Will's Story

WilliamHung

Reaction score
Wassup Hairloss Family. Ive been on here for a few years now. I decided to post to see what new products and treatments may help out my current situation. I started to see my hair thinning as a teen (21/22 now im 26). I was dealing with acne and was prescribe accutane. When i saw that one of the side effects of accutane was hair loss i stopped taking it. The dermo then put me on propecia. I was on propecia for a few years, i think from 2000-2003. My hair stopped thinning and i noticed small hairs growing. Then i added rogaine to my regimine and noticed more hair growth. When my prescription for propecia ended i order proscar online and began taking that. But lately i notice that my hair is thinning more and i want to know what i should try to make it stop. My current regime is........

Monoxidil 5%( Equate brand)
Proscar 5mg (ordered from Elite Pharmacy) note: Im not cuttin the pill up, im just chewin a small piece off every two days
Suave Thickening 2in1 shampoo/conditioner (i shampoo about once every week or two, i have long hair)

My mother thinks i should stop taking proscar, what do you guys think. Here goes some pics that i took tonight

100_0527.jpg

100_0510.jpg

100_0525.jpg

100_0531.jpg

100_0518.jpg

G

i think you should replace your Proscar with Dutasteride(Avodart brand name). it's a stronger dht inhibitor and if you are thinning substantially while on proscar it makes sense as the next step to stem your loss.

WilliamHung

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply fellas. Im goin to look into avodart, but damn i just bought 60 pills of proscar. biglemoncoke - Ive been thinkin about cuttin it short, but im scared it will reveal more hair loss. When i put a part in my hair like on the first pic, u cant really see.

G

Nizoral shampoo 1-2 times a week and Dutasteride as Jayman recommended. Some copper peptides such as Tricomin spray might help as well. Good Luck to you!!

biglemoncoke

Established Member
Reaction score
IBM said:
I expect to get enough money to buy dutasteride. I'll try that to see.

ibm, i couldn't find your story, have you had any sucess with the minoxidil 5%?

WilliamHung

Reaction score
Hey guys is there a store i can get some spironolactone 5% cream or do i have to go online? I saw on minoxidil.com its about 30 bucks for two ounces, is this a good price? Let me know some good places to find it. THanks alot

By the way, im taking proscar every other day, is that ok or should i go back to taking it every day. Ive been on it for almost 2 years now

WilliamHung

Reaction score
UPDATE*******************

I just recieved my 5% topical spironolactone from this site today http://www.cemproducts.com/index2.html. And i just applied it tonight. This stuff smells horrible, is there anything i can add to it to dilute the smell. If this is the case i will only be able to apply it at night. Well im excited about the new treatment, i will keep the board up to date with new changes.

Trebor

Reaction score
I use to have long hair, and I found that after I started thinning that it looked more obvious that I was starting to bald than when I have short hair.

Long hair tends to stick together, or clump together, or something. When it is shorter it is fluffier... covering more area.

Just my opinion though.

iamnaked

Experienced Member
Reaction score
WilliamHung said:
UPDATE*******************

I just recieved my 5% topical spironolactone from this site today http://www.cemproducts.com/index2.html. And i just applied it tonight. This stuff smells horrible, is there anything i can add to it to dilute the smell. If this is the case i will only be able to apply it at night. Well im excited about the new treatment, i will keep the board up to date with new changes.

Yeah- make sure you don't apply the minoxidil and spironolactone at the same time - they react which is what causes the smell. I tend to apply minoxidil in the morning and spironolactone in the afternoon.

WilliamHung

Reaction score
iamnaked said:
Yeah- make sure you don't apply the minoxidil and spironolactone at the same time - they react which is what causes the smell. I tend to apply minoxidil in the morning and spironolactone in the afternoon.

Thanks for the advice iamnaked, but this stuff stinks right out the container, i woke up this morning and still smelt it on my head and it makes my hair hard like gel. What have others done to deal with this prob?

CCS

Reaction score
I don't know what the place you bought your spironolactone from makes it with, and how much of each they use, so I can't tell you what is wrong. I do know that minoxidil reacts with spironolactone and will make a horrible smell if they are mixed, and will still sink a bit if you apply them together. spironolactone is most stable at a pH of 4.5,or 4.3, which happens to be your scalp pH. If it is at a different pH, it will break down sooner, and I don't know how soon. If you can get some pH paper that has 4.5 somewhere in the range, and reads in 0.5 or smaller increments, you can test the pH of your spironolactone. If it is less than 4 or more than 5, then the people who made it are most likely incompetant, and yours may have gone bad. I'm getting this information from Bryan's and other people's posts on HLH.

I made my own spironolactone from tablets, and it did not stink at all. It still had the minti smell of the tablets. I'm sure had I added enough oleic acid to drop the pH to 4.5, it would stay that way, though I lost the vial and will have to make more.

WilliamHung

Reaction score
Update: I have added 1% Nizoral to my regime. I plan on using it 2-3 times a week. I havent been using the 5% spironolactone as often as i should cause the smell is so horrible. I can only use it at night. So im trying to use it everynight but it turns out to be more like 4-5 times a week. But i have notice some small hairs growing on my forehead, should be a good sign.

WilliamHung

Reaction score
Wow this post is soooo old and now I'm back to where I started...over 10 years later

My hair held up longer than I expected...i stayed on minoxidil and proscar then got the indian pharmacy version (can't remember the name) but once I ran out of that I did not order anymore (don't know if it would lead to any side effects in the future)...This was maybe 3 years ago....My temples started to thin out more then so i was no longer able to part my hair in the middle. I parted it to the side and it provided more coverage.

UPDATE 6/19/17:
For the past 1-2 months I have been losing a lot of hair. I was always focused on my hairline and neglected to pay attention to the back and top of my head and that is where it seems to have taken a turn for the worse recently. I stopped minoxidil about 4-5 months ago but recently got back on it a month ago...I dont know if this has caused more shedding or not.

I use it once in the morning and once in the evening (sometimes i forget in the evenings)

I also shampo with nizoral sometimes.

I have not kept up with the latest advancements or technology so I don't know what works now so please give me any suggestions

Honestly, I think it looks bad and may be time to give up and shave my head...but let me know what you think and if its still hope.

Thanks

Attachments

• 20170618_222031.jpg
    20170618_222031.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 328
  • 20170613_175059.jpg
    20170613_175059.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 301
  • 20170618_222216.jpg
    20170618_222216.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 318
  • 20170618_222130.jpg
    20170618_222130.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 327

Rudiger

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Woah a decade on, it's like a Linklater film.

I'm sorry to say but you are right, it's bad, and I only have 1 picture to go off but I doubt that combover is convincing, and even with it the hairline is beyond NW3, aka no man's land.

If you aren't considering a hair transplant it's probably time to shave or keep it very short, you at least have enough hair to keep it really short and have a strip of stubble. But that's about it.

zarazakka

My Regimen
Reaction score
Lol wow I'm amazed you remembered your login details all these years later! I used to post around then too and can't remember my details for the life of me.

I'd agree with Rudiger, I don't think that your current hairstyle can look good, it's basically a combover. Stopping minoxidil is highly likely to have lead to a shed, and your progressive loss would likely have been held back by finasteride. Definitely buzz your hair short it'll look better and make it ridiculously easy to apply minoxidil foam, jump back on finasteride, nizoral EOD and see if you can regain what you've lost over the couple years. Most importantly though ditch the combover, it's time!!

WilliamHung

Reaction score
Hahaha thanks for the advice...I can't believe i found this post..its crazy to think of all that have taken place in the last 10 years. What is the new source and price range for finasteride now a days? Any new side effects????

michel sapin

My Regimen
Reaction score
@WilliamHung wow man you scared me ; so you have bee taking propecia for 10 years ?
And you're hair have receded like this despite propecia and minoxidil ?

Last edited: