Witch box is the right color?

Curly2bald

Established Member
Reaction score
After a bad experience with 5% foam I had decided to stop using rogaine but now 6 months later my hair looks worse than ever...so I decided to give rogaine 2% liquid a try.

Now I'm trying to order off ebay and I get 3 different boxes for the same product and I'm wondering witch one is the right one: black(I see the same box for 2% and 5%), green or blue/black?

solidus

Reaction score
Yes I would like to know aswell.
What is the difference between the blue and black box?. They are both 5%?

solidus

Reaction score
I use the foam for my temples, thinking of using the liquid for the crown because I would think it would be easier to apply.
Yes I know there is a Blue plastic box for the foam. But checking ebay etc for the liquid, there are two types, Black and Blue
Maybe one is the newer package?

What problems may I ask did you have did the liquid?

Rogaine3_enlarge.jpg

Rogaine.jpg

itr0952

Reaction score
Okay, we all know the foam version. Foam is out of the context.

What's the difference between the Black Liquid Bottle vs the Blue Liquid Bottle? I have used both, in the past, and I found that the black version is much more effective.

Did they stop making the black liquid version anymore? All I found on ebay is the expired black ones.

Blue version is useless, and foam is even more useless.

Anyone know what they stop making the black box version of Rogaine?

itr0952

Reaction score
History
Minoxidil was first used exclusively as an oral drug (trade name Loniten) to treat high blood pressure. It was, however, discovered to have the interesting side-effect of hair growth and reversing baldness, and in the 1980s, Upjohn Corporation produced a topical solution that contained 2% minoxidil to be used to treat baldness and hair loss, under the brand name Rogaine in the United States, and Regaine in Europe and the Asia-Pacific. Treatments usually include a 5% concentration solution that is designed for men, whereas the 2% concentration solutions are designed for women. The patent on minoxidil expired on February 13, 1996.[1]

In 2007 a new foam-based formulation of 5% minoxidil was shown to be as effective as the liquid-based treatment for male pattern baldness, which is preferable for most men.[2]

Wow, I am so stupid.... so the blue one is 2%, why the hell does it say 5% topical solution then? so confusing.... errr. I have been using it for over 3 months, and still losing hair as a result.

beaner

Reaction score
What are you people talking about? Both the blue and black box are 5% liquid Rogaine. The blue box is the newer box and not very probable that it's any different or less effective than the 5% Rogaine in the black box. That's just silly. It's a box.

itr0952

Reaction score
beaner said:
What are you people talking about? Both the blue and black box are 5% liquid Rogaine. The blue box is the newer box and not very probable that it's any different or less effective than the 5% Rogaine in the black box. That's silly.

You would think it's the same, I did too until i used them... Black box ones are so much more effective than the blue box ones.

I am not able to buy the black box ones anymore, the ones sold on ebay are all expired.. :(

beaner

Reaction score
itr0952 said:
beaner said:
What are you people talking about? Both the blue and black box are 5% liquid Rogaine. The blue box is the newer box and not very probable that it's any different or less effective than the 5% Rogaine in the black box. That's silly.

You would think it's the same, I did too until i used them... Black box ones are so much more effective than the blue box ones.

I am not able to buy the black box ones anymore, the ones sold on ebay are all expired.. :(

I've used both. They work the same for me. It's just a different box with the same exact product in the bottle made by the same company. I truly can't fathom why one would be less effective for you. It makes no sense.

itr0952

Reaction score
beaner said:
itr0952 said:
beaner said:

I've used both. They work the same for me. It's just a different box with the same exact product in the bottle made by the same company. I truly can't fathom why one would be less effective for you. It makes no sense.

Very interesting..

It might just be a mental thing... but I feel the black box version is much stronger, my scalp feels very itchy after i applied it. Blue box version not itchy at all.

Do you know if they stop making the black box version?

beaner

Reaction score
itr0952 said:
It might just be a mental thing... but I feel the black box version is much stronger, my scalp feels very itchy after i applied it. Blue box version not itchy at all.

I'm pretty sure that the black box has been phased out and if you can find it anywhere it's probably not very fresh. (I have seen it on Ebay) Buy some Kirkland minoxidil--it's made by the same company that makes Rogaine and it comes in a black box if that makes you happy. You can get a 12 month supply on Ebay for about 60 bucks.

itr0952

Reaction score
beaner said:
itr0952 said:

I'm pretty sure that the black box has been phased out and if you can find it anywhere it's probably not very fresh. (I have seen it on Ebay) Buy some Kirkland minoxidil--it's made by the same company that makes Rogaine and it comes in a black box if that makes you happy. You can get a 12 month supply on Ebay for about 60 bucks.

Thanks for your recommendation.
BTW, for you regaine, you do know on the label it does say different things.

One says "Extra Strangth" (black) other said 5% Mixodil Topical solution."

beaner

Reaction score
itr0952 said:
beaner said:
itr0952 said:

One says "Extra Strangth" (black) other said 5% Mixodil Topical solution."

It's just different wording to go with their new blue box. 5% minoxidil is the extra strength version. Trust me, I've been using minoxidil for over 6 years and the contents of those two boxes is identical in every way, and if you go with a generic version you can get it dirt cheap and it's still the same product with a different label.

itr0952

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure that the black box has been phased out and if you can find it anywhere it's probably not very fresh. (I have seen it on Ebay) Buy some Kirkland minoxidil--it's made by the same company that makes Rogaine and it comes in a black box if that makes you happy. You can get a 12 month supply on Ebay for about 60 bucks.[/quote]

One says "Extra Strangth" (black) other said 5% Mixodil Topical solution."[/quote]

It's just different wording to go with their new blue box. 5% minoxidil is the extra strength version. Trust me, I've been using minoxidil for over 6 years and the contents of those two boxes is identical in every way, and if you go with a generic version you can get it dirt cheap and it's still the same product with a different label.[/quote]

What you said made me feel a little better, but i am going to follow my instinct if I see black ones for sale, I buy those, otherwise i will just buy the blue ones.

thx