedding. I scrapped my hair.

Rapido1234

My Regimen
Reaction score
Are you guys stupid? Can you do a little bit of research before quitting one of the only things that will ever work for you? Early shedding is a sign that finasteride will work for you. Your hair needs to shed the bad hairs to make room for the new ones. If you don't want to regrow your hair, then just stop taking it and let male pattern baldness take over.

Maxima

My Regimen
Reaction score
Are you guys stupid? Can you do a little bit of research before quitting one of the only things that will ever work for you? Early shedding is a sign that finasteride will work for you. Your hair needs to shed the bad hairs to make room for the new ones. If you don't want to regrow your hair, then just stop taking it and let male pattern baldness take over.

Dude it's an unwanted reaction. I was on it for 5 years. Propecia is not suppose to make your hair fall. The reaction is telogen affluvium. Did my research and saw 3 derms. The hair will probably grow back but hair takes time, lots of it. Can't afford to be like this for a year and that is if it grows properly.

Rapido1234

My Regimen
Reaction score
Dude it's an unwanted reaction. I was on it for 5 years. Propecia is not suppose to make your hair fall. The reaction is telogen affluvium. Did my research and saw 3 derms. The hair will probably grow back but hair takes time, lots of it. Can't afford to be like this for a year and that is if it grows properly.

Are you even reading what you are typing?

jack martin

My Regimen
Reaction score
Been on Propecia for 3 years. I noticed starting a month ago that my shedding increased drastically. Could it be seasonal? Can hair still shrink and die from DHT, if I am on finasteride?

I have been on finasteride for 11 days now but my hair seems to be shedding worse, my head is itchy too. Im worried wy this is happening and I was hoping my hair would stop falling out by now :(

I'm 32 and my hair loss as been gradual over the last 2 years but with diffuse thinning at the crown and spreading to the front. I was hoping staring finasteride would stop this but a lot of hair still seems to be falling out.

Don't worry, finasteride causes shedding in the beginning, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. It has to do with the effect that finasteride has on the hair growth cycle - do not stop taking it. It takes between 6-12 months for finasteride to work properly so give it time, and try not to stress out too much in the mean time!

Peace out

equel

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

Alright cool, but why is it such a very common reaction then? Seems like so many guys are shedding in the beginning of finasteride it has now become more like a concensus: "u will probably shed on finasteride" - so if its not supposed to happen, why does it happen so very often?

Rapido1234

My Regimen
Reaction score
Alright cool, but why is it such a very common reaction then? Seems like so many guys are shedding in the beginning of finasteride it has now become more like a concensus: "u will probably shed on finasteride" - so if its not supposed to happen, why does it happen so very often?

Don't argue with that guy, he's sorta insane. Shedding is very common and it is a sign that the treatment is WORKING. Your hair needs to push out the old sickly hairs to make room for new ones. The reason so many people think it made their hair worse is because they quit before it started showing its effectiveness, thus only knowing about the big shed at the beginning. Do your future self a favor and put up with it for a few months.

dralex

My Regimen
Reaction score
Don't argue with that guy, he's sorta insane. Shedding is very common and it is a sign that the treatment is WORKING. Your hair needs to push out the old sickly hairs to make room for new ones. The reason so many people think it made their hair worse is because they quit before it started showing its effectiveness, thus only knowing about the big shed at the beginning. Do your future self a favor and put up with it for a few months.
Untrue. Shedding isn't necessarily good or bad. I started shedding massively 3 months into treatments (finasteride and minoxidil). Stayed on them for 2.5 years. Never recovered after the shed and continued to lose hair. Shedding is not always a good thing, especially if it is accompanied by irritation and increased scalp itch.

DGARCIA694

My Regimen
Reaction score

Hello.

I took finasteride for about 2-3 months. My hair started shedding like an absolute b**ch and what used to be a commentable thick head of hair is now slightly see through. I have since been off the drug for a week, and I've gone from losing 50 hairs a day to about 5-6.

In my opinion finasteride comes with a hell of a lot of emotion as you make up side effects in your mind, wonder if th and drug is working, constantly look at forums.

The easiest way to deal with balding is to accept it. Nature is beautiful and balding is natural. People are attracted to what's inside.

I came to terms with the fact I will one day be bald last week. And I feel wonderful!!! No more long looks in the mirror, engaging with other people to a greater extent, focusing on being happy and appreciating all the small things in life. The cup is, after all, half full.