worried about shedding

MrBlonde

Reaction score
Hi, I've just joined these forums as I'm becoming increasingly worried about shedding when washing my hair.

I'm 35, still with a full head of hair, although I have *very slight* loss at the crown (maybe on average that kind of situation is pretty much expected for a lot of guys my age?). The hair on the top of my head has been very gradually thinning over about the past 2-3 years, although you cannot see any of my scalp just by looking at it (I have quite thick hair). I'm noticing now though, that my hair on top *seems* to feel noticeably less dense. Ive just noticed this after recently having my hair cut quite short. Maybe it's just gradually thinning as part of getting older like I say, and maybe I'm just getting too paranoid. I dont really know what to think for sure. It's never really caused me that much concern up until now, as I've just thought the slight thinning is simply just a natural part of getting older.

Anyway, over the past few months when washing my hair I've noticed a few hairs lurking in bath down below at my feet as I've been standing up to wash my hair in the shower. Over the past week or so I've started monitoring this more closely by putting the bath plug in for the duration of washing my hair, then afterwards trying to count (or at least have an educated guess) at how many hairs have been shedded. I only wash my hair twice per week as I have quite dry hair. The last two washes Ive lost around 130 hairs each time. Is this cause for concern if I only wash my hair twice per week (every 3-4 days)? i.e. if it's ok to lose 50-100 hairs per day, yet I only wash my hair say, every 3 days, then *if* I washed my hair *every* day, then I'd possibly only be losing a third of that amount each day right?? Or is wrong to look at it like that...?

Just to give you more of an overview of my situation, I lose a few hairs whenever I wet my hair and run my hand or a comb through it (say about 5-10), but running my hand through it when dry I don't really lose any, nor when combing it through dry. Also, each moring when I wake up there are around 10 hairs on my pillow. Some days a bit more, some days a bit less.

I'd just like to know if all this is cause for concern as it's worrying me no end right now and I'm getting quite badly depressed about it. The shedding when washing hair my hair is obviously what's worrying me the most.

Anyhow, I would be very grateful for any response. It would be much appreciated. :)

Thanks.

Finnjävel

Established Member
Reaction score
First of all, you should wash your hair daily with a normal shampoo, and use nizoral roughly twice a week. That way you keep your scalp in optimal condition for healthy hair growth.
Washing your hair doesn't cause hair loss. If the strands are loose on your scalp, they will detach no matter what. I suggest you get nizoral and finasteride asap.