Wondering if I Got Scammed?

sonny74

Reaction score
I've had 9 hair transplants over the course of 20 years. I just had one this week, the first one in 15 years. Back when I started they did smaller session which is why I had so many.

Anyway, I supposedly had 2,500 hairs grafted for $7300. The first consultation I addressed my concerns of the hairline, a spot in the crown and an area in the middle. I was told it could all be done for 1,000 hairs and that I wouldn't have to worry about doing any more again.

When I went back to verify everything I readdressed my concerns and this time the guy said, oh no you'll have to have 2,500 hairs grafted. He gave me a pretty good deal so I thought it would be cool.

The day of the surgery the consultant wasn't there and I met with the surgeon. I went over everything with him and filled him in on the conversation I had with the consultant. He said there wouldn't be enough hair to do what I wanted to do. I was kind of miffed but here I was about to go into surgery and had already paid all the money.

I get into surgery and they do the hair line and the back of the head but nothing in the middle. In addition, the surgeon is punching holes in my head like a machine gun. I had never had it done like that before. Would this damage my existing grafts? Also, I just have a suspicion that I didn't get 2,500 hairs. I tried to count the punches and there's no way he did a 1,000 punches in the front (that was number we agreed upon). In the back it's hard to tell how many are there.

Of course my hair is much thinner a day after surgery, I'm guessing from shock loss. Maybe I'm being paranoid but wondering if I got what I paid for? If the techniques he used were effective, and if the area they didn't transplant will regain it's thickness?

Hoping for a good result but am very nervous as I don't really have any more hair to donate from the back.

Would 2,500 hairs cover a decent area? BTW, he told me he got extra and it ended up being around 3,500.

Notcoolanymore

Reaction score
It's just amazing that you guys are finalizing the game plan the day of the surgery. You would think all that would be finalized, explained and agreed upon before the day of surgery.

swingline747

My Regimen
Reaction score
That's my point. I met with them 2x to make sure we were on the same page.

unfortunately you wont know for quite a while and the problem with this is even if they did less theyll just say it didnt grow.

Luckily I didnt have to pay for mine up front until the moment I signed the final paperwork like 20 mins prior to surgery. There was a small deposit but that was it.

I also know they did more than we agreed upon. Will it grow? Who the fawk knows at this piont. Im starting to see some hairs now. Some thicker some small vellus hairs. Is it all coming in at once? No, will it all come in? who knows. I can only keep up a good attitude about it, keep in contact with the Doctor and hope he honors his garunteed work, which he keeps reinforcing.

My advice to you, contact the Doctor. Perhaps through email. I do all my contact with him through email. I feel you get a more precise thought out answer, and there is something of a written trail to have for records and back referancing.
Be open with him, tell him your thoughts without being accusatory. If he feels like you are already preparing some kind of action he may stop contacting you.

Be cool and he should be cool with you. My Doctor is awesome and I think he actually looks forward to my stop ups because
1) Im such a rare case to him and it interests him
2) we joke around a bit so theres some comfort there.

Ask him (in email) what the numbers were and if the shock loss can happen that fast. Ask him for some time frames, and if things arent looking as expected what backup plans there are. Does he garuntee his work?

Can you use body hair? Luckily my chest is SUPER hairy, as my legs, and arms. Oddly my facial hair (the best hair transplant candidate) is the only one I have thats not great.
Just my luck I guess.