William Lowry : New Study After Lactate Production / Topical Inhibition Of The Electron Transport Ch

Noisette

Established Member
Reaction score
Topical inhibition of the electron transport chain can stimulate the hair cycle
26th October 2017 published on Journal of Investigative Dermatology

Abstract
While many signaling pathways have been implicated in control of activation of adult hair follicle stem cells and the hair cycle, less is known about cell intrinsic mechanisms of stem cell control. We previously identified lactate production as a key cell intrinsic regulator of hair follicle stem cell activity, suggesting that cellular metabolism is important in stem cell activation. Others have used transgenic methods to suggest that transgenic blockade of the Electron Transport Chain (ETC) leads to degeneration of the hair follicle. Here, we show that pharmacological abrogation of ETC activity, as opposed to complete ablation of ETC, can promote hair cycle activation without significant cell toxicity. Furthermore, metabolic data suggest that ETC inhibition leads to increased pyruvate accessibility for the Ldh enzyme and therefore increased lactate production, which we previously showed can promote hair cycle activation.
Finally, this type of ETC inhibition can even be used to accelerate the hair cycle in aged mice. These results point toward an unexpected and safe method to promote hair follicle stem cell activation.

upload_2017-11-26_20-12-44.png

source: http://www.jidonline.org/article/S0022-202X(17)33093-2/fulltext

Blackber

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Topical inhibition of the electron transport chain can stimulate the hair cycle
26th October 2017 published on Journal of Investigative Dermatology

Abstract
While many signaling pathways have been implicated in control of activation of adult hair follicle stem cells and the hair cycle, less is known about cell intrinsic mechanisms of stem cell control. We previously identified lactate production as a key cell intrinsic regulator of hair follicle stem cell activity, suggesting that cellular metabolism is important in stem cell activation. Others have used transgenic methods to suggest that transgenic blockade of the Electron Transport Chain (ETC) leads to degeneration of the hair follicle. Here, we show that pharmacological abrogation of ETC activity, as opposed to complete ablation of ETC, can promote hair cycle activation without significant cell toxicity. Furthermore, metabolic data suggest that ETC inhibition leads to increased pyruvate accessibility for the Ldh enzyme and therefore increased lactate production, which we previously showed can promote hair cycle activation.
Finally, this type of ETC inhibition can even be used to accelerate the hair cycle in aged mice. These results point toward an unexpected and safe method to promote hair follicle stem cell activation.

View attachment 71149

source: http://www.jidonline.org/article/S0022-202X(17)33093-2/fulltext
Always welcome news Noisette - thanks for always sharing with us.

It seems like there's a new article every day on hairloss research. I can't help but wonder when any of it will actually have an impact on us.

HairCook

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
When I google inhibitors I end up with piscicides, neurotoxins... Doesnt really sound that safe :eek:

If someone has access to the actually fulltext it would be great if someone could post it, I assume some people can access it for free by their university.

Jk1

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Would natural youghurt lactic acid be useful here i.e vs sodium lactate ?

It has been used historicaly for acne treatments and just found out it works by balancing bacteria of skin i.e probiotic and stopping immune response.

HairCook

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Just use lactat acid 3%. There was a discussion on german forums, also dont mix it with anything due to the acid part.