WNT signalling pathway study,,,,,,,,,,,,Cure?

michael barry

Reaction score
http://www.pnas.org/cgi/reprint/102/41/14653.pdf

To make a long story short, they shoot up mice with this and SKIN CELLS turn into hair cells. Mice get more hair than they ever had even when they were young because skin in between hairs "turn into" hair cells (by the way, hair cells are just specialized skin cells).

It will have to be studied to make sure it doesnt cause cancer, then go through three phases of trials after pre-clinical trials, then a ten month review process. Talkin' 6 years at the very very least. Probably 10-12 (my opinion) if all goes well.

docj077

Reaction score
I don't think we can use this in humans. The Wnt pathway is a pro-growth pathway. It activates B-catenin, which controls the expression of pro-growth genes like c-myc.

You're just asking for cancer.

This is a dead end.

michael barry

Reaction score
I'd imagine much like Curis, this is something to be "turned on" and quickly turned off as soon as the growth commences for fear of carcinoma.

They are gonna test it in mice then apes then us before pre-clins would even begin. A decade away even if everything went well. But it IS interesting info however.

DP

Reaction score
why a decade away? everything is always 10-15 years away - do you think it's one of those findings that sound exciting but just end up going away?

hedgehog_info

Reaction score
Realistically

This is my opinion about this pathway and its potential for therapy in hair loss

The Wnt pathway along with a few other embryonic pathways help to create a hair follicles from immature cells. So if somebody’s hair follicles died then you would want to create hair follicles this is the route to take. I guess it is sort of like HM but would probably be a lot faster.

The Hh pathway (Wnt’s sister pathway), does not create new hair follicles rather it kicks any hair follicles into the growth phase. Such as in Alopecia. This is what Curis along with P&G are hoping to do. At first they were seeking to develop this treatment for patients with chemotherapy when their hair fell out. However, they both think now that they can develop it for Alopecia and other hair follicle cycling problems.

Both of these pathways when turned on for an extended period of time WILL cause cancer. About 1/3 to ½ of all cancers have these pathways turned on abnormally. I honestly don’t think that a topical application will cause a pathway to be turned on continuously but you have to use caution.
It should also be noted that Wyeth pharmaceuticals are developing a Hh agonist for stroke patients. This treatment will use a oral Hh agonist which IMO is more risky then a topical Hh agonist. They have noted side effects in the Oral Hh agonist. The two side effects were abnormal growth in the intestines and hair growth.

sphlanx2006

Experienced Member
Reaction score
hedgehog_info, michael barry sees that being released 6 years at best probably 12 years. What time frame would you give if you had to take a rough guess?

hedgehog_info

Reaction score
Any body's guess. IND in just under a year. The hair will grow fast but I guess it really depends on how they conduct the clinical trial and how long the FDA wants them to wait to see if any people develop abnormal proliferation.

I would probably say the michael barry is correct but it is still to early.

DP

Reaction score
help me better understand the benefit of this curis product if it comes out... would it be a replacement for propecia or rogaine? or would it be something to add to your regimen?

hedgehog_info

Reaction score
Hi DP,

Curis product will kick any resting hair follicle into the growth phase. It will be a replacement and you probably won't need any other treatment. However, if you have a lot of damage to your hair follicle and it doesn't work well such as maybe a burned victim then you will probably need HM and curis product won;t work. However depending on HM your hairs will probably fall out again and you will need curis's product to kick the HM follicles back into the growth phase.

Regardless of the treatment curis;s product will need to be used every time your hair doesn't go back into the growth phase you have more shedding then growth.

Hope this helps. I don't know that much about HM so i might be wrong on that aspect.

DP

Reaction score
it does help... quick follow up though ... so it doesn't do anything to "dead" follicles - it will be more of a maintanence drug correct?

hedgehog_info

Reaction score
DP said:
it does help... quick follow up though ... so it doesn't do anything to "dead" follicles - it will be more of a maintanence drug correct?

Dead as in the hair follicle will never work any more and is in eternal peace? Then nothing will work.. :)

I believe people with alopecia don't have dead follicles, at least that is what P&G hope.

I would GUESS that people would have to use P&G/Curis treatment every 2-5 years. Their treatment would probably be a 1 time topical application. But this is all a BIG GUESS. All assuming clinical studies go well

DP

Reaction score
I believe people with alopecia don't have dead follicles, at least that is what P&G hope.

Soo maybe i don't fully understand how male pattern baldness works... i should by now huh.. correct me if i'm wrong - when male pattern baldness occurs, doesn't the hair follicle shrink (minitiurize) until it grows hair that is no longer visible to the naked eye? what is a dead follicle then? would that only be the result of burning or serious damage to your scalp?

back to the original question & miniaturization... so let's say the curis product does work - will the product help increase the size of the hair follicle?? or is there something else im really missing here?

Apoc

Established Member
Reaction score
Did Curis even try their cure on the male pattern baldness affected folicles? As far as I know they only tried it on a mice.

hedgehog_info

Reaction score
They have done a study with fetal scalp tissue. It was more of a concept study. They also have stated during presentations (no a published report) that human hair when growing has the Hh pathway turned on. When not growing it is turned off.

IMO hair that is damaged by fire/chemical/environmental...ect and won't grow back because of the trauma (even with Hh agonist, these patients probably will need HM). Curis has stated that P&G thinks that they can over come miniaturization and turn these follicles into health bodies again.

Hopefully it will be in the clinic in a year and should see results about 10 days after a topical application. However, before that there should be some revolutionary news about Curis and Cancer treatment.

BTW I am no expert in Hair and Alopecia (as you can probably tell). I just have a broad knowledge of the Hh pathway and it's therapeutic potential.

Cheers, and have a happy new year :fun: :fun: :pint: :pint: