Worried about my crown (23M)

davesmith420

My Regimen
Reaction score
I think it's just your part/cowlick. If the first picture is your hair when wet you are fine IMO.

Illusions

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
No way - the patch is slick bald in the second pic, and at least the size of nickel. Definitely hair loss.

No hairloss whatsoever, it's from point blank range with a flash on the camera so of course there's going to be some scalp showing that's only natural.

davesmith420

My Regimen
Reaction score
No way - the patch is slick bald in the second pic, and at least the size of nickel. Definitely hair loss.

That is honestly just his cowlick. Plus if he was thinning in his crown it would be SUPER visible in the picture with his wet hair.

I just recommend keeping an eye on it, take pictures of it every 3 months or so.

biddybomb

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Dude, young men do not have that much scalp showing, cowlick or not. You're asking a bunch of older balding men - of course they're going to say you're fine, because compared to them, you are. They don't remember how thick a young man's hair is suppose to be.

If you THINK you're losing hair, then you almost certainly are. And remember: By the time it's visible to the naked eye, the hair loss has already advanced significantly.

Get on minoxodil. When it gets worse, get on finasteride and Nizoral. Or do nothing, then come back here in a few months and ask the question you already know the answer to again, hoping for a different response.

I have to respectfully disagree. I think the majority of men have cowlicks that look just like that. Many men who are not losing their hair have it far worse too.

sirap

Reaction score
Dude, young men do not have that much scalp showing, cowlick or not. You're asking a bunch of older balding men - of course they're going to say you're fine, because compared to them, you are. They don't remember how thick a young man's hair is suppose to be.

If you THINK you're losing hair, then you almost certainly are. And remember: By the time it's visible to the naked eye, the hair loss has already advanced significantly.

Get on minoxodil. When it gets worse, get on finasteride and Nizoral. Or do nothing, then come back here in a few months and ask the question you already know the answer to again, hoping for a different response.

yea no, I have seen young people with very visible hair whorls, even some children, it varies heavily, this does not look like hairloss to me

hairlossman11122

Reaction score
That is honestly just his cowlick. Plus if he was thinning in his crown it would be SUPER visible in the picture with his wet hair.

I just recommend keeping an eye on it, take pictures of it every 3 months or so.

Will do!

- - - Updated - - -

Why does thinking I'm losing hair makes you say that I am?

Austin:316

Established Member
Reaction score

Actually very young people can have that much scalp showing at the crown. I was looking out my friend's second story apartment window and a kid of about 14 walked past below and he had a cowlick bigger (more scalp showing) than the guy in that picture. There is nothing wrong with that crown. Nothing at all, man.

science_d

Established Member
Reaction score
http://m.imgur.com/Gi8elJ6,n3649jR,fh8WpvF,5ffYcOr

Is this just my swirl or is my crown thinning?

It does seem to me that it is slight thinning and possibly the onset of hair loss. However, you're in pretty good shape right now. I would just monitor it and if it appears to thin (or, more importantly, widen), then you can consider treating it.

That is pretty much what my crown looks like right now, and has been that way for over a year, despite not using minoxidil or finasteride during that time period. However, the thinning on the front and top has continued to progress.