World’s first anti-ageing drug could see humans live to 120

resu

Reaction score
Scientists believe the common diabetes drug metformin could hold the secret of long life and want to start a groundbreaking human trial in 2016

The world’s first anti-ageing drug will be tested on humans next year in trials which could see diseases like Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s consigned to distant memory.Scientists now believe that it is possible to actually stop people growing old as quickly and help them live in good health well into their 110s and 120s.
Although it might seem like science fiction, researchers have already proven that the diabetes drug metformin extends the life of animals, and the Food and Drug Administration in the US has now given the go ahead for a trial to see if the same effects can be replicated in humans.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/sci...ageing-drug-could-see-humans-live-to-120.html

Pretty incredible, soon you'll be able to live up to 120 as a bald man, ain't it great?

whatevr

My Regimen
Reaction score
Extending lifespan is not the same thing as halting aging.

Would that mean living to 120 at a biological age of 20? Great, sign me up.

Or would that mean just extending the aging process so you can get even older and more degenerated ? Then **** no.

crowcrow223

Reaction score
Good thought, once damaged cells they're very hard to repair, so it just looks like an extended life with ever more deteriorating cells

xapato

Reaction score
If metformin can also prevent or hold off dementia, then maybe it's a good idea to take it.

Then again, I've heard that metformin can cause or accelerate hair loss.

Reaction score
Any bad side effects known? Is this drug approved for diabetes? Diabetes is so bad, I'm sure bad side effects would be considered acceptable. What animals had a better life span? Those fed tons of sugar?

fallicle

Reaction score
Extending lifespan is not the same thing as halting aging.

Would that mean living to 120 at a biological age of 20? Great, sign me up.

Or would that mean just extending the aging process so you can get even older and more degenerated ? Then **** no.

the page does say that "if successful it would mean that a person in their 70s would be as biologically healthy as a 50 year old". Their explanation is that the drug pumps more oxygen into cells which boosts longevity and robustness somehow

Reaction score
It has been around a long time. It reduces glucose production by the liver. It reduces diabete's related complications. So, they picked a study group of old people with diabetes to give it to and show that it makes them live longer by reducing said complications. That does not sound to me like an anti-aging pill for the general population. Why not give it to healthy people.

Digidako

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Good thought, once damaged cells they're very hard to repair, so it just looks like an extended life with ever more deteriorating cells

Thats where a telomerase activator would show high efficacy.
I won't bore you with the science, but if you're interested google search telomerase and telomeres.

Cancer cells have found a way to become immortal, the only problem therein is that cells that are cancerous grow and divide uncontrollably.

Ori83

Experienced Member
Reaction score
who the **** wants to live to 120 anyways

latenight

Reaction score
What would it be like to be someone living in a time where aging is completly halted at w.e age you wish. But at some pre determined time in the future (mandated by government) you will be put to sleep, as a measure to control population overgrowth.

Imagine at 21 years old you chose to stop aging. You would face your fate with all of the emotions and mindset of a 21 year old. Absolutly terrifying. Probably more so than just "you never know when its your time".

shookwun

Reaction score
lemme know when we have a drug that slows down the process of aging, and we still manage to look youthful in our older years.

Austin:316

Established Member
Reaction score
I think as time goes by there will be scientists who discover how to make a human live for 500 years or whatever, but it won't reach the general public because it will be quashed or withheld by the leaders of the world and with good reason: if we were all living for hundreds of years the world would become detrimentally overpopulated. It's already overpopulated as it is. I think if anything they'll pour more time into trying to shorten people's lifespans than lengthen them.

I.D WALKER

Reaction score
Ha ha! Science can just give me back my live hair extensions and maybe then I'll be more than happy to engage in lifespan extensions.

shookwun

Reaction score
Ha ha! Science can just give me back my live hair extensions and maybe then I'll be more than happy to engage in lifespan extensions.

Science has innovated ways of restoring your hair then an X-matrix known as strand-by-strand hair Restoration.

A modern day toupee.

I.D WALKER

Reaction score
I wore a system for several years and maneuvered with moderate ease.
May have 2 revisit it if the spring developments turn out a complete bust.
Science has innovated ways of restoring your hair then an X-matrix known as strand-by-strand hair Restoration.

A modern day toupee.

jumpinggreedy

Reaction score
Yes! I have read about this medicine for anti-aging and if it proven effective then it could probably good for those already in their old ages. I think, this will launch a trial also for those who have Alzheimer and Parkinson diseases.